View Full Version : Trade in F4i for Ninja 300?

Finesse
January 11th, 2015, 02:32 PM
My first post in the 300 section... :p

I'm picking up a 2002 honda cbr600 f4i tomorrow with 22k miles and clean title. It's a flipper, getting it for $500 and seeing what kind of cool bike (or I guess, cash) I can get out of it in March or April.

Selling it on Craigslist, I could probably get around $3300...I just don't want another 600.

What kind of deal do you think I could get on a Ninja 300 from a dealership if I traded the F4i in? How much cash would I end up having to throw in on top? Is it better to just try and straight trade with someone who has 'outgrown' their 300 and wants a 600? Are there any 2013 models left at dealerships or are they all gone by Spring 2015?

Have YOU traded in a bike for a Ninja 300?

What do you think I should do?

Hero Danny
January 11th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Counting chickens before they hatch :)

Just kidding, I do it all the time.

Let's see here... KBB trade in value is only $1,900. unfortunately... I would suggest just trying to flip it on craigslist, you'll get closer to the 3k mark if it's clean and then just put forth another $700-1000 for a used 300.

I love the 300, it's seriously an awesome bike, but if I were in your shoes I would probably hold off until the R3 comes out, that seems like a really awesome bike.

choneofakind
January 11th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Question: if you work at the dealership, will you still get raped on trade in value?

Also, wouldn't you be able to do the work, sell privately, and pocket the cash? :) I'd probably either go this route or the straight trade route. I don't think I'd even bother trading it in.

Finesse
January 11th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Question: if you work at the dealership, will you still get raped on trade in value?

Also, wouldn't you be able to do the work, sell privately, and pocket the cash? :)

I don't work at a dealership!!!!!!!!!! :( unfortunately.

I don't really want to spend even $1,000 for a ninja 300. if that's the case, I'll just sell it on craigslist and get a 250 or straight trade it on craigslist for someone who doesnt want their 300 anymore.

I would RATHER have an R3 but they're just so new I don't think I'll be able to get one without forking out another 1-2 grand and I really don't want it that bad. I already love the bike I have and don't need another one, this is just for fun if I can swing it without dishing out too many more 20s...

choneofakind
January 11th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I don't work at a dealership!!!!!!!!!! :( unfortunately.

Oh, I must've had that wrong in my head. It's just a shop, not a dealership, right? derp.

I'd say the trade might work out. Squids want CC's badly enough to give up some $$'s. Put as little as possible into this one and give it a shot.

Finesse
January 11th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Oh, I must've had that wrong in my head. It's just a shop, not a dealership, right? derp.

I'd say the trade might work out. Squids want CC's badly enough to give up some $$'s. Put as little as possible into this one and give it a shot.

we're only a dealership for royal enfield bikes and genuine scooters.

I do know the parts department head at coleman powersports but I doubt he'd be able to get me a good deal. I might go hassle some stealerships just for the fun of making them feel bad about losing a potential sale :devil:

MrAtom
January 11th, 2015, 03:11 PM

Hey, could you not? Rape is serious.

choneofakind
January 11th, 2015, 03:19 PM
My appologies. :o

MrAtom
January 11th, 2015, 03:21 PM
I figured you didn't mean to be malicious or anything about it. Thanks. Sorry for getting a little off topic.

Hero Danny
January 12th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Hey, could you not? Rape is serious.

Oh boy...

MrAtom
January 12th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Oh boy...

Talk.

alex.s
January 12th, 2015, 05:04 PM
a dealership? come on katie you know better than that.

EsrTek
January 12th, 2015, 06:41 PM
might be willing to negotiate my '13 300 for that f4i.
Would have to see shape of that bike.

