View Full Version : Diesel peeps (great reading)

Desmoluci
November 3rd, 2014, 03:15 PM
Great tech articles written by renowned motorcycle tech writer Kevin Cameron.
A lot of interesting reading for anyone even remotely interested in gearhead principles.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/content/460-Kevin-Cameron-Collection

CC Cowboy
November 3rd, 2014, 04:42 PM
I loved the part about diesels being used on motorcycles in the future. When he says the torque and mileage will make the bikes more ridable with great mileage is a win win. The pictures of the girls wrenching is "pretty" cool (don't know why they need to be naked). I think, as does he, diesel bike will make electric bikes worthless. I'm not sure he has it right stating Ducati is already testing diesel bikes but I agree with him that BMW has a leg up up things. I still don't think the Japanese bikes will be 100% diesel by 2020.

Snake
November 3rd, 2014, 04:55 PM
A diesel Ninja 300 could boost our MPG to around 100. Right now I'm getting between 45 and 50 so that's not a stretch.
And yes CC I'm puzzled about the naked women wrenching on the bikes as well.

Somchai
November 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
Is a Diesel-MC really interesting?
IDK, but here are some informations about it and btw the price is around 11500 USD...
http://www.motorradmanufaktur.de/index.php?main=462&sub=technischedaten

Snake
November 3rd, 2014, 07:42 PM
Great info Roland.

Apex
November 4th, 2014, 08:26 AM
After driving in Europe, I realized that the USA is screwed. 65MPG diesels are so available there. Here, you are lucky if you can find a diesel that isn't a pickup truck that gets 15mpg.

Not to mention every single gas I-4 engine in cars like the Focus are rated higher than over here.
Focus 1.0L Ecoboost: almost 60mpg
1.6L base engine: just under 50mpg
1.6L TDCi: 68mpg

I mean, really? The Focus here is rated at 36 on the HIGHWAY. REALLY? Double the displacement, and crap mileage (which goes hand in hand). Granted, it makes just under 2x the power output. Still, 100 PS (mid/low 90's HP) was more than enough for the roads (which I did a lot of highway driving).

This is what I had in Ireland:
http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/rapid-spaceback
Diesel model, 6-spd

I drove a Volvo XC70 diesel in the UK. Way too much car for those small streets (in other words, too big).

I would have spent the extra cash to get my new Explorer in diesel.

Somchai
November 4th, 2014, 06:13 PM
In many points I've to agree with Apex and for those who don't know many about Diesels please take a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10_TDI
Mercedes is the pioneer of Diesels, but Audi made them really powerful and economical.
But one thing we also should not forget: Diesel engines are and that's confirmed in great ways responsible for lung cancer.

Apex
November 5th, 2014, 04:12 PM
But one thing we also should not forget: Diesel engines are and that's confirmed in great ways responsible for lung cancer.

I'm sure gasoline engines would produce similar results if you wrapped your mouth around the tailpipe. ;)

Does that also hold true for the tiny, ultra-clean, 4-banger diesel engines?

Somchai
November 5th, 2014, 07:34 PM
I'm sure gasoline engines would produce similar results if you wrapped your mouth around the tailpipe. ;)

Mark please do me but much more for yourself a favor and look for the answers to your question, because it is very difficult to bring factually correct arguments against millions of lies, because against them the belief will not be given.
You'll be surprised when you read the truth especially about the latest so-called 'clean systems' from qualified scientists.

CC Cowboy
November 6th, 2014, 06:12 AM

Forget about getting cancer, your mouth will get burned.

sharky nrk
November 6th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Its just a different infrastructure in Europe and diesel power units have been popular and mainstream for years. There are definitely some advantages and disadvantages. All in all we do miss out on a lot of efficient offerings here in the States as far as fuel mileage goes. But we also benefit from an overall much reduced cost profile for owning a vehicle over its lifetime.

Apex
November 6th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Mark please do me but much more for yourself a favor and look for the answers to your question, because it is very difficult to bring factually correct arguments against millions of lies, because against them the belief will not be given.
You'll be surprised when you read the truth especially about the latest so-called 'clean systems' from qualified scientists.

Just about everything these days are horrible for you.

I don't buy half of what I read because I constantly think to myself, "who paid for this 'study'?"