View Full Version : How to fix a OEM sticker

Hero Danny
November 8th, 2014, 06:19 PM
The only flaw on my entire bike is this stupid sticker...

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/herodanny/10420241_719319721472340_6966657341239720682_n_zpsbbce4c4a.jpg (http://s970.photobucket.com/user/herodanny/media/10420241_719319721472340_6966657341239720682_n_zpsbbce4c4a.jpg.html)

The guy tried putting it on (old one had a scratch from previous owner drop) and didn't do it correctly.... I know you can order a new one but they generally run for about $75... RIDICULOUS!

I think I can save this one.... thinking heat gun and just slowly work some water in and squeegie it away, kinda like tinting a window....

any thoughts on it?

LittleRedNinjette
November 8th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Who put it on?

Not sure on fixing it.

Brother Michigan
November 8th, 2014, 07:59 PM
If you're going to have a chance at fixing it, you've probably got the right idea.

jkv45
November 8th, 2014, 08:25 PM
You can use a very small sewing needle to pierce the bubbles, but the creases may not work out even with heat and a squeegee.

verboten1
November 8th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Yep, poke them, work the air out. The creases are there, but you may be able to minimize them. Use a squeegee with the felt covering it to minimize cutting/scratching the vinyl.

Hero Danny
November 8th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Who put it on?

Not sure on fixing it.

kawi dealer...... I know, right?

Hero Danny
November 8th, 2014, 08:45 PM
You can use a very small sewing needle to pierce the bubbles, but the creases may not work out even with heat and a squeegee.

Yep, poke them, work the air out. The creases are there, but you may be able to minimize them. Use a squeegee with the felt covering it to minimize cutting/scratching the vinyl.

I was thinking use heat and slowly peel the sticker off and then try to re-smooth it back down (not take off completely, just to where the creases are.

verboten1
November 8th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Be prepared to destroy it if you try that.

Vinyl wrap is made to be put on and removed, these decals are not meant to be removed.

jkv45
November 8th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I was thinking use heat and slowly peel the sticker off and then try to re-smooth it back down (not take off completely, just to where the creases are.
You could try it, but there may be sections where the adhesive stays with the vinyl and sections where it stays on the part. If that happens you will get bumps where it overlaps and low spots where it doesn't.

Or it may stretch.

MrAtom
November 8th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Why do you care about a sticker on your bike? It's a $4000, 300cc bike. It's nothing special. I don't get it.

Roark
November 8th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Why do you care about a sticker on your bike? It's a $4000, 300cc bike. It's nothing special. I don't get it.

Why are you on ninjette, posting about your 30k beater bike? It's nothing special. I don't get it.

:doh:

MrAtom
November 8th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Why are you on ninjette, posting about your 30k beater bike? It's nothing special. I don't get it.

:doh:

I just want it to run is all. That's different than worrying about a sticker.

Roark
November 8th, 2014, 10:52 PM
I just want it to run is all. That's different than worrying about a sticker.

Simple necessary effectiveness is important to you. A clean, cared for bike is what's important to Hero Danny.

"Nothing nice to say? Don't say anything at all.." I'm sure you've heard this, and being on the Internet, I'm not exactly preaching in the right setting, but come on..

MrAtom
November 8th, 2014, 11:01 PM
I didn't really mean to come off as rude when I posted that. Sorry if I did. I was just saying that it's a bit much to care about one sticker. I mean, I kind of get it I guess. People want their stuff too look nice. I personally like a little wabi-sabi in my life, but to each their own.

Ninjinsky
November 9th, 2014, 04:46 AM
Looked up wabi-sabi, interesting.
Though it contrasts with the engineering aesthetic.
(and VJMC concours competitions where they can argue for hours about the thickness of washer on a mudguard stay :rolleyes:)
Anyway you might like my "shabby chic" ninjette with its key area paint wear and mis-matched tank color

LittleRedNinjette
November 9th, 2014, 08:53 AM
kawi dealer...... I know, right?

I would take it back. Make them fix their mistake.

Hero Danny
November 9th, 2014, 09:42 AM
I would take it back. Make them fix their mistake.

Because they messed up the sticker they took an extra $100 off, I negotiated them down to 4k and then I pointed out the sticker and got the bike for 3.9 So I kinda can't do that :/

Hero Danny
November 9th, 2014, 09:43 AM

So the value of the bike determines how much I should care about it?

Ninjinsky
November 9th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Consider Botox injections.

snot
November 9th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Why not just remove the sticker? If it was me... I would remove the sticker and order a new one in a year when the price drops a little.

JohnnyBravo
November 9th, 2014, 11:39 AM
:idunno:

Did that guy really dis the 300? *(-_-)*
Your lack of love for stickers saddens me sir.

LittleRedNinjette
November 9th, 2014, 12:30 PM
:whathesaid:

snot
November 9th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Now I see the issue.. this is on the side faring, spend the $75 and fix it. You wait for cyber Monday to see if you can get a discount.

Hero Danny
November 9th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Now I see the issue.. this is on the side faring, spend the $75 and fix it. You wait for cyber Monday to see if you can get a discount.

I'm probably going to just going to leave it and when the time comes I'm going to remove all the stickers and paint the fairings solid green or orange. Haven't decided yet.. But this is in another 2-3 years.

snot
November 10th, 2014, 04:17 AM
I'm probably going to just going to leave it and when the time comes I'm going to remove all the stickers and paint the fairings solid green or orange. Haven't decided yet.. But this is in another 2-3 years.

Green would be cool. Ever considered a wrap instead of paint?

LittleRedNinjette
November 10th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Plasti dip! :D

Hero Danny
November 10th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Plasti dip! :D

You read my mind ;)

Hero Danny
November 10th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Green would be cool. Ever considered a wrap instead if paint?

