View Full Version : Headlight tint question

Jiu Jitsu Player
May 19th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Has anyone had any experience with Scratch-on type headlight tints? I am interested in getting a dark smoke film and was wondering how much it reduces the light from the headlight. Would I need to get HIDs prior to doing a mod of this type? Obviously it will reduce the visibility of the headlight somewhat, but I was wondering to what degree. For instance- If I ride with my brights on at night with the tint would it be similar to riding at night with low beams on & no tint? TIA.

DirtyBoy
May 19th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I have light smoke and there is still a noticable difference in light output. I run my brights on at night and don't ever get flashed or messed with buy the cops. I seem to recall that light smoke reduces light output buy 15% vs. 30% for the dark.

kkim
May 19th, 2009, 11:10 PM
okay... dumb question here. Why would you want to put something on your headlight that will result in less light output? :confused:

Jiu Jitsu Player
May 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM
That's the thing- if I can get the same light output as stock (or pretty close) with HIDS and tint, then I'm cool with that. I just like the tinted look personally. Visibility definitely takes priority, which is why I'm asking about the effects. 30% reduction sounds about right and with that in mind I won't even consider doing this mod without upgrading to HIDS or some higher output lighting first.

DirtyBoy
May 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM
okay... dumb question here. Why would you want to put something on your headlight that will result in less light output? :confused: Looks of course :D It's pretty easy and cheap to find bulbs that will make up the difference in light output or you can just keep your high beams on. If there was no way of making up the difference then I wouldn't do it.

Bsmith
May 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Sorry for the late reply. I have the dark smoke. I t was given to me. It cuts a substantial amount of light output. I'd say with the high beams on it is equal to my wife's '09 on low. It looks good but not the safest. I'll try and take pictures for you.
EDIT: The bikes are sitting side by side. Mine on the left. First is low beam and second is high.

Jiu Jitsu Player
May 25th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the pic. Strange it looks like your bike is putting out an equal amount of light, if not more. Maybe its more noticeable in the dark.

Bsmith
May 25th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Your right the one on the left is the wife's '09 without the tint.

Jiu Jitsu Player
May 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Ok makes more sense now. If you get a chance can you post up some darker shots so it really shows the light difference more? TIA.

tjkamper
May 26th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I'm with KKim on this one. Why reduce Visibility on a Motorcycle.

I think tinted headlights look awsome on cages, when the lights are turned off. On a bike you always have your lights on so I don't even think the look would be as good as with cars. I personally never have liked smoked headlights when the lights are on.

Bsmith
May 26th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Ok makes more sense now. If you get a chance can you post up some darker shots so it really shows the light difference more? TIA.
That's a bout as dark as I can get it. That's 9PM and a rain shower. Sorry.