View Full Version : Breaking ranks (new bike) (2008 FZ6)

mcteague
May 30th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Well, I broke down and bought a new bike today. I got a good deal on an '08 Yamaha FZ6. I love the 250R but felt too cramped and wanted a bit more power, EFI, better suspension, etc. I sat on lots of bikes and this felt the best but you never know until you ride it. This was the last '08 I could find. It only comes in black and dark blue. I'm used to my lime green Ninja so this will take some getting used to.

So far I have just 50 miles on it but my lower back felt fine and the ride is amazing. Shocks are firm but not harsh, the wider tires really feel planted and the power (still during break-in) is a kick. Look for my 250R to show up in the classified once I clean it up and take some new photos.

Tim McTeague

DerTeufel
May 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Congrats on the new bike.

Strider
May 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Congrats on the new ride :) ... are you sure you want to sell your 250 though? You may miss it once it's gone ...

Elfling
May 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Grats!! New shinies are always good :)

Kwattro
May 30th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Those are nice bikes. I tried an FZ1 and it just didn't fit me, which I know is strange. Basically felt like I was on top of the bike and not part of it. They sure get outstanding reviews though. Enjoy your new machine and be safe.

Zero260
May 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Grats. I love Yamaha bikes too. I would like to get my hands on an 08 R6 Raven, lol my wife would kill me. Be safe, enjoy.

CC Cowboy
May 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Nice ride. I've had a few Yamahas and they are good bikes.

backinthesaddleagain
May 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM
best of luck - really nice bike. my local dealer has left over fz1 for $7,700, what a deal. but like someone else said i just don't feel "right" on it, not a good fit for me.

mcteague
May 31st, 2009, 04:00 AM
Congrats on the new ride :) ... are you sure you want to sell your 250 though? You may miss it once it's gone ...

I'm sure I will miss it but there is no room in the shed. Plus, unless gas goes back to $4\gallon I know I'll be on the FZ6. For all the things I love about the 250R my 6'1" frame, and old back, just don't get along with it. I'm thinking of selling it for $3200 with rear cowl and ZG DB. $100 more if the Corbin seat is included. Sound fair?

Tim

Snake
May 31st, 2009, 04:26 AM
Congatulations on the new bike.

tinng321
May 31st, 2009, 05:05 AM
congrat.

IlBLisSlI
May 31st, 2009, 06:17 AM
looks great i'm sure you're going to be very happy (and make someone else who buys your 250 very happy)

ride safe :)

Strider
May 31st, 2009, 11:23 AM
I'm sure I will miss it but there is no room in the shed. Plus, unless gas goes back to $4\gallon I know I'll be on the FZ6. For all the things I love about the 250R my 6'1" frame, and old back, just don't get along with it. I'm thinking of selling it for $3200 with rear cowl and ZG DB. $100 more if the Corbin seat is included. Sound fair?

Tim

Sounds like a fair deal to me.
I wish I had the money and a way to get the bike here! My wife is looking for one ... <sigh> if only I had more production work, I'd be on this in an instant...

lockie
May 31st, 2009, 01:14 PM
I had an FZ6 out for a spin this past week at a dealer demo. Nice bike. Bigger yes, but just as smooth as my 250. It didn't sound quite as nice but that's just my biased opinion of my bike. The FZ6 is a great upgrade. Good Luck

mcteague
May 31st, 2009, 03:19 PM
I had an FZ6 out for a spin this past week at a dealer demo. Nice bike. Bigger yes, but just as smooth as my 250. It didn't sound quite as nice but that's just my biased opinion of my bike. The FZ6 is a great upgrade. Good Luck

As I've mentioned, fit was the main motivation for moving on. I'm actually suprised the I4 engine on the FZ6 has as much vibration as it does. I thought twins were the buzzy ones. I'm loving the new Yamaha. No back pain, MUCH better suspension, brakes and power.

I was washing the 250R today and started to miss it already. It is one beautiful bike.

Tim

BlueTyke
June 1st, 2009, 08:04 AM
Still only using the bike as a commuter or you actually going to take this one out and play? :D

TrueFaith
June 1st, 2009, 08:25 AM
Good choice, Tim. Awesome all-around bike. I loved my Yamahas and came very close to buying an '08 FZ6 myself before I settled on the Ninja. I still think there's another Yamaha in my future someday. They make a great product. Enjoy!

mcteague
June 1st, 2009, 08:41 AM
Still only using the bike as a commuter or you actually going to take this one out and play? :D

Mostly fun rides but I plan to take it to work on nice days. Having more power will be nice when trying to merge and get out of the way when someone on a cell phone moves into my lane. With the Ninja I had to anticipate when I really needed to move. Not always something you have time for in traffic. I have a feeling I'm REALLY going to miss the 250 if gas hits $4\gal again.

Tim

Kolya1981
June 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM
What's the gas mileage on the FZ6 though? It can't be that much lower then the 250 once its broken in. Riding hard on the ninja I get about 55mpg. Riding hard on my street triple r I still get low 50's.
Posted via Mobile Device

mcteague
June 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
What's the gas mileage on the FZ6 though? It can't be that much lower then the 250 once its broken in. Riding hard on the ninja I get about 55mpg. Riding hard on my street triple r I still get low 50's.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yamaha's website lists 40mpg!!! Reviews seem to be around the 50mpg range. We shall see.

Tim

beowuff
June 1st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Please keep us in the loop on mileage. My wife wants to up grade to an FZ6R, so any info you can give us is greatly appreciated!

mcteague
June 1st, 2009, 03:42 PM
Please keep us in the loop on mileage. My wife wants to up grade to an FZ6R, so any info you can give us is greatly appreciated!

I checked out the FZ6R and it felt lower\smaller and more like the 250R. The FZ6 is much taller. The clutch on the FZ6 has a very narrow friction zone, something the R version is supposed to have fixed. The R has less power and a cheaper steel frame but most of the reviews have been very positive.

I'll pop back in on this thread when I check mileage on my first refill.
Tim

Kolya1981
June 1st, 2009, 08:22 PM
I checked out the FZ6R and it felt lower\smaller and more like the 250R. The FZ6 is much taller. The clutch on the FZ6 has a very narrow friction zone, something the R version is supposed to have fixed. The R has less power and a cheaper steel frame but most of the reviews have been very positive.

I'll pop back in on this thread when I check mileage on my first refill.
Tim

The first refill is going to be lower then what you will eventually get. Your mileage should creep up slowly as your bike is broken in.

Alex
July 17th, 2009, 05:05 PM
/moved to ex-ninjetters lair