View Full Version : Rain, Shoes and You

krazygluon
May 23rd, 2009, 05:04 AM
I need a bit of advice...well maybe justification will suffice.

I've been riding my lil ninjette just about every day since I bought her, and plan to continue commuting (9 miles each way) with her as long as the Michigan weather will suffice.

Which means invariably rain is an element in my equation, and one that I'm not going to get off the bike for. When I bought my gear, I bought my jacket/pants with this in mind. Shoes and gloves I didn't quite think about.

I went through 2 days of light rain last week and found that my gloves were fine once they dried out, which didn't take long; but my boots were still a bit soggy the next day. Right now I'm just wearing my steel toe caterpillar boots from work.

A) Do I buy frogg toggs or their equivalent (preferably something that fold up neatly under the passenger bump) (overshoes/covers that slip on and do the waterproofing for me)

B) Since I'm riding every day do I just invest in a pair of waterproof boots

C) Better do both because even "waterproof" boots get compromised.

Keep in mind that I do have 8-14 hour days on concrete floors in a 40°F warehouse to look forward to trudging around in whatever boots I wear. (have a co-worker that wears some alpinestars boots around, he seems to be ok)

noche_caliente
May 23rd, 2009, 05:07 AM
is there any reason you have to wear the boots all day? can't you take a pair of shoes with you in a backpack or tank bag, or leave a pair at work to change into?

miks
May 23rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
Option B. Buy a proper waterproof motorbike boot.

krazygluon
May 23rd, 2009, 05:11 AM
I do have a (smallish) locker, but yes, that would be an option now that I think about it

CodE-E
May 23rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Yeah, I'd go for option B, and keep a pair of normal shoes at work.

I, in fact, may be doing the same thing, too. I don't have any motorcycling boots or pants yet, and am going to invest in some soon.

CC Cowboy
May 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Flip-flops, not just for the beach.

krazygluon
May 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Flip-flops, not just for the beach.

:thumbup:

Lol

I wound up going for a pair of Joe Rocket Meteor boots. The steel toes can hitch a ride in the cargo net tomorrow and live in my locker.

Contrary to the bike shop's advice :eek: the new boots took a 5 minute ride home, went straight onto my feet and I did another 30 miles of errand running :D They felt just fine, no bad shifts/locked rear wheels whatsoever. I am wearing them around the house today to break them in a bit more.

capt_bugaloo
May 23rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
I keep a pair of old work shoes in my office, and change my moto boots when I get there; then put the boots back on when I ride home.

M-Oorb
May 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Got a pair of waterproof apline star boots/hightop riding shoes. Been riding for 400 the past 2 days and been caught in the rain 3 times for almost an hour each time. Damn do they do their job well feet stayed completly dry the entire time. I'd say option b. The a*'s were pretty pricy but I think any pair of waterproof riding boots will get the job done and you'll stay dry...being wet while riding is no fun
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueTyke
May 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
They also have boot dryers you can get too. Plugs into the wall. I have those for my scuba boots.