View Full Version : Rear brake reservoir bent?

joecool
October 18th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Hey guys,

After installing an adjustable rear set i notice that my brake reservoir tube is bent? Anyone have this issue? How do I fix it without cutting and resizing tube?

Thxs:)

cuong-nutz
October 18th, 2014, 01:59 PM
If you don't want to cut, just get some flat stock, drill some holes and extend the reservoir higher.

Motofool
October 18th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Hey guys,

After installing an adjustable rear set i notice that my brake reservoir tube is bent? Anyone have this issue? How do I fix it without cutting and resizing tube?

Thxs:)

More tips; unless the hose could contact the tire and get some abrassion:
-Rotate the wire hanger clockwise and relocate hose.
-Slide a hose of bigger diameter or a tight spring over the kinked portion.

csmith12
October 18th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Being bent/crimped that much is only part of your problem. You will/may find out when you change the rear tire and can't pump up the rear brake again after compressing the caliper piston. You need to get it straighter using one of the methods above, or a more appropriate length line. I aint saying your brake will not work, just saying it will have a very hard time pumping back up. And for full disclosure; Mine has been crimped like that for 1.5yrs. lol

csmith12
October 18th, 2014, 06:28 PM
More tips; unless the hose could contact the tire and get some abrassion:
-Rotate the wire hanger clockwise and relocate hose.
-Slide a hose of bigger diameter or a tight spring over the kinked portion.

Total cost of fixes 0 dollars. A rear brake that works the way you expect it to, priceless. :)

joecool
October 18th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Ill look into the fixes above thxs!

I think the best bet is to cut to size.

Im sure im not the only ones with adjustable rear sets, what does everyone else do?
Posted via Mobile Device

joecool
October 18th, 2014, 06:55 PM
If you don't want to cut, just get some flat stock, drill some holes and extend the reservoir higher.

Thxs! Whats flat stock?
Posted via Mobile Device

k-os
October 18th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Here's one I made with some aluminum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CHEESEWHiZ/2008%20Ninja%20250R/2010-03-07133417.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CHEESEWHiZ/2008%20Ninja%20250R/2010-03-07133434.jpg

csmith12
October 18th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Ill look into the fixes above thxs!

I think the best bet is to cut to size.

Im sure im not the only ones with adjustable rear sets, what does everyone else do?
Posted via Mobile Device

I am not sure if you have messed with brake lines before, but cutting it is not for the novice. There are many reasons brake lines are made the way there are.

Try the easy stuff first, and then go for the remount if needed. You will thank yourself later when you have no problems that were not there before.

:thumbup:

joecool
October 19th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Here's one I made with some aluminum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CHEESEWHiZ/2008%20Ninja%20250R/2010-03-07133417.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CHEESEWHiZ/2008%20Ninja%20250R/2010-03-07133434.jpg

Cool thxs!! That looks good :)
Posted via Mobile Device

nickjpass
October 19th, 2014, 09:32 AM
had a similar issue.

alex.s
October 19th, 2014, 09:37 AM
it's a oil safe rubber hose that costs like, $2 if you want to replace it... just cut an inch or two off of it and put it back on.

nickjpass
October 19th, 2014, 09:45 AM
replace clips too

joecool
October 19th, 2014, 07:55 PM
it's a oil safe rubber hose that costs like, $2 if you want to replace it... just cut an inch or two off of it and put it back on.

Gonna have to have a shop do it, I don't feel comfortable bleeding the brake after adjusting the hose.

jkv45
October 20th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Gonna have to have a shop do it, I don't feel comfortable bleeding the brake after adjusting the hose.

You aren't dealing with the brake line - that's the reservoir line.

It's not under pressure, and it doesn't have special fittings on the ends.

In your case, the line is just too long. You can drain the line and reservoir without affecting the brakes - if you don't touch the pedal.

Drain it out and cut some off of the end. If the protective hose over the line won't move you may need to make cuts on both ends, and you need to leave some room for the original clamp.

No need to take it to a shop. If you can install the rearsets and get them adjusted properly you can make the alteration to the line.

joecool
October 20th, 2014, 08:54 PM
You aren't dealing with the brake line - that's the reservoir line.

It's not under pressure, and it doesn't have special fittings on the ends.

In your case, the line is just too long. You can drain the line and reservoir without affecting the brakes - if you don't touch the pedal.

Drain it out and cut some off of the end. If the protective hose over the line won't move you may need to make cuts on both ends, and you need to leave some room for the original clamp.

No need to take it to a shop. If you can install the rearsets and get them adjusted properly you can make the alteration to the line.

Cool! Thxs a lot, I'll give it a try:D

joecool
October 20th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Total cost of fixes 0 dollars. A rear brake that works the way you expect it to, priceless. :)

Lol!