View Full Version : Headlight Modulator

Ash
May 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Hello All,

Has anyone had any experience with:

http://www.headlightmodulator.com

or any other such mod, is the installation difficult?

Any thoughts on pros and cons of the mod?

Thanks!
Ash

tapdiggy
May 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
I haven't used these but I have seen bikes with this mod and it definitely increases how well other vehicles notice you on the road. If that is your goal, then it can't hurt.

mcteague
May 23rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
I have one of these. It really is just a matter of unplugging the connector from the back of the high beam, snapping in the modulator and then reattaching the connector. The only tough part is getting to it without removing the fairing. If you don't mind popping off the plastic panel it really would be a piece of cake.

I turn mine off if I'm behind someone for a while just to be nice. More than a few times I have had a car start to pull out on me and then suddenly slam on their brakes. I can't be sure it was due to the modulator but on the few times I have seen them on bikes they really help the motorcycle stand out. I have heard some discount them as they believe target fixation may cause a driver to run right into you. That seems pretty implausible IMO.

Tim

M
July 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I have no experience with those. I've used Kisan (www.kisantech.com) headlight modulators for years.

komohana
July 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
i've considered this mod several times myself...

thanx for posting

headshrink
July 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have one in the mail right now, and will probably do a write-up on it when it arrives.

mrlmd
February 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I bought both the headlight and brakelight modulators at their special price and put them on my Suzuki S50, haven't gotten around to doing it yet on my Ninja. They work well and are very easy to install. They flash the high beam 4x/sec, use a tiny photocell to work it in the daylight, shut it off in the dark (so the light doesn't flash at night). Well worth the expense IMO for greater visibility and trying to prevent the cage from turning in front of you saying "I never saw him". Sometimes the cops have to be educated that these things are legal if they happen to stop you.

OldGuy
February 7th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Check your state laws on vehicle lighting. Some states prohibit headlight modulators on anything except LE vehicles.

addy126
February 7th, 2010, 10:13 PM
http://www.ddmiller.com/hlm/US_HLM_Law.asp

Federal Law developed trumps all 50 states regarding the use of motorcycle headlight modulators.:thumbup: States would be in violation with any law subscribing to penalize the use of this accessory. This info found on other threads and websites submitting the same info on H/L modulators.

Rayme
February 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I'm probably going to get one this year... good for some of those single lane highways, I'm sure a flashing light coming from far away is going to make most people slow down at least.

I've seen a goldwing with one of those in the upcoming lane once, the bike really stands out.

mrlmd
February 8th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I was going to say the same thing as addy126. These are legal throughout the US, in any state, but it may be advisable to keep a copy of the US Code of Federal Regulations with you just in case you get stopped by an uneducated LEO and you get a ticket (unlikely) and go to court to fight it. The Regs can be printed from addy126's link, or from any site that sells these things.

headshrink
February 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I was going to say the same thing as addy126. These are legal throughout the US, in any state, but it may be advisable to keep a copy of the US Code of Federal Regulations with you just in case you get stopped by an uneducated LEO and you get a ticket (unlikely) and go to court to fight it. The Regs can be printed from addy126's link, or from any site that sells these things.

Just a reminder to be very respectful to the LEO. Some may need their precious little egos stroked, but don't kiss ass either because they will smell it. I would give them the benefit of the doubt since it is a pretty new law (not really THAT new, but we are stoking the relationship a little), and talk about how important safety is, blah, blah, blah. The last thing you want to be is "right," get out of a little fix-it ticket, just to find yourself with some form of moving violation (for what ever they dream up, legit or not) because the LEO has to save face.

I'm pouring it on a little thick here merely for illustration.... but hopefully you get my point.

greg737
February 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Well worth the expense IMO for greater visibility and trying to prevent the cage from turning in front of you saying "I never saw him".

This is so true. You can actually see the cagers seeing you!

They start their spur-of-the-moment, huge-swooping, direct-to-starbucks multi-lane-crossing left hand turn only to suddenly see your flashing headlight. It's sooo satisfying to leave a gigantic SUV sitting in the median, rocking in it's own tire smoke as you ride by.

The real fun comes when you see a BMW bike coming toward you with it's OEM headlight modulator blinking. (You may be aware of the fact that BMW riders are much more enlightened, intelligent, and are simply more highly evolved than other motorcycle riders)

In case you didn't know BMWs come with headlight modulators as original equipment. BMW riders think their bikes are the only bikes with headlight modulators so when they see me coming with my headlight modulator flashing they assume it's another BMW so they start to wave only to realize at the last moment it's a lowly EX-250. They usually yank their waving hand back down as quickly as they can. Always good for a laugh.

headshrink
February 9th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I can also vouch for a couple of experiences where I am pretty sure it was the modulator that made the difference between dodging cars and not dodging them.... although it is difficult to really know definitively since I didn't get hit. I had one guy at a light pull along side me though, and get my attention to tell me my "headlight is broken because it keeps flashing" - LOL. I told him it was just a safety device, and couldn't tell if the look he gave was because he was annoyed or just embarased...

I didn't know that about BMWs - that interesting. While I won't argue with you about BMWs being fine pieces of machinery, I do take issue with anyone who calls a Ninjette "lowly." These sexy sleepers are a hell of a lot cheaper than BMWs, which makes 250r owners a LOT smarter than BMW owners ;)

Alex
February 9th, 2010, 11:23 PM
(he's kidding about BMW's) :)

headshrink
February 10th, 2010, 01:43 AM
And I thought I was beginning to catch on - oh well, I'll never intimately know a BMW, beer man's salary and all....

sprale
February 15th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I did the rear, with additional lights in the empty pods. Makes a huge difference (especially after being rear-ended). I thought long and hard about doing the headlight as well, but ended up just going with a Silverstar instead. Some drivers get aggressive when passed by a bike with one, I had thought they assumed the rider an LEO.

mrlmd
February 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM
On my S50 I put 2 additional bright LED lights on the rear, connected to the brakelight through the modulator. All 3 of these brakelights flash for 4 seconds 8 or 9 times, when you first apply either front or rear brake, then light steady as long as the brakes are applied. They are very useful to alert someone behind you that your are slowing down, and are bright enough to be seen in any daylight. I don't ever want to hear some a$$hole saying he didn't see me.

FocusDave
May 12th, 2010, 05:57 PM
is there any headlight modulators cheaper than 70$ ? :|

tapdiggy
May 13th, 2010, 06:34 AM
is there any headlight modulators cheaper than 70$ ? :|

loosen your upper fairing supports and ride on bumpy roads

FocusDave
May 13th, 2010, 09:00 AM
sounds like only a partial fix, Tapdiggy

tapdiggy
May 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM
sounds like only a partial fix, Tapdiggy

Judicious removal of magnets from your generator? Just enough to weaken your charging system. It is the Harley method.