View Full Version : riding etiquette

executor
May 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I apologize if this has been asked before but i could not find the topic via the search function.

I was out riding tonight and saw a group of 3 bikes, i swung around and kind of just followed them for a bit wanting to join their group. Is this acceptable or not? They lost me pretty quickly on their gsxrs but prior to that at a red light they all kind of grouped around me to take a look at my little ninja.

Is it weird to kind of just start following a group of riders you don't know or do people do that frequently?

Alex
May 20th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Yes. :rotflmao:

sm0kediver
May 21st, 2009, 03:41 AM
That's perfectly normal behavior... if you're a scary stalker and you normally follow people around while walking or driving a car :D
Otherwise, probably a bad idea.

I had a good ride on the way home from work with a Gold Wing yesterday though. He left room for me at the first stop light, I pulled up beside him, and we had a good running conversation at stop lights for about ten miles.

Snake
May 21st, 2009, 04:21 AM
I would say wait for one of them to make the invitation to join in. If none is given than just ride your normal pace and route.

DerTeufel
May 21st, 2009, 05:06 AM
I've had great impromptu rides like that at times.

BlueTyke
May 21st, 2009, 07:02 AM
Um... I would say it's kind of weird... I have fallen in behind bikes on the freeway and they didn't seem to mind but I didn't follow them. But I have never (unless I knew someone in the group) Joined (as in followed for more than a few miles) a group of people I have never met while actually on the road.

CC Cowboy
May 21st, 2009, 08:24 AM
Bikers are pretty easy going maniacs. If you stop at a light or stop sign just ask them where they are headed. If they want you to join them they will usually just say "wanna come along", then they will ride like idiots to try to lose you (maybe that's just me). If you keep up they will think you're OK. If you fall behind, but eventually get there, they will ridicule you, but only in fun. If they don't say anything, well you get the idea.

capt_bugaloo
May 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM
Try doing that with some Hell's Angels... :ride:

djindia23
May 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
well im not gonna lie... on the highway i've kinda of paced behind a group of bikes... its funny cuz one guy on a busa was tellin me to follow them but the guy on the R6 seemed kinda like a prick... but its not like i go into the middle of their formation or ride up their a$$... i keep like a good 4-5 car lengths back and i mean they lose me pretty quick if they are going over like 95-100... but usually as long as you're not in their way or anything people around here dont mind...

KJohnson21
May 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Around town, I, or another rider, might say "Hi" at a stop light. It's usually just a friendly way to kill time, but if you wanted to hang out with them, that's a good time to introduce yourself. They might be OK with that, or they might laugh at you. You might have to go through a few of the laughing clowns to get to the nice ones.

My weekend commute is a 300 mile round trip on the freeway. I see other motorcyclists frequently. Sometimes, I get another rider going about the same pace, and we might stay together for several miles until one of us exits or something. But, I don't remember ever "pairing up" in those circumstances, where you're riding staggered within a cars length like I might if I was with a buddy.

Avoid the "stalking" technique. You never know what people might do if you freak them out.

CC Cowboy
May 21st, 2009, 02:56 PM
Try doing that with some Hell's Angels... :ride:

Hells Angels are just misunderstood bikers. Can't we all get along. Reminds me of Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Snake
May 21st, 2009, 03:12 PM
Hells Angels are just misunderstood bikers. Can't we all get along. Reminds me of Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Tequila!!!

executor
May 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM
thanks for the feedback, now i know not to be a stalker :eek:

i just didn't know if ppl randomly started riding together or not, seems i won't get much respect from the ss crowd on my 250 anyway. i just have to try and convince a friend to buy a bike lol.

sm0kediver
May 22nd, 2009, 03:42 AM
I think it's pretty easy to strike up a friendship when it just happens, like you're both headed the same way and stopping at the same lights. When you have to turn around to chase them down, they're automatically on the defensive. Post on here. There are probably forum members close to you.

CC Cowboy
May 22nd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Just be yourself when you ride. If you are friendly, then you have no problem talking to anyone. If you are shy, then you probably are afraid to even wave.

I'm on the shy side so I just roar past every other bike I see on the road (usually at twice their speed and about two inches away from their handlebars). That way they won't even think about talking to me.

sm0kediver
May 22nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
The version of the last post I got in my mailbox was a lot funnier :D

CC Cowboy
May 22nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
I thought it might be taken wrong so that one is between you and me.

sm0kediver
May 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Gotcha

Funniest damned thing I have seen all week though :thumbup:

zeroth
May 26th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Great, now you got me curious! Come on, share!

gizmogamez
May 26th, 2009, 09:41 AM

i just didn't know if ppl randomly started riding together or not, seems i won't get much respect from the ss crowd on my 250 anyway. i just have to try and convince a friend to buy a bike lol.

I've often been getting gas or a snack while out on a ride and started talking to other riders. I find that if they are just out for a joy ride like I am we usually end up riding together. There are some nice twists not far from where I am and I find I have no problem keeping up with them in the twists (usually it's me having to slow down so I don't hit them from behind lol) but if they go faster then the 160km/h top speed of the ninjette they are always good and slow to wait for me to catch up if they do decide to rip on a straight away.

BlueTyke
May 26th, 2009, 09:46 AM

I know we all simply love Ninjette.org but I am pretty sure most places have local forums. It is a great way to meet people. I feel more comfortable riding with someone I have met on here/on any other forums I am on than just tagging along. I would check and see if there are any London riding forums. Not all are going to be just two fifty based but your in it for the ride. Also if you find the right group, they won't care what you ride as long as you do it safely.

I thought it might be taken wrong so that one is between you and me.

Gotcha

Funniest damned thing I have seen all week though :thumbup:

I am with Zeroth on this one... Fess up...

CC Cowboy
May 26th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I don't know what ur talking about