View Full Version : SoCal riders

ninjabrewer
May 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Looking to meet up with some socal riders. Also need to find some motorcycle shops/stores in the area. I'm looking to get some pants and boots and would like to look at some. Online is an option, but just want to touch and feel what I am buying to wear. I am in the Cypress/Los Alamitos area.

thanks

NB

RningOnFumes
May 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Welcome to Cali, Chris.

If you guys meet during the week, I hope you don't mind a cager tagging along? Summer term starts at the end of June for me. Be nice to meet some riders.

kkim
May 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
I am in the Cypress/Los Alamitos area.

where's that for us hawaii guys? :D

RningOnFumes
May 23rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
It's right beside LongBeach, CA... still considered metro-LA area.

kkim
May 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
"Ew!" ... er, I mean, "Oh". :p

B2FiNiTY
May 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM
berts mega mall is probably the best/biggest place in socal to shop for gear.

ARc
May 24th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Hey Chris! I'm in the La Palma/Buena Park area, which is right next to Cypress! If you want to get gear, the place recommended to me by my MSF instructor is Cyclegear, which is in Fullerton. Last time I scored a pair of Dainese SF pants for $250! A customer had special ordered it and decided that he didn't want it, so they had it on clearance.

I'm pretty busy during the week, because I have to get ready for my flight to Taiwan in 4 days, but I'll try to hang out with you sometime. When are you free?

00v_Lucky
May 24th, 2009, 01:58 AM
hey there, i actually live in cypress, live a block away from ball and valley view. I recommend this place in garden grove called cycle parts west. it is mostly motocross stuff but the sports section isnt bad either! it is on beach and garden grove. we should go sometime! and i have no more school work, so just tell me when youd like to meet ups (with jeff too)

ninjabrewer
May 24th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Wow, thanks guys. I am staying at the Homestead hotel on corporate av, across from Chilis, where I have been eating dinner the last several days because of the gorgeous waitresses and bartender (yes, female). My work schedule is tu-fr 630 to 5, (3 day wkends in socal, what I am going to do?) My bike is scheduled to get here next week, and I will be able to pick it up in San Diego on Monday. One of the guys I work with lives in SD and commutes daily. On the ride back from SD, anything or anywhere I need to be aware of, besides the crazy drivers?

thanks

nb

RningOnFumes
May 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Whoa, you're actually relocating? I assumed you were just here for a business trip.

00v_Lucky
May 25th, 2009, 09:44 PM
anything or anywhere I need to be aware of, besides the crazy drivers?

thanks

nb

watch out on pch, cops are cracking down hard in Huntington Beach. My friend got pulled over 3 times just because, so watch your speed over there.

eddylz18
May 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM
watch out on pch, cops are cracking down hard in Huntington Beach. My friend got pulled over 3 times just because, so watch your speed over there.

yeap cops are all over the place

mista350z
May 28th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hey i would like to meet up...need a riding buddy. im in South Orange County. CycleGear is probably a good place to check out. They have 1 in Lake Forest also.

ninjabrewer
May 28th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Whoa, you're actually relocating? I assumed you were just here for a business trip.

It is a business trip, 'cept this one last around 6 months. Then who knows.

nb

ninjabrewer
May 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I haven't forgot about anyone, I just haven't been on here in a few days. The boat is in but the person to call for a pick up appt is not answering his phone. What ever he is doing, me getting my blue baby is much more important. :D

Anywho, when I finally get it up here, I will be ready for a ride around socal.....well not all of socal, just some of it.

nb

00v_Lucky
May 28th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I will be ready for a ride around socal.....well not all of socal, just some of it.

nb

hopefully angeles crest?

inbox526
May 29th, 2009, 12:47 AM
let me know when you guys hit up a store? im looking to buy some pants and boots myself. im in diamond bar, so you guys are still pretty close haha

ninjabrewer
May 29th, 2009, 05:45 AM
hopefully angeles crest?

