View Full Version : Venom triple tree front stand not compatible with the 300?

cadd
December 29th, 2014, 12:35 PM
This wkend, I put together the Venom front triple tree stand (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CX7L1LA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_pSAOub0Y31P00) and lifted the front wheel off the ground.

Not good!!! Not enough clearance. The stand pushes up against the bottom of the headlight area!

I would say 75% of the weight is supported by the triple tree and 25% by the black plastic piece under the headlight assembly.

Anyone have the Venom stand? Can anyone verify?

ninjamunky85
December 29th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I have the venom triple tree stand and have used it with my 300 with no problems. It's kind of a tight fit but it will lift the bike without pushing on the bodywork under the headlight... Not sure why you're having an issue with yours.

cadd
December 29th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Which pin are you using? I currently have the 17mm pin.

It's definitely pushing up on the plastics under the headlights....so much so that once the bike is lifted, the headlights are both misaligned and leaves a 1/4" gap with the fairing (front cowl).

I would post a picture, but I don't want to lift it up again. In fear of cracking that black plastic piece =(

If I can't figure it out, I'll try to use a smaller pin and out a (ratchet) sockets over the pin to see if I can get a tiny more clearance.

choneofakind
December 29th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Try some washers over the pin to lift the triple up and clear the plastics. I've seen that done with some models of phone and stands.

ninjamunky85
December 29th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Which pin are you using? I currently have the 17mm pin.

I don't remember which pin I used, it was the biggest one that fit.

CZroe
December 30th, 2014, 06:46 PM
If you have to do work on the triple/forks, take the plastics off first.

cadd
December 30th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I got it to store the bike for the winter. I wanted the front wheels off the ground. I also want to change tires as well when it gets a bit warmer in the garage.

Both of these....plastics stay on :(

cadd
January 4th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Try some washers over the pin to lift the triple up and clear the plastics. I've seen that done with some models of phone and stands.

I grabbed a few washers (5/8") was a perfect fit for the 17 and 18mm pins. But the washer didn't really help much for some reason. I tried stacking up 2 or 3 washers. Still the same clearance. But thanks for the idea.

Update:

I was messing around with the stand again today while I did an oil change. Somehow I was able to get the 18mm pin in the triple tree. It was a tight fit, but it wasn't forced.

I'm a lot happier with the clearance. It still touches the plastics, but just barely. I would say now, 99% of the weight is supported by the triple tree and 1% (or even less) is supported by the plastics.

Here are a few pics I snapped.

Also note: My left headlight is out of alignment from the last time I lifted it without proper clearance. A few MM gap. But I'm too lazy to take the plastics apart and try to re-align everything. I'll do it next time when I actually need to have the fairings off.

choneofakind
January 5th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Hmm, sorry the washers didn't work out for you. I was hoping that would help.