View Full Version : Safe Helmet removal in a crash

Sailariel
June 3rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Maybe Alex or Broom can answer this. The new helmets--particularly the full face kind, are difficult, to say the least, to remove. In a crash, my biggest fear would be for some well meaning bystander to try to remove my helmet following a crash. One`s neck could be easily broken if this procedure was performed by an inexperienced well meaning individual. Is there some sort of device that could be fitted to a helmet that would not cause further injury? I was told that in professional racing there is some sort of device one can inflate with a bulb similar to the one used in a blood pressure cuff that can be inflated thereby removing the helmet without causing injury. Is this device available to the average road rider? I would surely like some information on this device.

blantow
June 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
im a paramedic in IL. as a practice we will only remove full face helmets when we must for airway management for that exact reason. the best way to ensure spinal stabilization is to keep the spine in alignment in the exact position injured. obviously what bystanders do before we get there is out of our control but from my experience they are usually so freaked they call 911 and freak out, they usually dont attempt to even touch the patient.

Snake
June 3rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
In my opinion you need to concentrate on the best way to avoid an accident by riding defensively.

Sound Wave
June 3rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
man, even if there were a device, i think it would be a horrible idea to have someone with no medical background to try and remove the helmet in the event of an accident. the victim shouldn't even be moved unless he is in immediate danger by being where he is, ie vehicle on fire.

best to leave some stuff to the professionals.

CANTFUNCTION
June 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
:whathesaid:

Alex
June 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Some of the newer helmets have more easily removable cheekpads that pull directly out from the bottom to aid helmet removal, but I don't know of a device that will help push the helmet off with an air bladder as you're describing. The hope is that whoever finds you in that state doesn't do anything silly, and I think the likelihood is they won't; but I can see how people would occasionally do silly things we wouldn't expect if they came upon an unconscious rider post-accident.

Banzai
June 4th, 2009, 04:24 AM
We place stickers on military flights helmets that say "In the event of mishap, DO NOT REMOVE MY HELMET unless necessary to aid in rescue breathing" It's a bright yellow sticker that goes on the sides and back.

adouglas
June 4th, 2009, 04:57 AM
There are two that I know of. One is used by, IIRC, motocross racers and is possibly even mandated. It's an air bladder. I ran across this somewhere on the web a week or so ago and only glanced at it, so I may have the details wrong.

When this thing is being used, I believe that the track workers are issued little squeeze-bulb pumps (like you find on a blood pressure cuff). If the helmet needs to come off, they plug the pump into an exposed tube and pump up the bladder. This pushes the helmet up off the rider's head without any impact on the neck.

The other one, which I saw on a Youtube video, is simpler and was developed by Arai, again for racers. Basically it's a fabric skull cap with loops on the sides that can be grabbed from outside the helmet (it looks a bit like a plastic shopping bag). The rider puts this liner on before putting on the helmet. To remove the helmet, the responder grabs the loops and pulls outward, which forces the helmet up off the head, again with no impact on the neck.

The problem with both of these is that they only work if the person removing the helmet knows they're there, and knows how to operate them.

backinthesaddleagain
June 4th, 2009, 06:10 AM
We place stickers on military flights helmets that say "In the event of mishap, DO NOT REMOVE MY HELMET unless necessary to aid in rescue breathing" It's a bright yellow sticker that goes on the sides and back.

Those stickers are a great idea. And yes there is an air pad that goes on the top of the helmet and is inflated with a squeeze bulb to push the helmet off without pulling on the neck.

MINNEAPOLIS – Shock Doctor, Inc.’s Eject Helmet Removal System, which provides emergency neck and spine protection after a motosport crash, is now endorsed by MX Sports for improving safety in amateur racing. The Eject System will be used at all regional qualifying and championship events for the AMA Air Nautiques Amateur National Motocross Championships, held at the legendary Loretta Lynn Ranch.

“MX Sports is excited to welcome Shock Doctor and the Eject System to the Loretta Lynn family,” said Tim Cotter, director of MX Sports. “This forward-thinking company will bring new ideas and innovations to our sport that will not only increase the enjoyment of the sport, but above all, the safety of our riders.”

The Eject System uses a tiny plastic bladder and inflation device, and is easily installed in any helmet. When the bladder is inflated and expands inside the helmet, it gradually pushes the helmet off of the racer’s head. This method is safer than the traditional manner of pulling the helmet off, which can increase the possibility of further injury by putting substantial strain on the neck and spine, even when the head and neck are stabilized. The Eject System is currently used by drivers and riders in major racing segments, and is required in the professional Indy Racing League, AMA Pro Motocross and Supercross.

BlueTyke
June 4th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I have actually taken a First aid course that covered this... Now if I actually would be willing to perform this on another person has yet to be tried. I hope I never have to test it to be honest. Push come to shove though I would, again though only if they couldn't breath.

Perhaps though what should be invited is a breathing mask that can fit between the chin and the chin guard with a hose to come out of the mask, either by eye or by the neck, so that the rescuer can get breath into the person, without removing the helmet...

Er well I typed all that before remembering you gotta tilt the head back to straighten the air path, kind of hard to do with a helmet... Hummmm...

KJohnson21
June 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Andrew mentioned the Arai helmet removal sling, and my wife showed it to me the other day also. I searched on YouTube and found these and a couple of related videos.

Arai Removal Assist Hood manual for wearers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf_Rce5hlXs)

Arai Removal Assist Hood manual for rescuers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pfEWsUAKLk)

how not to, then how to remove a biker's helmet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjn5u4P-CQ)

Eject Helmet Removal System at the Indy 500 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvJzRPfrnnI)

The Arai system sounds simple and low cost, and they've made the patent openly available for any manufacturer. Hopefully we'll see some of these come onto the market soon. My wife hasn't found any available yet.

backinthesaddleagain
June 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks - will keep an eye out for it.

Sailariel
June 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have found two orange warning stickers that say Do Not Remove Helmet Until I am examined by a doctor. Available free through Onabike.com.

adouglas
June 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have found two orange warning stickers that say Do Not Remove Helmet Until I am examined by a doctor. Available free through Onabike.com.

Server not found, Google no help.

Are you sure of the URL?

Sailariel
June 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Server not found, Google no help.

Are you sure of the URL?

The sticker reads: ON-A-BIKE.com Telephone 800-ON-A BIKE, California, 800-235-2424. Canada 800-521-2425. It is the Law Firm of Richard M Lester. These toll free numbers are 24/7. I got them at a motorcycle repair shop in Belmont Maine, and they were free.

adouglas
June 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM
The sticker reads: ON-A-BIKE.com Telephone 800-ON-A BIKE, California, 800-235-2424. Canada 800-521-2425. It is the Law Firm of Richard M Lester. These toll free numbers are 24/7. I got them at a motorcycle repair shop in Belmont Maine, and they were free.

Okay, ON-A-BIKE.COM (with hyphens) was no help either. I see no stickers at all.

Oh, well.