View Full Version : Upgrading my tires.... soon.

LittleRedNinjette
October 27th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Im thinking by the start of next season. I am developing an issue here... :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/uV1TRuJl.jpg

I'm looking at the pilot road 3s. I want to up the sizes. Im interested to see wat the largest rear anyone has put on. I would like to go 150 or 160.

Thinking 120 on the front...

Opinions? Advice?

Thanks! :D

Sirref
October 27th, 2014, 04:43 PM
why up the size? if it's more straight line stability you want just wear the tire down a bit for a bigger contact patch :p

I like michelin as a tire manufacturer, I ran michelins on my golf, I run them on my 300, and I run them on my truck and I have yet to have any issues with them. While I'd go with the street radials (which I did and don't regret) the pilot road 3s will be roughly the same quality except in bigger sizes which you want. I say go for it, so long as the rubber isn't rubbing on anything you should be fine. I think a 150 is the max with our swing-arm though. A 120 in the front won't be an issue.

I feel for me with bike tires it's always going to be michelin vs pirelli though. Michelin for the streets with their long lasting and still grippy tires (especially in the wet omg) and pirelli for track with their softer rubber. With a larger bike dunlops enter the equation but it's still michelin/pirelli in the lead for my $

Alex
October 27th, 2014, 04:47 PM
The Pilot Streets will likely perform better, both providing more traction and lasting just as long. I'm a huge fan of the Pilot Road series, and have been through dozens of sets of them on other bikes (original, 2's, and 3's). But they are not going to be better on these light bikes than tires designed for much lower weight and hp.

ninjamunky85
October 27th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Go up a size if you want but I wouldn't recommend it. I went with a 150 Metzeler M5 rear when I changed my tires and I have 1/2" chicken strips that I'll never get rid of. That part of the tire is at almost a 90 degree angle because of being squeezed by the rim.

I'll be going back to a 140 rear the next time.

LittleRedNinjette
October 27th, 2014, 05:00 PM
I think the larger size look better, i admit it. :lol:

If i do make it on the track i will probably get a set of tack tires. These i want for a good daily driver and weekend fun on the streets. My boyfriend loves the road 3s he has on his Buell.

I would look at the streets to, i was leaning to the roads because he loves them.

ninjamunky85
October 27th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I think the larger size look better, i admit it. :lol:

The thing is that they don't really look any wider. They just look like they've been squeezed on a rim that is too small. I'm also running a 150/60-17 on my 450 with the sm wheels, but it's got a 5" wide rim, and the tire look much wider than the 150 on my 300.

LittleRedNinjette
October 27th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Do you have a picture of that? I would be interested in seeing it if you dont mind.

ninjamunky85
October 27th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I'd be glad to tomorrow when it's light out again. Stupid shorter days lol.

LittleRedNinjette
October 27th, 2014, 05:20 PM
The Pilot Streets will likely perform better, both providing more traction and lasting just as long. I'm a huge fan of the Pilot Road series, and have been through dozens of sets of them on other bikes (original, 2's, and 3's). But they are not going to be better on these light bikes than tires designed for much lower weight and hp.

On the streets, how many miles did you get out of them?

Do the still have the duel compound? That's one of the big selling points for the roads for me.

LittleRedNinjette
October 27th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I'd be glad to tomorrow when it's light out again. Stupid shorter days lol.

Cool, thanks. :)

Yeah, the shorter days suck. :(

Alex
October 27th, 2014, 05:56 PM
On the streets, how many miles did you get out of them?

Do the still have the duel compound? That's one of the big selling points for the roads for me.

I haven't burned through all of my DR2's yet (one set left to go), so haven't had a chance to use the Streets yet. The mileage and performance info I'm sharing comes from folks like Rojo, approaching 14k miles on the rear, with a very quickly ridden bike. (link to his review (https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181591))

I don't believe that the Pilot Streets are using a dual compound design, but with plenty of performance and very long mileage on the existing compound, it's not much of a trade-off on these bikes. Neither of the compounds on the PR3 would be optimal for the ninjette. Michelin's tire fitment guide is attached, they plainly recommend the Streets for our bike (page 58 of the attachment).

Sirref
October 27th, 2014, 06:03 PM
it's advertised as a dual compound tire, I can't really tell though because I don't lean the bike over often enough in comparison to my commuting riding. The tires do wear amazingly though, My bike is ridden like rojo's except a good deal slower and they've already lasted longer than the IRCs did.

Alex
October 27th, 2014, 06:39 PM
it's advertised as a dual compound tire

Link?