Finesse
January 12th, 2015, 07:30 PM
^!!!

it needs HELP right now. I picked it up this evening. here's what I know:

23000 miles
full yosh exhaust
new rear michelin pilot power 3 tire
passed MD state inspection in july and has 2k miles since
new chain and sprockets
dual-seat model, not that ugly bananer seat
has some nice aftermarket rearsets on it
fires up and sounds good

needs:
radiator
headlight
upper front fairing
left side fairing
clutch lever
handlebar??? def. bar ends/grips
fairing stay mounts?
air ducts came off but look undamaged

it's a bit of a project. I have service records from the last 6 months that indicate it's had about 2000 miles put on it since July 2014. I haven't had a chance to really look at it but I'll take some time tomorrow at work to check it out.

I would like to straight trade it for a leetle bike. I emailed coleman powersports just to waste their time, I really don't want to throw cash on top for anything cause I already have two nice little bikes and don't need a third but the opportunity presents itself I might take it... :)

I'll keep yalls posted! parts are lookin fairly cheap. but I don't put chinese stuff on my bikes so it will get what it deserves lol

EsrTek
January 13th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Are you fixing it up prior to getting rid of it, or trying to avoid that cost??
Fairings I'm not worried about being perfect.
My bike is near perfect condition, minus the scuffs the PO put on fairings.

I think both bikes be nearly same value if being sold privately.
I just don't want to trade a rideable bike for one I can't ride off.

I always wanted the f4i's and was even considering getting that new cbr650F (hoping it would be better than it is).

Finesse
January 13th, 2015, 07:20 PM
I'm fixing it up.

I pulled out the smashed radiator today. the fan, fan cage, and fan motor are all usable. the radiator is trash. I got a new one from work for $100 (we were listing it on ebay for $220. another reminder of how I wouldn't be able to do this if I didn't work at a shop)

I haven't decided exactly what I wanna do with it yet. I might ride it around a little bit, I kinda like it :p

Finesse
January 13th, 2015, 07:52 PM
www.f4ifix.tumblr.com

Hero Danny
January 13th, 2015, 08:23 PM
I'm fixing it up.

I pulled out the smashed radiator today. the fan, fan cage, and fan motor are all usable. the radiator is trash. I got a new one from work for $100 (we were listing it on ebay for $220. another reminder of how I wouldn't be able to do this if I didn't work at a shop)

I haven't decided exactly what I wanna do with it yet. I might ride it around a little bit, I kinda like it :p

I would ride it for a few weeks/months and then decide :) It's a pretty awesome bike.

Finesse
January 13th, 2015, 08:25 PM
I think I've said before that that's what I'm doing .. I have already ridden these bikes. they are good little bikes. It's January, I'm not dumb enough to sell a bike in January when I can make at least 20% more on the same thing in March or April. it's a long way from roadworthy anyway

BoBO
January 13th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Better to do a straight trade. The dealers have to make their $$$, so you will probably get $500-maybe $1000 if you are lucky. I'm sure you will find a guy with a 300 that wants to trade. A buddy of mine did a straight trade with someone recently. He put $1500 on top of his Kawi 300 for a 08 CBR1000rr w/ 6k.

Finesse
January 13th, 2015, 09:26 PM
^wow he got a DEAL

EsrTek
January 13th, 2015, 09:35 PM
If I'd gotten your deal on an f4i, I'd damn sure keep it.
I'm not sure I would trade, at this time, either...there are a few options I am looking into.

I might trade it on an fz-09 new model w/ half fairing and dual headlights. :bow:

Finesse
January 13th, 2015, 09:37 PM
haha I have 3 bikes now and they all run!!! it's a miracle!!!! I want more!!!

the FZ 09 is such a nice bike. so small and light and fast!

BoBO
January 13th, 2015, 09:45 PM
^wow he got a DEAL

I almost got that bike, but I decided to keep the 250 for a fall bike at the track. I'm looking to get a 14/15 Gixxer 600 or 750 though, maybe in a year once I sell one of my cars. That CBR my friend got was in nice condition, the tires were cracked and old but everything else is good. The guy wanted my friends Ninja for his wife.