View Full Version : 500 Mile Day on the Ninja

sm0kediver
June 7th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I left home Saturday morning enroute to the SE Rally at Deal's Gap. There's no cell signal in those mountains, so I never actually found Corey Beth or anyone else, but what a day! I rode the Cherahola Skyway, The Dragon, and caught Wolf Pen Gap on the way back in North Georgia. Hwy 60 North from Suches is an amazing ride too. I let the sun go down while attempting a shortcut (I fly by the seat of my pants - no map or GPS), and ended up doing about 1 1/2 hours in the dark. I had to spend the night in my family's cabin in Ellijay, so yesterday was also my first overnight trip on the little Ninja.

Observations:

* The Ninja is awesome on twisty mountain roads.

*The Ninja can be parked pretty much anywhere.

* It's adequate on high speed four lanes, but not the best choice. It purrs at 60, but 70+ just isn't it's strong suit. I think the bike was fine, but the rider experiences a lot more wind drag, and has to work the throttle a lot more.

* Stretch breaks become more frequent as the day goes by. That seat sucks!

*Did I mention that the seat sucks?

I didn't take a camera. Heck I wasn't prepared for anything. I had to go to Walmart to buy a toothbrush when I realized I wasn't going to make it back home. Killboy and the other outfits shot several pics of me on the Dragon, so hopefully those will turn out.

Skidro
June 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I left home Saturday morning enroute to the SE Rally at Deal's Gap. There's no cell signal in those mountains, so I never actually found Corey Beth or anyone else, but what a day! I rode the Cherahola Skyway, The Dragon, and caught Wolf Pen Gap on the way back in North Georgia. Hwy 60 North from Suches is an amazing ride too. I let the sun go down while attempting a shortcut (I fly by the seat of my pants - no map or GPS), and ended up doing about 1 1/2 hours in the dark. I had to spend the night in my family's cabin in Ellijay, so yesterday was also my first overnight trip on the little Ninja.

Observations:

* The Ninja is awesome on twisty mountain roads.

*The Ninja can be parked pretty much anywhere.

* It's adequate on high speed four lanes, but not the best choice. It purrs at 60, but 70+ just isn't it's strong suit. I think the bike was fine, but the rider experiences a lot more wind drag, and has to work the throttle a lot more.

* Stretch breaks become more frequent as the day goes by. That seat sucks!

*Did I mention that the seat sucks?

I didn't take a camera. Heck I wasn't prepared for anything. I had to go to Walmart to buy a toothbrush when I realized I wasn't going to make it back home. Killboy and the other outfits shot several pics of me on the Dragon, so hopefully those will turn out.

Sounds like you had a great time as did i. TnNinjaGirl & i looked for you, but there was so many bikes there & wasn't easy riding the Dragon trying to spot a specific bike.

I was wanting to run up on you on 411 on the way up, but didn't get to. Would have been cool having a couple of 250s cruising together on that trip, as i saw multiple HDs and other bikes in groups of two or more.

I ended up with a little over 300 miles & hit the 3000 mile mark on my bike.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed your ride & made it home safely, maybe next time we can plan a ride together.

TnNinjaGirl
June 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Sorry we missed you, Jody. Eventually we'll get it right and have a bunch of 250's together.

This weekend I learned it is more fun to ride with other 250s because they have the same riding characteristics. It's hard riding with bigger bikes because they go in slow and floor it through the apex. On the 250, momentum is key. Hard to do when you are 3 feet away from a 180 rear tire.

sm0kediver
June 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I know that's right. On the skyway I'd get stuck in with a herd of 600s, and when it straightened out, they'd be gone. Some of those guys were also passing cars in curves and I'm surprised I didn't see a head on.

Maybe we can put together another one soon.

Snake
June 8th, 2009, 01:12 AM
It sounds like a good time was had by all. One day I will make it out as well.

Banzai
June 8th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Good deal, sounds like one heck of a cool ride. I did 250 miles one way in a day up to Washington DC for Rolling Thunder. I agree, the seat sucks!

sm0kediver
June 9th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I found a pic of me on US129 Photos (still waiting on Killboy to load Saturday). I'd like to have more days like that.

CC Cowboy
June 9th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Jody, u da man. By the way, where was that cabin again?

sm0kediver
June 9th, 2009, 06:39 AM
In Ellijay Georgia. Near Blue Ridge, Carters Lake etc.

Cali619
June 9th, 2009, 07:03 AM
nice ride report and pic, sometimes getting lost on a new road is fun. Find a new twisty route that nobody knows of and no traffic/cops and you got a private track :)

BlueTyke
June 9th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Wow sounds great! I am jealous!

sm0kediver
June 9th, 2009, 07:59 AM
It was a seriously fun day. Even though I managed to hit many miles of twisties in three different states, most of the miles were generated on 2 and 4 lane highways (the kind with no curves).

It's really too much to do in a day. By the time I was headed up Wolf Pen Gap I was just going through the motions, and after sundown it was almost like work. I was tired! I'll make that same loop again this summer, but I'll plan a little better next time, and probably make a it a 3 day trip.

sm0kediver
June 13th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Here's a another shot from the Dragon...

addy126
June 13th, 2009, 09:07 PM

I like this shot!

Elfling
June 14th, 2009, 07:30 AM
So jealous! Awesome pics :)

xTKx
June 19th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Nice pic Jody!! :thumbup: