View Full Version : Too many exhaust choices...help!!!

Urban Ninja
January 29th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Hey guys,

Just wanna get some feedback from veteran Kawi owners or those who have researched on what's the best of the best among the many Ninja 300 exhaust options.

I don't want to spend money on an exhaust that just looks good or is just really loud. I want to find an option that is actually beneficial to the performance of the bike as well.

Thoughts?? :confused:

ForceofWill
January 29th, 2015, 01:10 PM
There is only one option, Area-P.

Urban Ninja
January 29th, 2015, 01:34 PM
There is only one option, Area-P.

Geez, that's another one I'll have to add to my list of options! Haven't considered it. I've narrowed my choices down to Arrow, MGP, or Two Brothers. I'm also in love with Akrapovic but it's hard to get in Cali due to strict emission laws. How does the Area-P compare to these?

Thanks!

alex.s
January 29th, 2015, 02:02 PM
i also vote areaP

Bubba
January 29th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I don't want to spend money on an exhaust that just looks good or is just really loud. I want to find an option that is actually beneficial to the performance of the bike as well.

You need to find a full exhaust replacement, and new EFI map. Without new mapping, performance will actually be worse.
Yoshimura R-77 is another option, but when you spend $600 on an exhaust, another bunch or EFI programmers, you're better off just buying a bigger engine bike.
You can easily spend $1000 on a barely perceptible power increase. Maybe 4hp..maybe 1 ftlb of torque.
All this is assuming the full exhaust is legal in your state, and will be in the future. Get a slipon for looks and sound, if you want a power increase that is real, buy a bigger bike.

Sirref
January 29th, 2015, 02:23 PM
areaP if you want performance
two bros. if you want to sound super loud
mgp to save $$$
akrapovic and arrow are generally regarded as good exhausts but aren't the best in this list at any particular thing you would get an exhaust for
yoshimuras are nice, but my experience is from a 600 with that. It's pretty much my ideal exhaust on my 6 except it's just a bit loud for my tastes despite being quieter than a lot of other exhausts

alex.s
January 29th, 2015, 04:19 PM
everyone thinks you have too much money if you go with yoshi.

i think totsubo is generally regarded as the prettiest/highest performance. but who the hell wants to spend a grand on a pipe

ninjamunky85
January 29th, 2015, 05:35 PM
+1 for AreaP

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff519/ninjamunky85/IMAG0398_zps9f64a30b.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/ninjamunky85/media/IMAG0398_zps9f64a30b.jpg.html)

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff519/ninjamunky85/b05ad214-6cc0-4f2c-8d7a-e2ee563a2557_zpsc976dd86.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/ninjamunky85/media/b05ad214-6cc0-4f2c-8d7a-e2ee563a2557_zpsc976dd86.jpg.html)

Sirref
January 29th, 2015, 05:37 PM
mmm now I want that area P on my 300

Urban Ninja
January 29th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to check out Area P. Seems to be a pretty popular choice for the 300's.

Any thoughts on M4 exhausts??

Hero Danny
January 29th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Area P is definitely the most popular. But don't just ignore other options. All full exhausts will pretty much give roughly the same gains, give or take a half of a hp. I would get the one you like the most, whether it be sounds, looks, or just cheaper price.

Remember, you will need to get a power commander or juice box, that's another $200-300..

Also if you want even more power gains, you could look into pod filters with airbox delete, again, you'll need that power commander/jb

Somchai
January 29th, 2015, 09:02 PM
In the US it seems that AreaP is the most popular, but in the World besides other good systems one of the best and proven most powerful is the Leovince full-system.

JohnnyBravo
January 30th, 2015, 01:36 PM
If you want the complete package get it from Area P...
My studies before I purchased showed areaP was the all around winner, plus the customer service is the best in the buisness!

adouglas
January 30th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Yes, AreaP. But I'd add something....

Go for the Quiet Core option. It will still sound awesome but won't be stupidly loud. And check the dyno charts... the difference is minimal.

Your neighbors will thank you. You'll thank yourself because you won't get a frakkin' headache. And since you live in the People's Proletariat Republik of Kalifornia, the authorities might even let you get away with it.

I had a QC on my 08 Ninjette and loved it.

Hero Danny
January 30th, 2015, 02:47 PM
You'll thank yourself because you won't get a frakkin' headache.

http://thebestearplugs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/13-ear-plugs.jpg

adouglas
January 30th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Should be wearing earplugs anyway; even wind noise at highway speeds can be damaging... but it begs the question. You get a loud exhaust to be... well, loud, right? So loud you have to muffle it with earplugs?

Trust me. That QC sounds aweseome. Throaty, ballsy, wonderful.

snot
January 30th, 2015, 05:50 PM
There is a thread buried here about the area p. Tigerpaw's bike was used for the prototype, the thread includes dyno charts, I think.

Urban Ninja
January 30th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys, really helpful info. I'm between Area P and Arrow now. Have a few weeks to decide while I'm waiting for my tax return. :D

I'm also probably going to get the Bazzaz TC traction and mapping module. Anyone have experience with these?

Somchai
January 30th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys, really helpful info. I'm between Area P and Arrow now. Have a few weeks to decide while I'm waiting for my tax return. :D

I'm also probably going to get the Bazzaz TC traction and mapping module. Anyone have experience with these?

Arrow exhaust is a good choice, because of their high quality and the worldwide approval, what always is a very important point for me.
Besides that the number one Tuner for Ninjettes 250 and 300, the Scuderia Platini in Italy, is using the Arrow exhaust also.
I wish you to have many fun with your bike :thumbup:

liberpolly
January 30th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper and virtually as effective to wrap your exhaust in a sheet of carbon fiber and call it a day? You can drill a few small holes in the back of exhaust for better sound.

Bubba
February 4th, 2015, 02:28 PM
A word about dyno charts...
I've been seeing more and more of this, chart shows stock hp, then overlay of aftermarket pipe, usually highlighting the peak HP.
Be careful, it is very easy to generate charts by just running a cold versus hot engine, and one dyno run has variance, which no one ever talks about ie. +4hp , +/-2 hp.
They should really state run conditions, and show multiple runs, on multiple bikes.

From what I see, you may get 4hp, but only above 11,000, and nothing else.

Slipons look cool. but, whatever you do KEEP THE STOCK EXHAUST, for two reasons: states are starting to pass laws against pipes and buying a new stock exhaust is crazy expensive.

Bubba
February 4th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper and virtually as effective to wrap your exhaust in a sheet of carbon fiber and call it a day? You can drill a few small holes in the back of exhaust for better sound.

You need a certain amount of back pressure to match the efi map.
A good slipon has the aesthetics and will not lose any power.

Besides, carbon fibre is outdated, most racing exhausts are titanium.

ryker
February 4th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Yoshimura in my opinion

alex.s
February 4th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Commander riker! back from Risa early?

i'm probably the only one who knows what the hell i'm even talking about... and i'm fine with that.

ryker
February 4th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Commander riker! back from Risa early?

i'm probably the only one who knows what the hell i'm even talking about... and i'm fine with that.

:rotflmao: :thumbup:

liberpolly
February 4th, 2015, 07:08 PM
You need a certain amount of back pressure to match the efi map.
A good slipon has the aesthetics and will not lose any power.

Besides, carbon fibre is outdated, most racing exhausts are titanium.

Fine, wrap your stock exhaust into titanium foil and write "Yoshimura" on it with a heat-resistant marker. Same end result.

headshrink
February 7th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Yes, AreaP. But I'd add something....

Go for the Quiet Core option. It will still sound awesome but won't be stupidly loud. And check the dyno charts... the difference is minimal.

Your neighbors will thank you. You'll thank yourself because you won't get a frakkin' headache. And since you live in the People's Proletariat Republik of Kalifornia, the authorities might even let you get away with it.

I had a QC on my 08 Ninjette and loved it.

Also have QC on my 08 in Kommifornia. No problems with the popo.

BoBO
February 11th, 2015, 01:38 AM
Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to check out Area P. Seems to be a pretty popular choice for the 300's.

Any thoughts on M4 exhausts??

Area P is a nice piece but get the "quiet core" because they are loud in general. There are other options out there such as Leo Vince or Termignoni exhaust. Personally I would just get a mellow slip on because some slips do not require messing with the fuel delivery, just a kleen air delete. In the long run you will save more money plus it's easy on the ears.

headshrink
February 11th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Area P is a nice piece but get the "quiet core" because they are loud in general. There are other options out there such as Leo Vince or Termignoni exhaust. Personally I would just get a mellow slip on because some slips do not require messing with the fuel delivery, just a kleen air delete. In the long run you will save more money plus it's easy on the ears.

Loud is a relative thing with aftermarket exhausts. Generally speaking, there's stock, and everything else, which is loud and louder. So yes, the "quiet core" is certainly louder than stock, and "quiet" means it won't set off car alarms and make your neighbors hate you, but as soon as I installed it my wife said she could hear me coming home from work before the garage door opened (not so with stock).

I got the Area-P QC because I wanted the performance and found a deal I couldn't refuse. I had to get used to the extra noise, but did so quickly, and it became the standard for which I judge other aftermarket pipes by.

In hindsight, all the money spend here and there, even though it was a little at a time, would have gotten me a 650r probably. It was OK because this was my first bike, and safe to learn to wrench on, but from here on out I consider each upgrade (both cost and consequences) much closer. For instance, I'm not going to mess around with spending hundreds to a couple thousand dollars squeezing a little extra power out of the CBR500 (compare to Ninja 300 power, just not as high reving), I'm just going to save for the Ninja 1000.

NDspd
February 13th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Funny enough, I'm working on a new exhaust system brand unveiling here in the near future. It'll be made in Italy, but the prices will be pretty competitive with other systems here.

It'll be sold from Brock's Performance...

srob7001
February 13th, 2015, 01:14 PM
I have an M4 slip-on and LOVE it. Great sounding and looking, super easy to install.

csmith12
February 14th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Hey guys,

Just wanna get some feedback from veteran Kawi owners or those who have researched on what's the best of the best among the many Ninja 300 exhaust options.

Thoughts?? :confused:

If you haven't decided yet, waiting for a bit longer may save you some cash.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216375

kalleh
February 16th, 2015, 12:49 AM
You need to find a full exhaust replacement, and new EFI map. Without new mapping, performance will actually be worse.
Yoshimura R-77 is another option, but when you spend $600 on an exhaust, another bunch or EFI programmers, you're better off just buying a bigger engine bike.
You can easily spend $1000 on a barely perceptible power increase. Maybe 4hp..maybe 1 ftlb of torque.
All this is assuming the full exhaust is legal in your state, and will be in the future. Get a slipon for looks and sound, if you want a power increase that is real, buy a bigger bike.

My full R-77 system from HardRacing was < $500, and you'd probably get way with a cheaper fuel unit unless you want fancy things like integrated quickshifter.

You probably want the fuel unit anyway since the stock map sucks for smoothness. I blame emission laws :)

ninja250r81
February 18th, 2015, 02:27 AM
Yoshimura in my opinion

+1

Yoshi Full exhaust, Computer, K&N Filter, Tune, Sprocket Change, Better Tyres.

Now ride off into the sunset :thumbup:

Somchai
February 18th, 2015, 03:39 AM
Funny enough, I'm working on a new exhaust system brand unveiling here in the near future. It'll be made in Italy, but the prices will be pretty competitive with other systems here.

It'll be sold from Brock's Performance...

Italians know how to make the most competitive exhausts in the world :thumbup:

I blame emission laws

I totally agree with you :thumbup:

petersophy
March 15th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Yoshi exhausts are pretty loud, but Akrapovic sounds better in my opinion.

Somchai
March 15th, 2015, 09:10 PM
The exhaust choices for the N250 (new-gen) are:
1. AHRS
2. Akrapovic
3. APEX/FMF
4. AreaP
5. Arrow
6. Beowulf
7. Blue Flame
8. D and D
9. Devil
10. Competition Werkes
11. Graves Motorsports
12. Hindle
13. HMF - FHM
14. HR1
15. Jardine
16. K-Factory
17. Leovince
18. LOR (Level One Racing)
19. M4
20. MGP
21. Micron
22. Moriwaki
23. Muzzy
24. Nassert Beet
25. Nojima
26. R9
27. Remus
28. Scorpion
29. Sportisi
30. Totsubo
31. Tsukigi
32. Two Brothers
33. Tyga
34. Vance & Hines
35. Yoshimura

Trailerboy531
March 15th, 2015, 09:15 PM
She has a 300...

AreaP.

snot
May 12th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Add Brock's Performance to the list.

sparky80
May 19th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Any updates to this Urban gal?

I've since sold my 250 and gotten a 300. I'm on the road right now but have a Leo Vince slip-on waiting when I get home. It's from a 250 but hopefully it'll mate up just fine.

Urban Ninja
May 19th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I decided to hold off on getting an exhaust for now :(

I came to a realization that as much as I would like my bike to sound better, an exhaust is not gonna make me a better rider. When I feel like I've progressed enough as a rider to actually notice a difference in bike performance between a stock exhaust and an aftermarket one, I'll make the investment. But for now, I decided to forgo the "cool factor" and invest the money in myself as a rider instead, i.e. track days and advance rider courses.

But I did do extensive research before coming to this decision and found that for the bike to run properly with an aftermarket exhaust system, or even just a slip-on, it is best to get an aftermarket fuel controller. Bazzaz Z-Fi fuel controller seems to have consistently good feedback from riders. As far as the actual exhaust, I would personally go with Scorpion on Arrow. All exhaust options for the 300's seem to have fairly similar performance stats so I would make my final decision based on sound and aesthetics haha

But don't get me wrong....if money wasn't an issue, I'd be rocking an aftermarket exhaust by now!

snot
May 19th, 2015, 05:38 PM
check out Brock's, it really is a great system. it is a little costly but well worth the money.

sparky80
May 25th, 2015, 04:55 PM
The Leo Vince slip-on for a 250 works just fine, as does the Yoshimura exhaust bracket. Picked mine up from revzilla and they are a nice compliment to the bike. For less than $200 for the exhaust, I'm very happy with it.

wardie
May 26th, 2015, 04:26 AM
Urban Ninja..

why not take the money that you would've spent on an exhaust and get some training? If you've gone through some type of MSF class there should be a series of progression to the next level? I recommend going to a track school like Keith Codes Cali Superbike School.

You'll get an accelerated education in just about every facet from suspension settings to throttle control, lean angles etc. Two days will definitely make you a better rider.

The best investment in your bike is to invest in yourself that way you'll have knowledge and your skill level increased to handle a situation and it just might save your life.

Hang in There!

PS take a short 300 mile trip with one of those loud exhausts and I guarantee you you'll be fatigued from it