Where is angeles crest?

nb

Alex
May 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Milmada+Dr&amp;daddr=34.347405,-117.825623+to:Angeles+Crest+Hwy%2FCA-2&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FVj7CQIdIHr0-A%3B%3BFYSuDAId0rT9-A&amp;mra=dpe&amp;mrcr=0&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz=11&amp;via=1&amp;sll=34.307144,-117.9039&amp;sspn=0.415181,0.889893&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.307144,-117.9039&amp;spn=0.5445,0.878906&amp;z=10&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Milmada+Dr&amp;daddr=34.347405,-117.825623+to:Angeles+Crest+Hwy%2FCA-2&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FVj7CQIdIHr0-A%3B%3BFYSuDAId0rT9-A&amp;mra=dpe&amp;mrcr=0&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz=11&amp;via=1&amp;sll=34.307144,-117.9039&amp;sspn=0.415181,0.889893&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.307144,-117.9039&amp;spn=0.5445,0.878906&amp;z=10" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

ninjabrewer
May 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM
<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Milmada+Dr&amp;daddr=34.347405,-117.825623+to:Angeles+Crest+Hwy%2FCA-2&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FVj7CQIdIHr0-A%3B%3BFYSuDAId0rT9-A&amp;mra=dpe&amp;mrcr=0&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz=11&amp;via=1&amp;sll=34.307144,-117.9039&amp;sspn=0.415181,0.889893&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.307144,-117.9039&amp;spn=0.5445,0.878906&amp;z=10&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Milmada+Dr&amp;daddr=34.347405,-117.825623+to:Angeles+Crest+Hwy%2FCA-2&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FVj7CQIdIHr0-A%3B%3BFYSuDAId0rT9-A&amp;mra=dpe&amp;mrcr=0&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz=11&amp;via=1&amp;sll=34.307144,-117.9039&amp;sspn=0.415181,0.889893&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.307144,-117.9039&amp;spn=0.5445,0.878906&amp;z=10" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Whoa!

Alex
May 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Fun road, have done it a number of times and enjoyed it each time. :thumbup: They just re-opened the new section all the way out to Wrightwood, so the pavement should be pretty spectacular.

diablo250
May 30th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Anybody up for a ride tonight? I would like to meet up on the westside and go cruise-nowhere in particular. We could meet at the in-n-out @ washington/lincoln perhaps? Hit me up if you're down to roll, what time, & meeting place suggestions. I like impromptu rides.

ninjabrewer
May 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Would love to but I haven't picked up my bike from SD yet, on monday.

OK time for a rant against budget. I have had a rental cager since I got here and have extended it twice, last sat and today till monday. Here's my beef. Last week when I extended it, I asked would it be a problem to return it in SD. No problem the guy says. Today when I talked to the lady, she quoted my costs to date. When she said $1682, I flipped. That is not what rented it for. Anywho, that is the rate to return it to SD. Returning it to LAX it will be $463 and change. :wtfsign: She keeps telling me that is the rate that a one way rental is for return to SD. So I told here I would return it to LAX. Now to find a way to SD. Tried calling a coworker who lives in SD but can't reach him. Then had a idea. Called Budget back and ask the rate for 1 day p/u LAX and drop in SD, best price was $97. geez.

rant complete, we now return you to the regularly scheduled forum programming.

nb

ManyCavies
May 31st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Looking to meet up with some socal riders. Also need to find some motorcycle shops/stores in the area. I'm looking to get some pants and boots and would like to look at some. Online is an option, but just want to touch and feel what I am buying to wear. I am in the Cypress/Los Alamitos area.

thanks

NB

I like to go to Chaparral, http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/assets/html/homepage.asp?URLCheck=1
and try stuff on, but most of the time I buy from New Enough, http://www.newenough.com/

I found that Chaparral has the major brands to try on and since alot of brands don't fit me right, it's helpful. The sale items are good, but New Enough can be better. I take the info on the items I like from New Enough so I know if its a good price at Chaparral. Hope this helps. :D

ninjabrewer
June 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
And she is back at my hotel. Drove down this morning to the port, another rider picking up his bike. He's riding to Boston. BOSTON, geez. A little dusty but no new scratches, PashaHawaii did good. Got gas and got on the I-5 North. Trying to keep up with traffic has me doing 80 rather quickly.

geez. Between San Diego and LA, there is an area that isn't quite as populated as the rest of the socal area. Traffic thinned out and I settled on a steady 70......or so. Oh wait I can go car pool lane. woohoo. And you wouldn't believe how much the ride smoothed out. These lanes are barely used. Going down, my partner and I hit the car pool lane and the rest of the freeway was at a crawl, we had PLENTY of road. It seems not many people car pool here.
The freeways are rough in many places and I was bouncing around rather bad and changing lanes to find a smooth one, you guessed it, the car pool lane. As I got back into the more populated areas, traffic picked up and I am going 75 in a 65 and getting passed like, well like road kill, a couple of bikes pass me and give me the wave, cool dudes. Giving the wave at 85.

Lil blu got back in really good time, I don't think I dropped below 70 for practically the entire ride back. To be honest, when I hit 85 once of twice, I really didn't know this bike went that fast, but the little engine that could.....did. And I am glad that I brought the liner for my mesh jacket with me to pick it up. Even with the liner I was shivering a few times, it was COLD.

So now, my bike is here and maybe I can go for ride this weekend. Now I just need to change the oil.......and get more aggressive on the road.

nb

00v_Lucky
June 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM
lets go for a quick bite to eat and visit a local motorcycle store, yes?

Beast
June 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Welcome to California Chris haha :)

I'm up to ride the Crest with you (and the others) on a weekend once you get everything settled down here. Pacific Coast Highway is great...if you like riding next to the beach, but that's about all it has going for it haha.

Let me know.

ASecretNinja
June 6th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Im joining this thread late, but I hope you're still checking it.

Couldn't help but notice your name, are you a home brewer? I've done a little, but I prefer to drink the good stuff that other people have already made, haha. You ever been to Pizza Port? If you ever wanna go some time, just let me know. We probably shouldn't mix bikes and beer though, so might have to roll cager style..

ninjabrewer
June 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Welcome to California Chris haha :)

I'm up to ride the Crest with you (and the others) on a weekend once you get everything settled down here. Pacific Coast Highway is great...if you like riding next to the beach, but that's about all it has going for it haha.

Let me know.

Would love to sometime, road down PCH yesterday, was windy and rather nipply. I will be glad when it finally warms up. Too many things shrink up at the beach when it is so chilly, esp at San Onofre.

Couldn't help but notice your name, are you a home brewer? I've done a little, but I prefer to drink the good stuff that other people have already made, haha. You ever been to Pizza Port? If you ever wanna go some time, just let me know. We probably shouldn't mix bikes and beer though, so might have to roll cager style..

I brewed my own in the past, but I haven't in a while, due to moving around so much. I still have my equipment and intend to get back into it sometime in the future. Where do you live?

nb

diablo250
June 8th, 2009, 11:28 AM
who's up for a wednesday ride this week? I'm feeling PCH....

00v_Lucky
June 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM
im up for pch on wed. only if there is 3+ :)

fjyang
June 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hey guys, Ken is planning a ACH ride on 20th of June Sunday so I though I let you guys know and hope we can get a good showing for the Socal riders and finally meet most of you.

inbox526
June 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Thats so weird, I thought going 80 on the freeway was just the way it always was. Everyone goes 80, cager or not. Its kinda weird hearing someone tell us cali people that its faster than they're used to. Is it just us that go too fast all the time? (I drive 80 all the time >.>)

ninjabrewer
June 15th, 2009, 05:51 PM
When I picked up my bike and rode it from San Diego to Cypress, was the longest I had ever been on the freeway/interstate. When I first got on it, I was just trying to stay with traffic and not get ran over and ended up doing over 80. That was the fastest I had ever my bike. I finally found the smoothest lane in the carpool lane and settled down around 70/75. But I still got passed like I was road kill.

nb

Jester
June 24th, 2009, 07:04 PM
When my bike gets fixed up or looked over I'd love to get more people together for rides here in the LA area or pch. You absolutely have to ride the ACH before you leave Cali. It's definitely in the top 3 roads of the country for such riding. You shouldn't pass up the opportunity.

ninjabrewer
June 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Rode it Sunday with a few other ninjette riders. Planning to ride it again on 12 Jul, there is a thread about that ride. Join us.

nb

Ananda
July 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM

Are you talking Pizza Port in Solana beach or is there another one in OC/LA? I loooove Pizza Port. Although yes, we usually drive.

ASecretNinja
July 2nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Are you talking Pizza Port in Solana beach or is there another one in OC/LA? I loooove Pizza Port. Although yes, we usually drive.

Oh there is! In San Clemente on PCH/El Camino Real, a bit north of Del Mar St.

Ananda
July 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
i have a group of friends that ride in SD and we meet-up there quite a bit. let me know if you're ever down and i can arrange sumthin :)

ASecretNinja
July 2nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
When I picked up my bike and rode it from San Diego to Cypress, was the longest I had ever been on the freeway/interstate. When I first got on it, I was just trying to stay with traffic and not get ran over and ended up doing over 80. That was the fastest I had ever my bike. I finally found the smoothest lane in the carpool lane and settled down around 70/75. But I still got passed like I was road kill.

nb

Is that GPS speeds? Or the reading from your speedometer? I've found that mine is horribly inaccurate (will read 50 and I'm only going 43 GPS/radar verified). I was wondering what was going on at first cause I was going "55"--according to my speedometer--in a 45MPH cop-hangout zone and getting passed like crazy.. boo to our speedometers

ASecretNinja
July 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
i have a group of friends that ride in SD and we meet-up there quite a bit. let me know if you're ever down and i can arrange sumthin :)

I've been meaning to make a pilgrimage to the other Pizza Ports. I definitely shall let you know. And like-wise if you guys ever want to come up to San Clemente! :cheers:

ninjabrewer
July 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Is that GPS speeds? Or the reading from your speedometer? I've found that mine is horribly inaccurate (will read 50 and I'm only going 43 GPS/radar verified). I was wondering what was going on at first cause I was going "55"--according to my speedometer--in a 45MPH cop-hangout zone and getting passed like crazy.. boo to our speedometers

that is off the speedo, I don't have a GPS.......yet ;) and I have been lucky to not have a LEO give the line "do you know how fast you were going?"

nb

andrewexd
August 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM
anywhere to ride in socal besides ACH or PCH ? PCH is close to me but its kind of nothing... just the beach... ACH is too far as I want to go with my dad and he has to work everyday except sunday and he doesn't feel like going.

ninjabrewer
August 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I've been meaning to make a pilgrimage to the other Pizza Ports. I definitely shall let you know. And like-wise if you guys ever want to come up to San Clemente! :cheers:

I keep hearing about Pizza port, so I will assume that it is a good place to eat. I pass through San Clemente frequently, I go to the beach at San Onofree rather often. (Don't ask)

anywhere to ride in socal besides ACH or PCH ? PCH is close to me but its kind of nothing... just the beach... ACH is too far as I want to go with my dad and he has to work everyday except sunday and he doesn't feel like going.

Not sure, I have rode ACH once, had fun but it was rather chilly then, it was June. Most of my riding is commuting, my bike is the only transportation that I have right now, so I pretty much ride all the time. Last weekend, I just rode and ended up at the Queen Mary. I need to go take a tour sometime.

nb

diablo250
August 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM

PCH has awesome roads off of it....head up one of the canyon roads, topanga, for example, and take some side roads from there

ManyCavies
August 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM

This still might be too far for you, but:
http://www.lateralg.org/roads/orange/la.htm
Click on Orange Co and then click on Santiago Cyn. (2)

If you do go out that way check out:
http://www.cookscorners.com/about.html

andrewexd
August 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
thanks for the website, they have some good trails.