View Full Version : Covers for the 250

IlBLisSlI
June 1st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hey guys, did a little search here for threads about this but only came up with 1 (in the new gen section) http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21024&highlight=cover

Anywho, do any of you guys have covers for your pregen 250s? I live in central FL and use my bike as a daily driver. I'm looking to cover it up while it roasts in the parking lot so that i won't get 3rd degree burns on my rump when i got to leave work. It would also be nice to keep some of rain off it from afternoon showers as well as all the pollen and bird crap.

So here are my questions...
What cover do you use?
Is it a full or half cover?
Does it come with a bag you can roll it up and store in?
If it has a bag how big is it once the cover is in it?
Will this be something i could stick in my tank bag with no problems or will i need to strap it to the bike with bungee chords/net or something?
How is the quality?
Is it worth the hassle?
Do you have any problems with wind catching it and blowing it off the bike?
Does you seat still get roasting hot?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide :)

Strider
June 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM
Mine is my daily commuter as well, so here's my take ...

What cover do you use?
I bought mine at Wal-Mart for about $25. It's this one : http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10913503

Is it a full or half cover?
Full , medium size. They were out of any others except the XL

Does it come with a bag you can roll it up and store in?
Mine came with a small bag, but I tossed it out since I park in the shop when I get to work :)

If it has a bag how big is it once the cover is in it?
It rolled up to be 12" long , and about 6" thick

Will this be something i could stick in my tank bag with no problems or will i need to strap it to the bike with bungee chords/net or something?
I would say you would need to use a bungee to strap it to the back, easier that way IMO

How is the quality?
Cheap actually, but it does keep the rain off. I tore mine at the seam after only having it 2 weeks, but my wife sewed it back together :)

Is it worth the hassle?
YES, especially when it comes to rain!

Do you have any problems with wind catching it and blowing it off the bike?
I had alot of trouble with the wind, so I replaced the little hooks that held it on with small clamps from my 2 pair of Joe Rocket gloves. Works like a charm now.

Does you seat still get roasting hot?
No, not really, but it does get warm in the high summer. Have you tried laying a thick towel over the seat? (odd idea, but it works)

addy126
June 1st, 2009, 06:11 PM
Drew: I use the Nelson Riggs UV2000 1/2 Cover. It comes with a nice small hip bag to pack it into. Will stow away in a tank or tail bag. Nice and light for use away from home. I use a full cover (Covermax Deluxe) for around the home. But I love the 1/2 cover more as it makes coverup so much easier. Reflects heat so the seat never gets hot and it waterproof. There are elastic ties 2 on both sides at the bottom and one in the front for under the "nose fairing". Combine that with stretchy elastics at rear and front and you have one sturdy 1/2 cover not affected by wind gusts. I get tired of heaving that full cover on and usually resort to the 1/2 cover even at home when the weather is nice out. :thumbup: Oh and the Medium 1/2 cover fits the 2008/09 N-250 perfectly. No material threatens to lay onto the muffler can so you can put it on as soon as you get off the bike. No cool down required. Thats a bonus too.

IlBLisSlI
June 1st, 2009, 06:29 PM
: Oh and the Medium 1/2 cover fits the 2008/09 N-250 perfectly. No material threatens to lay onto the muffler can so you can put it on as soon as you get off the bike. No cool down required. Thats a bonus too.

hmm that's a good point i never thought about that :cool:

addy126
June 1st, 2009, 06:39 PM
hmm that's a good point i never thought about that :cool:

The medium 1/2 cover Nelson Rigg would fit the 2006 N-250 as well. The muffler cans are lower and horizontal. I can assure you the material wouldnt even touch them when you affix the elastic ties properly. Its short enough to accomodate that much needed space.

IlBLisSlI
June 2nd, 2009, 05:50 AM
thanks for the replys. i think i'm going to go ahead and get that nelson rigg uv 1/2 cover today :)

addy126
June 2nd, 2009, 06:16 AM
When u get it the material is really light compared to full covers. Makes it all the easier to stow and use around town. It does do the job thats required for intermittent cover protection.

IlBLisSlI
June 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM
placed my order for the cover and some new pirelli sport demons today.
i'll update this thread with pictures of fitment on the 06 as soon as it comes in

addy126
June 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
placed my order for the cover and some new pirelli sport demons today.
i'll update this thread with pictures of fitment on the 06 as soon as it comes in

The sport dems made a huge difference on my previous 07 N-250. Tomorrow <Wed> my new sport dems for the 2009 N-250 will be on my doorstep. I can't wait to get them installed asap. The IRC's have been serious slipping in the turns and I have to slow it down even more. It's like driving on small patches of ice. The sport dems will fix that... I'm so excited and the world will be right again! :D