View Full Version : some events really bring me to tears.

ninjabrewer
May 22nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
As most of you know, I am in socal for work, at Los Alamitos AAF. Today my boss goes around and tells everybody that, for a 1 hour period, we have to work quite because of a heros flight that was coming in. I misunderstood what he said. A little while later came the roar of Harleys outside the hanger I work in. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until later when my boss mentioned that it took awhile to get him in the hearse, because of his family ...never mind. and then I heard the bikes crank up.
I went to the door and figured it out. A young Marine came home. When the hearse left, followed by the family and the official caravan, the bikers led the way and followed in trail. Not all were HD but all looked like vets, some with lots of grey. One of the bikes flew the Marine flag, that's how I know that he was in the Marines. All flew the Stars and Stripes. Although no longer wearing a uniform, as they drove by, I came to attention and saluted our fallen hero. I had to go back inside to keep from losing it.

nb

BlueRaven
May 22nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
:hug:

zartan
May 22nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
It is amazing how you are just toodleing along and real life comes up and smacks you along side the head and says Pay attention!!

tough to see but what an honor to witness.

OldGuy
May 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Although no longer wearing a uniform, as they drove by, I came to attention and saluted our fallen hero. I had to go back inside to keep from losing it. nb

Once a brother in arms always a brother. I know that there are a lot of people that respect what our armed forces men and women have done over the years and I fully appreciate and thank them for that. Even those that don't get it. That's why you and I, and millions of others served so they could have the right to decent.

But, I think you have to have been in the service to have that one little extra bit of soul that is so naked and exposed when you see someone like you did today, or are at a ceremony, of even better the Tomb of the Unknown.

Maybe it is the realization that but for the grace of God and your buddies watching your back that could have been you.

Peace

ninjabrewer
May 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Once a brother in arms always a brother. I know that there are a lot of people that respect what our armed forces men and women have done over the years and I fully appreciate and thank them for that. Even those that don't get it. That's why you and I, and millions of others served so they could have the right to decent.

But, I think you have to have been in the service to have that one little extra bit of soul that is so naked and exposed when you see someone like you did today, or are at a ceremony, of even better the Tomb of the Unknown.

Maybe it is the realization that but for the grace of God and your buddies watching your back that could have been you.

Peace

it also is different when you have served in a combat zone, something you and I both have in common. Although, when I was there, I never left the base, part of me says I don't belong in that category, part of me says I do.

nb

ninjabrewer
May 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM

Peace

You're right, and that was in the back of my mind everyday I was there.

nb

BlueTyke
May 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM
PG riders... Patriot Guard... http://patriotguard.org/

Sound Wave
May 24th, 2009, 04:31 PM
this thread gave me chicken skin. cool story.

sometimesido
May 24th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I saw the movie Taking Chance on the way back from reserves training.
I had to leave my sunglasses on...

MtmiLdzzgGE

Sound Wave
May 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM
added to my netflix list. thanks, i have never heard of that movie.

Sailariel
May 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM
PG riders... Patriot Guard... http://patriotguard.org/

Great organization. Have been a member since I got back into biking. Lots of really neat people.

xTKx
June 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM
As most of you know, I am in socal for work, at Los Alamitos AAF. Today my boss goes around and tells everybody that, for a 1 hour period, we have to work quite because of a heros flight that was coming in. I misunderstood what he said. A little while later came the roar of Harleys outside the hanger I work in. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until later when my boss mentioned that it took awhile to get him in the hearse, because of his family ...never mind. and then I heard the bikes crank up.
I went to the door and figured it out. A young Marine came home. When the hearse left, followed by the family and the official caravan, the bikers led the way and followed in trail. Not all were HD but all looked like vets, some with lots of grey. One of the bikes flew the Marine flag, that's how I know that he was in the Marines. All flew the Stars and Stripes. Although no longer wearing a uniform, as they drove by, I came to attention and saluted our fallen hero. I had to go back inside to keep from losing it.

nb

Stories like this make me want to serve sooooo bad (I was seconds away from DEP-ing into the Marines when I was 17). It's not the "danger" factor or the "macho" factor or the "I want to look cool" factor, but simply the case that I want to serve and that I have an extremely HIGH sense of respect for the men and women in service who choose to put their life on the line to serve our country...

Prayers with his/her family...

Peace

Amen.

I saw the movie Taking Chance on the way back from reserves training.
I had to leave my sunglasses on...

added to my netflix list. thanks, i have never heard of that movie.

Wow, even the trailer touched my heart strings...
Same here, added to my Netflix, I should have it this weekend...