View Full Version : DIY Install of the Bikemonkey Integrated LED tail light

bae13
June 9th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Ive noticed a few people on here talking about my new integrated tail light
Q1- where do u get it? www.bikemonkey.com.au Q2- how do u install? Like this!! Mind u this is a no cut, so dont cut install!
U may notice i have changed the rear fender with an eliminator. but thats irrelivant. its all the same!

1: here she is all pretty with here big red STOCK tail light and AM indicators

2: Remove it all. Rear seat or cowl, black plastic sides, seat and rear fenders. (i left the right fender on coz ive done this before, this is just for you!)

3: Remove the 2 bolts holding the tail light in place like so. remove the bulb from housing, then lift the stock light up and out,
2326 2327

4: Lay both lights out, removing the grey rubber grommets from the stock taillight and installing into the LED taillight in exactly the same way.
2308 2309

5: Install the new led bulb connector into the holder like so. Feed the wires into the back of the light and click in2 place.
2310 2311 2312

Reinstall light as per removal

6: I used the Acumen Kawasaki unversal fit, which didnt fit. so i made it fit, MY WAY. Leaving the option to go back if needed. Remember NO CUT. Factory flasher on the left Acumen on the right.

7: Removed the plastic thingy and cut off the brass tips.

then attached the red spade connectors crimped and soldered.

Let it cool down and then plug into factory harness and cable tie the new flasher in.

8: SIGNALS. here im an exeption to the rule of no cut. my previous after market indicators came with wires and connectors specific to the bike (and yes the aftermarket wires i got mean orange is my hot wire. so dont ask.) with the install the yellow and blue wires connect to their respective sides, left and right. (you'll figure that out. if the wrong side flashes, switch sides.) each of these wires go to the HOT side, or green wire from stock. leave the ground wire alone, the indicators take the ground from the black ground wire at the back of the LED taillight. heres mine.

If you dont want to keep the original indicators cut the wire here and use the green (HOT)side.

9: After you have checked and then checked again that all the lights are flashing on the correct side and brake and running light are operational. tuck all the wires away and cable tie if necessary.

10: refit all plastics and fairings with the correct bolts, remember dont confuse them as the bolts are are differant lengths, so take note of there location.
2321 2322

11: now stand back, cos your DONE!!!

Any questions, let me know..

NJD022588
June 9th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Nice DIY, Brad! :thumbup:

To help anyone that may use this, the new electronic flasher used in Step 6 can be bought at most auto parts stores.

Alex
June 9th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Nice work; added to the DIY sticky at the top of the tech section.

andrewwoo
June 9th, 2009, 09:34 AM
WOW! i love it!!!! i really want mine now!

istreefitty
July 13th, 2009, 01:21 AM
is there a DIY for the photon flush mounts and this taillight?? thanks

bae13
July 13th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I never got around 2 doing a DIY install on the proton flushmounts. when it stops raining here ill pull em off my bike and do a re-instal, just 4 u.....

bae13
July 13th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Must admit they do look good.......

Zandit
July 13th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Have got mine on order with a smoke lens, Cant wait!

dpinside
July 16th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I have mine sitting at home. Both Proton Lights and Bike Monkey Integrated Tail Light (smoke lens). Picking up Diodes and Relay on my way home. Plan on doing a DIY for full install. If needed it can be posted.

4 LED's w/ relay and diodes. Have a visio drawing of the circuit (yeah bored at work) that i'll probably attach too. :thumbup:

noche_caliente
July 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Jack, I don't think I've welcomed you! Where are you in VA? Have you posted in the new members section?

madcrossover
July 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Jack (dpinside) do you have a pic of what the smoke version looks like? My brother is thinking about getting one. Thanks :thumbup:

Zandit
July 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Ok, so heres a picture of the smoke lens.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu124/zandit/P1010141.jpg
Now the top cover is not fitting too well at the moment, however this will hopefully remedied soon. The indicators are not wired in yet and the old ones will soon be deleted and the rear fender removed completely(cut back so its flush)

Zandit
July 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Actually, I just noticed something, bae13's rear end looks different to mine. The brace thats welded over the tail light is a different design. Is that because of different years?
Is it different because you have a rear seat cowl? is there modifications needed to put in the the cowl! I'm confused!

AnarchoMoltov
July 19th, 2009, 12:15 AM
put some velcro on the top of the tail light and bottom of the plastic piece that goes over the light....or use double stick tape.....

Zandit
July 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah, will be doing that when my new seat cowl arrives. I think I twisted it a bit when I removed it!

bae13
July 20th, 2009, 04:17 AM
correct with the velcro. i removed the velcro from the original tail light and stuck it on the interated. as im aware the 08 and 09 are virtually identical.