I did consider carbon fiber wrap, but that's only if I dump my bike and have cracks and gashes. I really don't want a black bike since it will hurt my visibility. I would probably just remove all the fairings and plasti dip them one by one.

Here's a video of the way Ricochet plasti dip'd his and he did it on the bike so it didn't turn out that great, I'd do mine off the bike so it would be more "professional" (lol) I would use cans though like he did and just get the bigger tip, plasti dip is an amazing product and is hard to mess up especially if you do a bunch of coats and don't have any long areas (like a car hood) that would maybe show uneveness.

tUtF4jZzKyk

Yellow kinda looks good too imo ;)

BlownWideOpen
November 10th, 2014, 09:22 AM
^ Wow, talk about half-assing it. ^

jkv45
November 10th, 2014, 09:52 AM
If you are concerned about "a good job" I wouldn't bother with PlastiDip. It's pretty temporary and easily damaged.

Wrap is a better choice, but the complex shapes on the fairing would be a definite challenge.

LittleRedNinjette
November 10th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Plasti dip is good for trying different things. You dont like it, rip it off and try something else. i did that with my windshield.

Hero Danny
November 10th, 2014, 11:39 AM
If you are concerned about "a good job" I wouldn't bother with PlastiDip. It's pretty temporary and easily damaged.

Wrap is a better choice, but the complex shapes on the fairing would be a definite challenge.

I disagree. My friend dipped his van 8 months ago and it still looks good. There are a couple spots near the bottom where it's peeling ever so slightly, and that's because he only used about 3 coats, when he should of had closer to 6.

You can get a nice looking paint job, Ricochet half-assed his and it still looks nice from 5 feet away.

Check out dipyourcar.com they have a forum where people have gone nearly 2 years and still have a good looking ride, and this is their DD mine you. A motorcycle that is stored most of the time and only sees maybe 10k miles a year will definitely hold out...

And you cannot argue the price. You can dip your whole bike for less than $100, don't like it? Easily removeable with no hassle...

I dipped my celica's hatch handle a year ago... still looks good. Here's a photo!

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/herodanny/IMAG1353_zps68e3c6c4.jpg (http://s970.photobucket.com/user/herodanny/media/IMAG1353_zps68e3c6c4.jpg.html)

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/herodanny/IMAG1354_zpsc7a4ff1f.jpg (http://s970.photobucket.com/user/herodanny/media/IMAG1354_zpsc7a4ff1f.jpg.html)

The little cuts in the word "celica" were my fault... Lesson learned.. I tried cutting the words out AFTER the dip dried... big mistake, If I had removed the tape before it would of been fine :/ Oh well, it hasn't peeled at all.

cadd
November 10th, 2014, 11:50 AM
$75 for a sticker just blows my mind!!! It cost them maybe $3 to make. How on earth can anyone charge $75 bux for one?! :mad:

If I were you, I'll just leave it. Save that $75 bux for gas or insurance or an aftermarket part.

You can train yourself not to look at it :)

Hero Danny
November 10th, 2014, 12:39 PM
$75 for a sticker just blows my mind!!! It cost them maybe $3 to make. How on earth can anyone charge $75 bux for one?! :mad:

If I were you, I'll just leave it. Save that $75 bux for gas or insurance or an aftermarket part.

You can train yourself not to look at it :)

Oh I completely agree with you 100% I wouldn't waste $75 on a damn sticker especially when I run the risk of messing it up myself! I was going to try and fix it, but maybe I could get a black "ninja" sticker (words saying ninja, not actual ninja) and place it over it so it's harder to see. :confused20:

LittleRedNinjette
November 10th, 2014, 12:58 PM
75 is a bit high but not extremely outrageous for a good quality vinyl decal of that size.

put some "sponsor" type decals over it like the ones on my bike like on a race bike. :)

jkv45
November 10th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I disagree. My friend dipped his van 8 months ago and it still looks good. There are a couple spots near the bottom where it's peeling ever so slightly, and that's because he only used about 3 coats, when he should of had closer to 6.
(SNIP)
It depends on what your expectations of durability are I guess. You can't change a tire on a wheel that is PlastiDipped without messing it up, but if you don't touch it much I guess it's OK. I've seen people PlastiDip their cycle tank, and anywhere they happen to touch it with their pants while riding it peels up.

I work in powder coating, so I expect a coating to stand up to abuse without failing - multiple tire changes, being dropped on the floor, crashed, whatever - it might show scuffs or marks, but it needs to hang on and look good.

Hero Danny
November 10th, 2014, 02:56 PM
It depends on what your expectations of durability are I guess. You can't change a tire on a wheel that is PlastiDipped without messing it up, but if you don't touch it much I guess it's OK. I've seen people PlastiDip their cycle tank, and anywhere they happen to touch it with their pants while riding it peels up.

I work in powder coating, so I expect a coating to stand up to abuse without failing - multiple tire changes, being dropped on the floor, crashed, whatever - it might show scuffs or marks, but it needs to hang on and look good.

Oh, by no means am I saying plasti dip can even hold a candle to a quality powder paint job! But with the price and ease of use you really cannot beat it. I agree, once you put a tire iron to a dipped rim it starts to peel. You can repair rips with plasti dip, I believe. The tank is an interesting point, I admit. Luckily with our bikes we're not laying down on our tanks very often.

verboten1
November 11th, 2014, 06:10 AM
It's holding up ok, but the tank is scuffed from my jacket/pants

Hero Danny
November 15th, 2014, 01:17 PM
It's holding up ok, but the tank is scuffed from my jacket/pants

Nice, is that dipped or powdered?

verboten1
November 17th, 2014, 07:24 AM
It's Plasti-Dip- white base with pearlizer.

I may be stripping it and going with a different product my buddy is now using.