On Michelin's site it says nothing about a dual compound; while it does say that on tires that do include that technology.

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-pilot-street-radial

Sirref
October 27th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Link?

On Michelin's site it says nothing about a dual compound; while it does say that on tires that do include that technology.

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-pilot-street-radial

my mistake entirely, I believed it was but when I went back to check the review I realized it was a Road 3 that was being reviewed :doh: still a good tire though

LoneRonin
October 27th, 2014, 06:56 PM
The thing is that they don't really look any wider. They just look like they've been squeezed on a rim that is too small. I'm also running a 150/60-17 on my 450 with the sm wheels, but it's got a 5" wide rim, and the tire look much wider than the 150 on my 300.

can you put 300 wheels on a 250? The rear rim is a half inch wider I believe.

OP if you're going to run 150's make sure its a 150/60 not 150/70, that one will give you a stupidly big sidewall...

LittleRedNinjette
October 28th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the info Alex. Guess i could have done a search for some of that... :o

I kinda like the idea of putting a sticky front on with the roads or streets on the back. I'll have to look into that more. Though i dont know if that would makea big difference on the streets...

pratik06
October 28th, 2014, 06:36 AM
I'm looking at the pilot road 3s. I want to up the sizes. Im interested to see wat the largest rear anyone has put on. I would like to go 150 or 160.

Thinking 120 on the front...

Opinions? Advice?

Thanks! :D

My opinion is based on my experience, there are people over here with more experience than me and may have a different opinion. So please don't shoot me :)...

I am currently running Metzeler M5s on Brembo rims. Due to the size of the rim I had no choice but to upsize the tyres. I am currently running a 120/60/17 in the front and a 150/60/17 at the rear.

The stock tyres have difference of 21mm in the height i.e. height of front tyre is 77 mm and height of the rear tyre is 98 mm, thus the difference between them is 21 mm.

When you upsize to 120/60 and 150/60 this difference in height changes to 18mm i.e height of the front tyre is now 72 mm and height of the rear tyre is 90 mm, thus the 3 mm difference. This 3 mm may or may not seem significant to you.

Also the rolling circumference of the stock tyre (rear) is 1972mm whereas for the 150/60 it will be 1922mm. A difference of 50mm. This 50mm reduction will result in higher indicated speed vs. actual speed i.e. speedo error will increase. The more important thing is that it will also reduce your top speed by 4 kms.

Upsizing the tyres has consequences, good/bad is something you will need to decide for yourself. Plenty of friends have upsized to 150/60 on the stock rim and they say the bike is absolutely fine. However, whenever I try out their bikes I find the handling has changed and I am not very comfortable with how it handles with a upsized tyre on a stock rim.

csmith12
October 28th, 2014, 06:46 AM
If you want a 120 on the front, get a 120. It aint gunna be a big deal overall. You might even like it more. When crazy hard on the brakes, I can feel a big difference between the 110 and 120, the 120 is more stable. Otherwise, I have found nothing earth shaking.

LittleRedNinjette
October 28th, 2014, 08:30 AM
OP if you're going to run 150's make sure its a 150/60 not 150/70, that one will give you a stupidly big sidewall...

I'll look into that but the ones i'm leaning to only come in 150/70, 160/60, 160/70. So not sure how that will affect my buying decision yet. Thanks for the heads up though.

At least i have time to plenty of decide. :)

If you want a 120 on the front, get a 120. It aint gunna be a big deal overall. You might even like it more. When crazy hard on the brakes, I can feel a big difference between the 110 and 120, the 120 is more stable. Otherwise, I have found nothing earth shaking.

Thats cool, better stopping is always a good thing. :D

csmith12
October 28th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Thats cool, better stopping is always a good thing. :D

I didn't say it was "better", that will depend on your riding goals. :) During a race/track day and want more stability under hard braking, a 120 is an option. But it comes at a sacrifice of flick rate, the wider tire's profile doesn't flick as fast as a 110 or smaller unless the rider can counter it with a harder countersteer. Pro's and cons ya know...

LittleRedNinjette
October 28th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Ahh, i gotcha. I'll get all this eventually. :)

joecool
October 28th, 2014, 09:27 AM
I have 160-60-17 and 120-60-17 with no problems and still look like I have space to add bigger:)

LittleRedNinjette
October 28th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Dang, got any pics?? :D

subxero
October 28th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Oh that tire is practically still a virgin, tons of life left. I think I got 10k out of my IRC rear. I replaced it with Pirelli Sport Demon because I still had stock IRC up front at the time :rolleyes: I don't anticipate my Sport demon rear making it past 5k miles :( 2k in and it shows good bit of wear already
IRC's 4LIFE!!! :dancecool:

Ill probably give the Michelin pilot street radials a try next for sure :thumbup:

LittleRedNinjette
October 28th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Haha, yea i know its still got some good life left. Thats why i said next season. I just want to replace it befor it looks like a blockhead.. Like that. :lol:

eddiekay
October 28th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Teri,,,read up on Duro...I think...HF918....just got a set for about $140 thanks to OLd3...feel sticky, cheap, nicely reviewed.

LittleRedNinjette
October 29th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Damn thats cheap. They don't seem to have the sizes i want though. It would be a good option if i blew a tire though. :thumbup:

eddiekay
October 29th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Not all distribs had same sizes? WTF...I went to Denis Kirk. So..I dunno

LittleRedNinjette
October 29th, 2014, 06:22 AM
I didn't check everywhere. But i'm upping the sizes on the front and back so thats probably why. The site i looked at did show the stock tire size in that model.

InvisiBill
November 4th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Not exactly the same, but here are pics of my 500 with the stock-size Avon RoadRider (130/70) and Pilot Power (150/60) on the VRossi wheel.

http://www.invisibill.net/ninja/vrossistock1.jpg

http://www.invisibill.net/ninja/vrossistock2.jpg

130 vs. 150 is 20mm wider in theory. That's about 4/5 of an inch. It makes it look a little beefier back there, but it's really not a huge difference. On the 300 with a 140 stock, you're talking about an extra 5mm on each side, or an extra 10mm on each side for a 160 (which would be the same difference as my 130 -> 150, but a smaller percentage change since you're starting with a slightly wider tire).

Honestly, I did it mostly for the look. I liked the wider tire, so I did it the right way and got a wheel to match the wider tire. I stuck with a relatively small tire to avoid drastic handling changes or fitment issues, and even stuck with the stock 110/70 size in front (since the front wheel was the same width) so as to keep the steering as quick as it was.

This is copied from one of Andy's posts showing a 160/60 on the VRossi wheel for clearance on a 250. I believe the main structure of the 300 swingarm is identical to the 250's (there are some minor differences in the accessory mounts).

some clearance pic below. so far I'ver ridden it up to 8100km +- mileage with no single problem. on the road and on track. tire are shinko 011 verge radial 160/60/17

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-L8U4it3WwBA/TmGwubEr5NI/AAAAAAAAB_4/7kea4zaKpPg/s640/P9030012.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ncGdG1_3xLk/TmGwsyS4SqI/AAAAAAAAB_0/WaJUZ97SuV8/s512/P9030014.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Vb-5mA0QY4w/TmGxhLw_pvI/AAAAAAAACAA/fyc5nwUncmk/s640/P9030015.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/wandyhee/NINJA#

Different tires in the same size can vary in actual measurements. Certain brands might fit fine while others rub. It's been said that even the common +1 front sprocket pulls the wheel too far forward and leads to rubbing, so it's pretty close with a 160/60.

If they made the Pilot Street in a 150/60, I'd be using it. If the Pilot Street had come out before I bought the VRossi wheels, I might have not gotten them. I'm happy with my current setup, but the Streets seem like a great drop-in option (compared to the amount of cash I dropped for my whole swap). If I had a 300, I expect that I'd probably get the Streets in the stock sizes.

LittleRedNinjette
November 4th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the info and the pics Bill. :)

Its getting close to non riding weather so i'll start all my winter projects soon. This included. :D

allanoue
November 4th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Power Streets are THE BOMB :boom:
IMJS

LittleRedNinjette
November 5th, 2014, 06:25 AM
:lol:

Hero Danny
November 7th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Maybe you can find some used rims for cheap for the 300 and then use them with bigger tires, that way you can swap em when you please... Just in case that larger rear does cause issues.... I wouldn't go up in size on the front. I heard that causes some handling issues.

APEmike
December 23rd, 2014, 05:50 PM
All the moto GP guys use TINY tires... Thats got to count for something.

Byakkotai
December 25th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Anybody try or gonna try the Bridgestone S20 Evos in stock sizing? Contemplating a set to replace my worn DR2s

guambra2001
December 25th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I tried them, the S20, after a short life from my PRIIs. So far it's alittle early to tell but they feel good, grip is excellent, turn in is great, quick warm up time and we'll see how long they last. The pirellis only lasted 2.5k ish and that was its garbage.

Alex
December 25th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Haven't heard much about recent S20 Evos, now that they are available in the stock sizing for the 300. Would certainly be good to hear more real-world reviews. :thumbup: