View Full Version : Electrical problem....

Verus Cidere
May 21st, 2009, 10:25 PM
Hey guys...

I need some ideas on where my electrical problem could be. My bike has had a problem of (seemingly) shorting out in the rain and dying on me in the middle of the road. I thought we fixed it, as we found a sensor on the left side of the bike (sorry guys, I'm a complete newb when it comes to tech stuff, so I couldn't tell you what it is) that was a little uncovered. We (my dad and I) wrapped it with some electrical tape and the bike stopped shorting out for a while, but it started again tonight. Should I just get some new electrical tape or is the problem more serious?

Apex
May 23rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
Just wrapping it with tape won't work. Especially if it is right by the motor. Try some high-temp RTV or a similar sealant (for a cheap fix).

If it is part of the connection going into the sensor, you could save a good deal of time and trouble by just replacing the sensor itself. That is what I would do. You find something wrong, you fix it, and then you don't have to worry about it for a LONG time. :D

Verus Cidere
May 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
That's a good point. My biggest problem is, I can't replicate the problem without rain. We tried using a hose, but apparently I couldn't get it quite right except on that one spot, and that wasn't nearly as bad as the actual problem. But I really have no sure way of testing it without a rainstorm, and those don't come very often around here. :(