View Full Version : ATTN Houstonites: Minibike Race May 30-31

Broom
May 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
we have a mini bike race in katy this weekend (may 30-31). saturday afternoon is a 4 hour endurance race, and sunday will be 15-20 8 lap sprint races that start at about noon.

if you're looking for something to do, come out and watch. sunday is the better day for spectating, but i'll only be there on saturday for the endurance race. look for the beard, tattoos, and the leathers with "BROOM" on the back. i'll be riding a kx60.

check out http://tmgps.8k.com/ for more info

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/438035568_932a392e8e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbroom/sets/72157594378204198/) http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/438032441_0f5e431225.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbroom/sets/72157594378204198/)

Apex
May 28th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Oh, you all are racing at the local kart track? Sweet. I don't know if I'll be able to attend, but I will sure try!

The small bike races sure do interest me. :D

kkim
May 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM
have fun, Jon.

we used to have a kx60 for one of the kids. That bike was rejetted within an inch of it's life and it would give the two stroke 80's a run for their money on the mx track. :ride: those things are quick!

Broom
May 28th, 2009, 12:59 PM
yeah they are. i still can't believe the 60's and 65's are kids bikes. they're pretty fast. and with our higher center of gravity, its tough to keep the front end on the ground. it feels like its trying to put you on your ass on every shift.

ours is actually a kx65 with disc brakes retro-fitted with a kx60 motor so that we can race down a class. its not the same bike pictured above.

kkim
May 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
and with our higher center of gravity, its tough to keep the front end on the ground. it feels like its trying to put you on your ass on every shift.

I'm sure the oversized monkey on the bike putting so much rearward bias on it has a lot to do with it. :lol:

but, yeah, even with the kid riding it being the proper size and all, that bike had more than enough power to yank the front wheel up without any problem.

can you shorten the suspension to lower the CG or is that not legal?

Apex
May 28th, 2009, 01:14 PM
So if I were, to say, use the 50cc setup, what mods would NEED to be done to the bike? You know, like about a round about cost?

Alex
May 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM
/moved to local events

Broom
May 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM
So if I were, to say, use the 50cc setup, what mods would NEED to be done to the bike? You know, like about a round about cost?

i'm not real familiar with the 4 stroke crf50s. they take a lot of work to be competitive in our races because they'd be up against crf100's, but with suspension, wheels, and a big bore kit they can haul.

if you were to get a klx110 you can put wheels on it and a little bit of suspension work and race it. we're trying to get a "spec class" together with those bikes for some fun, cheap racing.

as a general rule, to convert a mini dirtbike to road racer you need wheels and suspension... that runs you around 1-2 grand. on the other hand, you can buy a race ready nsr50 (2 stroke) for 1-2 grand and you're good to go. the red "sport bike" in the pict above is an nsr.

Apex
May 28th, 2009, 01:30 PM
i'm not real familiar with the 4 stroke crf50s. they take a lot of work to be competitive in our races because they'd be up against crf100's, but with suspension, wheels, and a big bore kit they can haul.

if you were to get a klx110 you can put wheels on it and a little bit of suspension work and race it. we're trying to get a "spec class" together with those bikes for some fun, cheap racing.

as a general rule, to convert a mini dirtbike to road racer you need wheels and suspension... that runs you around 1-2 grand. on the other hand, you can buy a race ready nsr50 (2 stroke) for 1-2 grand and you're good to go. the red "sport bike" in the pict above is an nsr.
cheap is the best way to go for me! I like the dirtbike route due to less plastic. :)

May have to look into the KLX in the furture (maybe). :D

kkim
May 28th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Mark,

just glancing over the classes offered, the

Motard - same as Unlimited (Up to 85cc 2-stroke, up to 150cc 4-stroke - The CRF150R may be removed from class) in dirt bikes frames without knobbies

seems to be the most cost effective and biggest bang for the buck.

There must be a ton of 80-85cc minibikes from years past that should be very cheap to pick up. Add a set of street tires and you're set. :)

Broom
May 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
the problem with the unlimited rules is that they only fit into a couple of sprint classes. no endurance.

follow the F5, F6 or F7 rules to get the most racing opportunities.

note that the KLX class i mentioned doesn't officially exist yet. it's being combined with the F7 or supersport races for this season and if there is enough participation then they'll get their own class next season.

the best way to figure it all out and see how you might want to get involved is to come out to watch the races and ask a lot of questions. everyone is real friendly.

kkim
May 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Okay. :D

Looks like a lot of fun... wish they had something like that around here. :(

Apex
May 31st, 2009, 07:03 AM
I meant to attend, but my wife came up with last minute plans with her family which made me ditch the race. :(

Hopefully I will make it out the next time they hold a race. :D

Broom
June 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
here's a little bit of video from my gopro camera mounted on my teamates helmet. it doesn't do justice to how hard we're pushing these little bikes...

fh9jdfZRMV4

Alex
June 2nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
So :cool:. :thumbup: