View Full Version : Torque spec cheat sheet?

N_hutter
November 28th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I am in the middle of preping my bike for the upcoming race season and just realized I don't have the common torque specs handy:doh: (brake caliper bolts, oil drain plug, axle nuts, etc). In effort of not recreating the 17" wheel does anyone have a cheat sheet that they would be willing to share?

jkv45
November 28th, 2014, 07:39 AM
For you, prepping a race bike, it would be nice to have a Service Manual handy. It would give you all of the torque info you need, and a lot more - if the need arrises.

Other than that, if you look up "metric fastener torque specs" you can pull up a chart with the basic numbers, but it will also depend on not just the size of the fastener but also the grade - which isn't always easy to determine depending on the type used.

adouglas
November 28th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Sorry, don't have one handy for the Ninjette but I've done just such a thing for my GSXR. I have a notebook/diary that I use to record the stuff you actually do need to know, like torque specs, wrench sizes, etc. It's a lot handier than having to dig through the service manual every time.

I group it by task... for example, everything having to do with bodywork is together. That includes fastener inventory/locations. Track prepping my bike requires the removal of a couple o' bunch of body parts and a blizzard of fasteners. I've found that it's a lot easier if I break that down by section, and use an inventory sheet for each section.

The same approach applies throughout. When I flip to the page on wheels/tires, I have tire sizes, pressures, torque for every fastener associated with removing/reinstalling the wheels, chain slack, etc. I just think through every single thing I need to do when messing with that particular part and write down the stuff I'll need to know.

Also little "nice to know" things, like the fact that my front wheel has a spacer on only one side, not both. I wasted half an hour and a considerable amount of adrenaline on my first track day figuring that one out. I thought I'd lost a critical part. The answer was buried in the manual, in a cross-section view of the wheel.

Motofool
November 28th, 2014, 09:41 AM
I am in the middle of preping my bike for the upcoming race season and just realized I don't have the common torque specs handy:doh: (brake caliper bolts, oil drain plug, axle nuts, etc). In effort of not recreating the 17" wheel does anyone have a cheat sheet that they would be willing to share?

Being the same bike basically, this should be pretty close:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/J_Torque_values

N_hutter
December 3rd, 2014, 07:42 AM
Motofool, that's exactly what I was looking for... Thanks!

Motofool
December 3rd, 2014, 06:59 PM
Motofool, that's exactly what I was looking for... Thanks!

You are welcome, Nick :)