Zandit
July 20th, 2009, 06:46 AM
yeah my bad!! Realised tonight that I missed the clip that holds down that top cover at the rear. I transferred the velcro over no probs there and as to the brace, again, my bad must pay attention, they are the same but you have a rubber grommet in the hole and what looks like a cable tie going through the hole to tidy up the wires, am I correct?

bae13
July 21st, 2009, 02:48 AM
arrr, no that rubber grommet is for the cowl cover. unlike the seat which slides into the back, the cowl cover uses a pin which goes through the hole where the round grommet is. i used the cable tie to A) stop the grommet falling into the bike when inserted incorrectly, B) causes the pin to snap into place, as opposed to just sitting in there.

M-Oorb
July 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Ok im a total noob when it comes to electronics. I got the light hooked up so that the running light and the brake light is working and now I cant figure out how to hook up the turn signals. I see my blue and yellow wire from the tail light. I followed the stock turn signal wires to where they connect. But how do I attach the blue and yellow wire to those connectors?

M-Oorb
July 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Ok I took a guess and removed the wires from the stock rear turn signal. I connected the yellow wire the the green wire(this is the hot one correct?) and the brake light for that side on the tail light goes out but the turn signal doesnt blink. Im guessing I have to ground this somewhere and somehow with the stock black wire but where and how?

M-Oorb
July 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Ok re-read the thread and if I understand correctly I leave the ground alone...so why isnt it blinking? I already switched out the flash relay with one that a member said worked. Please helppp

M-Oorb
July 24th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Disregard last 3 posts...I plead to being an idiot and not having my front turn signals installed...everything is working great and my smoked integrated turn signal looks fantastic!!

Zandit
July 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Disregard last 3 posts...I plead to being an idiot and not having my front turn signals installed...everything is working great and my smoked integrated turn signal looks fantastic!!

You're a bit like me M-Oorb!!!! just jump in and don't worry about reading everything through properly!!!
I finally got indicators working and a fenderectomy done, but then my tail/brake light wouldn't work....I blew a fuse!!!:D

M-Oorb
July 25th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Haha well I read...I guess not close enough though haha. Also a little confused with the wires as the OP didn't have stock rear turn signals but I figured it out soon enough lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Zandit
July 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Here's a pic of mine installed correctly with the fenderectomy
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu124/zandit/P1010155.jpg
I used a dremel for the operation, patient made a full recovery!!

istreefitty
July 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Ok great job guys but I still need a DIY for flush mounts and BM tail lights. Any takers???
Posted via Mobile Device

M-Oorb
July 25th, 2009, 05:55 PM
this thread is the thread for the bm tail light?
Posted via Mobile Device

dpinside
July 27th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Been pretty busy lately, but I got a chance to install the Proton turn signals this weekend, and got them to work with a new electronic flasher. The tail light on the other hand (Bikemonkey's) does not work, well the turn signals, the brake light works fine.

Bae13 did you install diodes under the dash?

BTW, I am taking pictures.

bae13
July 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM
ey dpinside, what do u mean the turn signals dont work? dont work at all? flashing funny? stays on? let us know what the prob is. and no, i didnt install diodes under the dash. and ive got the protons aswell, so wouldnt mind knowing what your problem is.

dpinside
July 27th, 2009, 06:54 AM
ey dpinside, what do u mean the turn signals dont work? dont work at all? flashing funny? stays on? let us know what the prob is. and no, i didnt install diodes under the dash. and ive got the protons aswell, so wouldnt mind knowing what your problem is.

K. Well protons installed without the BM tail light work fine. I upgraded the flasher to an electonic LED rated. Now when I hook up BM's tail light in the back the brake light works fine. Flashers in front are dimmed and both pulse, along with the side of the tail light that the flasher is engaged going dark, but no lights light up. I applied power to the wire that lights up the yellow LEDs to see if they were working and they light up. I'm at work now but I will post pics of what I'm talking about when I get home more or less I might have messed up the wiring. It was late last night and I was a little tired.
Posted via Mobile Device

dpinside
July 28th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Update.

I was thinking to myself it may be my relay. I went out and bought a 25 amp variable load electronic flasher which is 5 amps greater than the relay I had to see if that was the issue. Well It made it A LOT better, but now all the lights flash instead of not flashing at all when I turn the blinker on either left or right. When I turn the left blinker on, the left side lights up bright and acutally blinks, but the front right side blinker has a low dim pulse to it, almost like its getting backflow and the other half of BM's tail light pulses from red to yellow and vice versa. Maybe I need LED load balancers, or a bigger relay. Any suggestions?

noche_caliente
July 28th, 2009, 09:43 AM
go read through the proton flushmounts thread towards the end Jack - Mike explains it really well

dpinside
July 28th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I did read that post. A couple times actually. ;)

Bae13 said he did not use diodes using Proton LEDs and Bikemonkeys LED tail light. Same setup minus the Acumen relay. I'll add the diodes under the dash and see if I can get it working.

AnarchoMoltov
July 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM
You need to wire a diode under your dash to get the proton LED front turn signals to work with the bikemonkey led integrated tail light, I just did it a couple weeks ago, i made a D.I.Y, sort of, on how to wire in the diode..I dont know how bae13 got his to work without a diode...he probably just doesnt notice his opposite side flashing yet..

here's a link on hoe to do it-------> http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24500

dpinside
July 28th, 2009, 04:05 PM
:thumbup: the man ----^

F1fnatik
August 8th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Just tried this install and unfortunately the directions said the flashers would work just fine. Well....Everything works great with the exception of the turn signals don't flash. They come on but don't blink. Not sure exactly what I need to do. I connected each respective indicator to the hot wire (of course) and taped off the groud (coming from the harness). Any suggestions on what to do??

Thanks for your help!!
Mike

Zandit
August 9th, 2009, 02:35 AM
You will need to get a flasher relay to replace the factory one that handles LEDs, available from most auto electrical places

F1fnatik
August 9th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll head over to the auto parts store and see what I can find. Is there anything in particular other than motorcycle flasher that will support LED lights? I hate to sound ignorant but I just want to make sure I get it right! Do I need one or two (another stupid question I'm sure)?

Zandit
August 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
If you tell the guys at the store what you are after, they should be able to tell you. Remove your relay(follow wires from tail back towards the tank, you will see it hanging by a rubber support) and take it in to compare with the new one

F1fnatik
August 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Stopped in AutoZone. Talked to a guy and he handed me a package of Resistors (2 for $12). Installed in 5 minues and bingo, flashing signals. Thanks for the tip!

I used the lic bracket that came on the bike and bolted that throught he bottom of the fender as a no-cost fender eliminator. I left the bungeee hooks on but will be removing those once I get a small bit of hardware for the connections which will clean it up even more. Not bad.

Tail is nice and clean now:
http://picasaweb.google.com/f1fnatik/J9sScoot#5368333892863113426
http://picasaweb.google.com/f1fnatik/J9sScoot#5368333891700043906

AnarchoMoltov
August 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM
looks good, u better be careful with the position of your license plate though...it gives the cops a excuse to screw with u...

F1fnatik
August 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Well, I try to behave as much as possible. I'll try not to give them a (another) reason to pull me!

Zandit
August 12th, 2009, 12:42 AM
That looks really neat, but isn't the number plate a little concealed? What do the Popo say?

F1fnatik
August 12th, 2009, 05:02 AM
It's actually pretty easy to read form the back and I'll be installing an LED light for it in the next day or so (I ride 98% in daylight anyway).

muloh
August 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I received this unit from Carl this week and finally got it installed a couple days ago. I am very impressed with this product! No cuts to any of the parts (either on my bike or the light). I plugged the turn signals into the stock connectors and heat-shrunk them to stay waterproof/tight.

Carl was kind enough to include a flasher relay that was plug and play - no cutting like in the DIY. The only part that was "difficult" was getting the socket into the stock wiring harness - it was a little sharp and I did it after putting the tail back together, so I didn't have much room. But, that's hardly anything to complain about - the quality is awesome!

noche_caliente
August 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Welcome Brock. It's nice to have you join us. I hope you enjoy the light!

ScorpionNinja
August 15th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Question about the BM LED tail-light here! Lets say i buy it, install it step by step from the 'Destructions" and when i go to use my Rear turn signals... the Stock turn signals, DONT work/blink in sync with the BM-LED built in turnsignals (amber)??? If this Kits installed correctly and you use the stock rear turn signals.... shouldnt the BM LED turnsignals & stock ones all blink in- sync?

As a side note, hes a link to a part (thou its not for ninja 250R) its a Neat idea that would be an ideal Mod! :thumbup:

http://http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4934/621/ (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4934/621/)

F1fnatik
August 15th, 2009, 06:58 PM
They do blink at the same rate...although faster. I'm not that worried about the quicker flashing but to answer your question, they do blink in sync.

noche_caliente
August 15th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Dave - that's pretty neat - you should start a new thread about it as to not take away from the Bikemonkey product

ScorpionNinja
August 16th, 2009, 05:00 PM
They do blink at the same rate...although faster. I'm not that worried about the quicker flashing but to answer your question, they do blink in sync.

oh ok, hmm so how would you get them to blink all in snyc, but at the Normal speed? Im not a electonics expert hince im asking some detailed questions.... i am thinking of getting this BM led mod. Or at least just getting a rely flasher thingy like Sugarbear has that uses her stock taillight... all it does is make her stock taillight do the 3x pulse when you 'Tap your brakes' just once. Its a nice safety thing, as id rather NOT have to manually squeeze the front brakes often at a stop... so i can just REST my throttle hand, ya know! :thumbup:

F1fnatik
August 16th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I think you just have to get a different flasher but I'm not positive since I haven't addressed it yet. I like the 3x flash thing too. When I get some time I'll do a bit of research and see if I can get that solved as well.

randomwalk101
August 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM
not exactly sure why removing all kinds fairing and $hit to install the BM light. I just literally installed it in 5 mins or less.
I did NOT however hook up the signals..I just left it out and not use it.

1) remove seat cowl (or rear seat).
2) stick a 10mm socket in and remove the two bolts holding the tail light
3) twist and remove the stock bulb out of taillight
4) pull tail light out (now holds by velcro)
5) transfer two grommet over to BM light, reinstall reverse of removal. Done.

randomwalk101
August 25th, 2009, 01:58 PM
For those who have BM light but not using the turn signal portion, have you openned up the unit and replaced all the yellow signal LEDs and change them to red ones then hook up to brake light...have one superbright taillight when you hit the brake? :)

ScorpionNinja
August 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Nice DIY, Brad! :thumbup:

To help anyone that may use this, the new electronic flasher used in Step 6 can be bought at most auto parts stores.

You mean that if i Just wanted to make my Stock tail-light do the 3x Pulse Flash when i tap the brakes once... all i gotta do is remove the Stock Flasher adn Replace it was the New electronic flasher?

If so... ummm what info and specs do i need to tell the autoparts store guy, so hell get me the Right Part?
Whats the Cost of this Part?
-Thanks! :thumbup:

Ken08Ninja
August 26th, 2009, 10:29 AM
You mean that if i Just wanted to make my Stock tail-light do the 3x Pulse Flash when i tap the brakes once... all i gotta do is remove the Stock Flasher adn Replace it was the New electronic flasher?

If so... ummm what info and specs do i need to tell the autoparts store guy, so hell get me the Right Part?
Whats the Cost of this Part?
-Thanks! :thumbup:

No, the new flasher is to get the TURN signals to flash properly when using LED lights.

Momaru
August 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Dave, if you want to have a flashing brake light, you might look here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5583

It's not free, but it's inexpensive and completely reversible.

John, I seem to remember the folks @ bikemonkey saying their light is rather well sealed to make it waterproof. Having looked, (I had a similar thought, but wanted to altering the LED arrangement) I think popping it open to switch out those orange/yellow turn-signal LEDs might be a bit difficult. More power to ya if you want to try, just make sure to get properly rated LEDs for the replacement (ask the bikemonkey folks what they're using?). I'm happy with having redundant turn signals. Helps make up for all the people that don't use 'em :D

ScorpionNinja
August 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Dave, if you want to have a flashing brake light, you might look here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5583

It's not free, but it's inexpensive and completely reversible.

John, I seem to remember the folks @ bikemonkey saying their light is rather well sealed to make it waterproof. Having looked, (I had a similar thought, but wanted to altering the LED arrangement) I think popping it open to switch out those orange/yellow turn-signal LEDs might be a bit difficult. More power to ya if you want to try, just make sure to get properly rated LEDs for the replacement (ask the bikemonkey folks what they're using?). I'm happy with having redundant turn signals. Helps make up for all the people that don't use 'em :D

Hmmm how about this i came across while making a LINK in another Thread?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/AMPERITE-STOP-ALERT-BRAKE-LIGHT-PULSATOR/GP_2010076_N_111+2009+200004366+600014762_10111.jcw

ScorpionNinja
August 26th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Sweet thanks very much for that LINK!

Just bought 1 for $32.90 (shipped) from that guy!

Cant wait to plug it in!:thumbup:

Its useable also on zx6R too (my next bike when im ready and have money too burn)

DsmRacing
August 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Posted via Mobile Device
Just to add to this thread, if you use the BM tail light signals with the stock front blinkers then you will need an electronic flaher. You can purchase the FL-32 flasher at Autozone for $8.00. Works great! Remove your stock flasher and install the FL-32, no cutting, direct fit. I also used the kawi universal signal wire kits that I purchased from cyclegear. Again direct fit, no cutting.

cochraneap
August 27th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
Just to add to this thread, if you use the BM tail light signals with the stock front blinkers then you will need an electronic flaher. You can purchase the FL-32 flasher at Autozone for $8.00. Works great! Remove your stock flasher and install the FL-32, no cutting, direct fit. I also used the kawi universal signal wire kits that I purchased from cyclegear. Again direct fit, no cutting.

um, where is the flasher located? that's all i have left to do.

i have the BM integrated taillight installed, wires for turn signals spliced and connected.

i just can find the flasher to be able to replace it with an LED flasher.

Momaru
August 27th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Should be outboard of the frame, inside your left tail fairing if I recall correctly. Been a while since I did the flasher switchout.

cochraneap
August 27th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Should be outboard of the frame, inside your left tail fairing if I recall correctly. Been a while since I did the flasher switchout.

Ah! yep. thanks. for some reason, I thought the picture in this thread showed it on the right side, so that's where I was looking.

plugged the new FL-32 electronic flasher in and everything works great. front and rear signals flash, and at a good pace.

so glad to finally be done with this. I have been stubbornly trying to figure out how to get the rear turn signals hooked up on my own for the past couple days.

DsmRacing
August 27th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I finally finished this mod tonight! I like the look of the rear of the bike much better now. I still have to get a LP light. To add to this, the No-cut modulator works perfectly with the BM tail light.

divingtigger
August 28th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Anyone who did this wanna sell their stock tail light?? The lens on mine is busted and my bike will fail the safety with the integrated one

randomwalk101
August 28th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I thought you part out your bike??
Posted via Mobile Device

divingtigger
August 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Nope it ended up that the place doing the integrity screwed up and was talking about another green ninja they were doing an integrity on that failed. They passed mine and straightened out the subframe for free (less than an hours worth of work)

randomwalk101
August 28th, 2009, 09:13 AM
so frame straight messed up dealer not your green ninja messed up before part out but free subframe straight up now all good part out no more?

divingtigger
August 28th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Yep that's pretty much it. I knew that the back was a little twisted, and the insurance company here (government owned and regulated in Manitoba) requires all insurance auction vehicles to pass an integrity (prior to rebuilding) and a safety (after rebuilding) before you can register and insure it for street use

divingtigger
August 28th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I did put a post in my forsale thread....guess I should move it to the top or just delete the whole thing

Momaru
August 28th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Andrew, how did you end up routing your wires to the flashers? Did you keep your stock flashers as well as adding the integrated or did you pull the stalks? Curious to see/hear how other people did it. Suppose I should post pics of what I did while I'm at it :rolleyes:

cochraneap
August 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Andrew, how did you end up routing your wires to the flashers? Did you keep your stock flashers as well as adding the integrated or did you pull the stalks? Curious to see/hear how other people did it. Suppose I should post pics of what I did while I'm at it :rolleyes:

i did away with the entire factory rear fender, replacing it with a BikeLiteZ undertail fender eliminator kit.

- cut the cables off the factory signals.
- trimmed back the black tubing.
- stripped 1/4" of the green wire on both.
- put a closed end connector on the black wire on both and covered them with electrical tape.
- cut the flat ends off the blue and yellow Bike Money signal wires.
- stripped 1/4" of the blue and yellow wires.
- connected them to their respective green wires with butt end connectors and covered them with electrical tape.

to remember which signal wire went into which factory cable (one has gray connections, one has black connections), i noted that the second letter of gRay is R so that is the Right signal, and the second letter of bLack is L so that is the Left signal.

got an FL-32 "heavy duty Truck and RV electronic flasher" from Autozone for $12 and it plugged in without any modification and works perfectly. the flash rate is exactly where it needs to be, it's not too fast like some people have reported with other flashers.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4893/snc00211r.jpg

xjapa1n
September 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'm having this problem with the flashers as well but I'm in Japan. No one seems to have this FL-32 flasher and on top of that, I can't find it on the internet except on the Autozone website. Unfortunately they just won't send it to me since I'm 6000 miles away...I can't believe how easy this would be if I wasn't overseas!

noche_caliente
September 9th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Dave - I'd be happy to help you get the flasher - drop me a PM

xjapa1n
September 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM
I DID IT!! It only took me 3 weeks but I did it!

Gumachine
November 20th, 2009, 10:49 PM
quick nub question, is a new flasher necessary or can you use the factory one? and if you do will that cause any problems?

Momaru
November 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
Yes you can technically use the stock flasher, for at least some amount of time. But it'll at least result in an unusual flash rate for your blinkers. It's mentioned earlier in this thread.

mattyg909
December 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
I cant find where the hot wire (green wire) is located inside the bike. Where do the blue and yellow wires plug in to? Ive unplugged the stock blinkers and cant find where the LED signals plug in.

Momaru
December 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM
The LED signal wires go to the hot wires for the stocker signals. I wound up routing the LED wiring out the small hole in the tail and into the bulb housing for my stock signals because I wanted to have both. Just attached the brass clips to an extra tab on the blinker socket.

As for the green wire, I can't remember having to fuss with it; just plug the bulb adapter into the socket.
EDIT: yep, green wire is the hot line for the blinkers that's mostly covered by black insulation

I'll shoot some pics in the morning if I remember and post 'em up.

mattyg909
December 1st, 2009, 09:06 PM
I actually just cut off the stock blinker wire and attatched the blue and yellow to the green hot wire with a connector butt. The tail light is working fine but the blinkers just stay on and dont blink when they are turned on. Any suggestions as to which turn signal flash relay to get?

Momaru
December 1st, 2009, 09:24 PM
Ok, I'm a loser and just went outside in my pajamas to get you some pics.

As I mentioned, I routed the blue & yellow blinker LED wires down thru the wiring port in the mudguard and into the stock blinker housings.

5111 5112

I've got closeups of the left stock blinker housing with the green wire as hot (the shorter one), blue as LED 'hot' (looped all the way around the bulb for some slack) and black/yellow (ground) just barely visible.

I just worked the blue prong under the heat-shrink of the green and zip-tied it in place.

No individual grounding needed for the LEDs as (I think) they share a ground with the brake light.
If you're removing the stock blinkers, I imagine you could just pull all the wiring thru the mudguard and join it directly or even just splice. I'm a fan of reversible mods though so I got a little creative.

Also be careful with the bulb adapter for the brake light. I had to re-solder the ground because I kinda mangled mine :( Still works like a champ though!

Hope this helps!

mattyg909
December 1st, 2009, 09:28 PM
thanks so much paul i really do appreciate it

Momaru
December 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
Hah, or you could do it that way :D

As far as the flasher relay, I'd say grab the one you've got and hit up your local auto-parts store for an electronic flasher relay that'll handle LED loads.

Here's a post in this thread that discusses someone else's solution relay that also removed the stock flashers.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=87435&postcount=31

DarkNinja52
January 2nd, 2010, 04:01 AM
sooo... im confused as all hell.. i have no idea what a diode is or what a resistor does

i plan on installing protons with a bm integrated tail light.. apparently the tail light comes with a flasher relay.. what else do I need?

AnarchoMoltov
January 2nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
sooo... im confused as all hell.. i have no idea what a diode is or what a resistor does

i plan on installing protons with a bm integrated tail light.. apparently the tail light comes with a flasher relay.. what else do I need?

Here's a DIY on how to wire a DIODE, there may be another way to get it to work, but I know this way definitely works....:thumbup: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24500&highlight=Wiring+diode+turn+signals

DarkNinja52
January 2nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
ok so i need a diode. thanks man. im not sure i understand why though, i read through a bunch of these threads dealing with tail lights and resistors and led's.. but i cant seem to understand why i need it

randomwalk101
January 2nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Diode prevent back flow. You put it in per instruction to sep out right from left line so each signal works indep of each other..otherwise if you hit the signal, both side will flash (at stock rate if you swapped out the flasher).
I've done the research and gave the info to another member who wrote a nice and easy diy to follow...
Posted via Mobile Device

DarkNinja52
January 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
nice, that makes sense, i read somewhere on here that the other side lights up because of backflow and since diodes prevent back flow that seems to make sense. thanks again

RD423
March 3rd, 2010, 11:21 PM
Where do u put the FL-32? I am not sure where to put it or how to install it.

Momaru
March 3rd, 2010, 11:34 PM
The FL-32 replaces the stock signal flasher relay, located in the rear left (as if you're sitting on the bike) tail cowling just behind and outboard of the seat. Here's a picture of my stock relay from my '08 once I'd removed it
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=315&pictureid=3137

You just pull the stock relay off the white plug pictured here (from OP) and attach your new relay. Might want to zip-tie it in place though.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2317&thumb=1&d=1244540718

DarkNinja52
March 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM
When i put the turn signals on, the correct side of the tail light flashes, but in between flashes, the running light doesnt stay on, so essentially, half the light goes off and just blinks yellow instead of red to yellow then red back to yellow pattern? help

also how do i wire the rear stock signals in addition to the bm light

note: protons installed along with diode under teh dash.

Momaru
March 11th, 2010, 12:09 AM
AJ, turns out my bike does the same thing; amber flashing instead of red-amber alternating for turn signal. I've got the same setup: protons up front, diode mod and BM in the rear (both stock & integrated signals in back). Think it's something to do with the diode mod, but not sure. However I like the change as I think it's simpler for cagers so I'm going to leave well enough alone.

blbills
March 16th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I really like the bike monkey integrated tail light.

Does anyone have an electrical schematic of one? Or pictures of the inside? Is it just a series of LED's with resistors for each different circuit? (Brake, left/right turn signals) Or is there something special about it?

Thanks.

DarkNinja52
March 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I really like the bike monkey integrated tail light.

Does anyone have an electrical schematic of one? Or pictures of the inside? Is it just a series of LED's with resistors for each different circuit? (Brake, left/right turn signals) Or is there something special about it?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're exactly looking for but take a look at this. It might help a bit.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24500&page=2

the tail light has resistors in it so you don't need any if thats what youre asking. if this post didnt help then reword the question and maybe ill be able to help.

QUE5710N
May 8th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Sorry for this being my first post to the site but Ive got til tomorrow to figure this out and I go to work in 2 hours. I have installed the light into the bike and inserted bulb like fitting. I replaced the stock signal resistor thing with a FL-32; however, my LED signals are not flashing and my tail light stays lit as if the brake is being applied. I checked all 6 or 7 of the fuses in the box all were good. What to do? Please help and Il make sure and post my intro. Monday. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

jonthechron
May 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hum, I can help you figure it out, but I need more details on your installation.. beginning with..

What is this FL-32 "thingy" you speak about? Can you provide me with a link to where you got it? Or provide it's specs, or something?

How did you connect the light? Try and get some CLEAR PICTURES about your installation and joints, if that's not possible, at least what wire you connected with what other wire.

xKoTx
May 12th, 2010, 08:24 PM
ok installed mine it doesnt flash . i removed the original turn signals so now all i have to do is change the relay? what is the exact part i need to get ?

QUE5710N
May 13th, 2010, 06:31 AM
jonthechron: the fl-32 part is the resistor for leds. I got it from autozone. It allows my blinkers to flash, which are working perfectly but my brake like is constantly illuminated. As far as installation, I didn't splice any wires I just plugged in the 1157 light bulb part into the taillight light bulb socket.

xKoTx
May 13th, 2010, 08:08 AM
But you removed the original turn signals or kept them?

Momaru
May 13th, 2010, 11:25 AM
jonthechron: the fl-32 part is the resistor for leds. I got it from autozone. It allows my blinkers to flash, which are working perfectly but my brake like is constantly illuminated. As far as installation, I didn't splice any wires I just plugged in the 1157 light bulb part into the taillight light bulb socket.

Might check your brake light sensors, especially the one just inboard of the foot/rear brake pedal; the flasher change shouldn't affect your brake light function. You adjust the cutoff for the rear brake light signal by rotating the plastic nut up/down on the threads.
http://i.imagehost.org/0195/7_3.jpg
(pic borrowed from Samuel913's DIY on WRRP rearset install)

For clarity, I believe the FL-32 is a flasher relay, not a resistor.

Momaru
May 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM
ok installed mine it doesnt flash . i removed the original turn signals so now all i have to do is change the relay? what is the exact part i need to get ?

Do the turn signals light @ all? They should at least light whether you've got the right relay or not.
I assume you hooked the blue & yellow wires coming from the BM light into the associated positive leads from the flasher signals on the stock wiring when you removed the stock turn signals?

xKoTx
May 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
yes i connected them to the positive and the just stay on so do i need resistors to close the chain or just change the relay?

Momaru
May 17th, 2010, 05:27 PM
When i put the turn signals on, the correct side of the tail light flashes, but in between flashes, the running light doesnt stay on, so essentially, half the light goes off and just blinks yellow instead of red to yellow then red back to yellow pattern? help

also how do i wire the rear stock signals in addition to the bm light

note: protons installed along with diode under teh dash.

Figured it out, at least in my case. I'd bought the wrong type of flasher, which wound up causing some weird issues with my Protons as well as the BM "no interim red". Replaced it with one of the CF12ANL-01 (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FCF12ANL-01.html) from superbrightLEDS and all works as it should now

romeo127
November 21st, 2010, 09:49 AM
i know im late by a year but i just got my bike and ordered the bike monkey integrated tail light, when i was installing the black wire from the integrated tail light came out of the housing, is there any place that i could take this to solder it back into the housing?

power noob
November 29th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Do you guys like this bikemonkey light better than the shinto integrated break light?

sterlan
December 11th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hey I have a problem and i wanted to know if you can help me out. I have a 2010 ninja 250R and i am trying to install a integrated tail light from Bike Monkeys. I connected all the wires and connectors, but when i tried to do a test, The brake light works. However the the right and left turn signals they just stay on and does not blink. If you can help me out that will be great. Thank you.

romeo127
December 11th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Hey I have a problem and i wanted to know if you can help me out. I have a 2010 ninja 250R and i am trying to install a integrated tail light from Bike Monkeys. I connected all the wires and connectors, but when i tried to do a test, The brake light works. However the the right and left turn signals they just stay on and does not blink. If you can help me out that will be great. Thank you.

Did you replace your electronic flasher?

sterlan
December 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Not sure what you mean about a electronic flasher. Is that the stock flasher relay? \If that is what you are referring to, then no, i did not replace it. The only thing i did was replace the rear stock light with the BM integrated tail light. All the wires are connected correctly because the brake light, left and right signal light function. The only problem i have is with the turn signals not flashing, they just stay on without blinking. please please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

TenaciousD
December 11th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Not sure what you mean about a electronic flasher. Is that the stock flasher relay? \If that is what you are referring to, then no, i did not replace it. The only thing i did was replace the rear stock light with the BM integrated tail light. All the wires are connected correctly because the brake light, left and right signal light function. The only problem i have is with the turn signals not flashing, they just stay on without blinking. please please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

From post #59 in this very thread

romeo127
December 11th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Yea go to kragen or autozone and bring the stock relay and they should direct you to a thermal flasher relay or an eltronic flash relay 552 I think. I had that same problem all will be solved after the new relay

sterlan
December 12th, 2010, 06:06 AM
thank you guys for the help. I will definitely get the FL-32 Electronic Flasher Relay and install it as soon as possible. I will give you guys and update once i install it.

Shadozknight
January 16th, 2011, 11:10 PM
First, this site is great! Just got my 250 a month ago. Just got my integrated tail light. So I just connect the yellow from the new taillight to the green from the bike and nothing to the negative from the bike? I think I read this earlier but wanted to be 100% before I start touching the electrical.
Thanks in advance

Since I just posted, I thought I'd also let ppl know that a lot of ppl want to know how a Level One Racing exhaust sounds like. Check out my YouTube cause I got one since no-one else has one..lol
-avi-

Alex
January 16th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Hi Avi -

No such thing as off the subject here, but things need to be in the appropriate area. Why don't you move the post about the exhaust to its own new thread in the tech section? This thread is a DIY (do-it-yourself) thread for the bikemonkey tail light install.

- Alex

Shadozknight
January 17th, 2011, 01:04 AM
So now if I do install my integrated tail light and also have front led lights, I gotta add diodes too, to get them all not light up at the same time? Geez

snowsoldier
April 7th, 2011, 07:10 PM
so, all i have to do it install light - blue/yellow wires to positive. remove stock signals off bike.
and change relay flasher so it can support leds?

sounds easy enough!

CZroe
April 8th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I just got my Sportisi undertail and I'm wondering if I should wait until I can afford to buy an integrated tail light before I install it. Because it surrounds the tail light with the same piece that goes under the tail I can see it making things difficult if I can't take it off easily. Should I wait?

Momaru
April 8th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I'd say that depends on how much of a stinker to the undertail is to install. The tabs and rear-sear support spar in the back make it pretty much impossible to pull the light 'into' the bike to remove it, so I'd expect the undertail will have to come off.

That said, I don't have an aftermarket undertail, so I might be wrong, but my :2cents:

muzkur
April 28th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks!
That DIY was so useful! My taillight was done. :thumbup:

Nayt
May 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM
You may have covered this already, sorry. But, the bikemonkey tail light has two wires yellow (h0t) and blue (negative) where exactly are these being wired to since there is only ONE pair of wires and TWO signals left and right.

Shadozknight
May 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM
those are the positive wires to the left blinker and the right blinker. the ground is run from the 1 ground wire thats connected to the brake light in the center housing. in another words, you dont need to wire anything to the negative for the blinkers, just to the positive for the left and right blinker.

muzkur
May 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Indeed.
At first looks weird but make sense.

Using the brake negative wire it don't need a resistor to blink correct I guess.

Shadozknight
May 14th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Umm, it did cause problems to the blinking so I just spliced the new wiring to the old signal lights. I hid the original blinkers under the seat. If I disconnect them, the all blinkers blink at the same time unless u re-wire under the dash. There's a post on that somewhere. I made it simple n simply hid the original blinkers under the seat n connected the wiring from the bike monkey blinkers to those stock blinker wires. Hope that helps.

sarapacman99
May 14th, 2011, 10:00 AM
anybody know where we can get this locally? i don't want to have it shipped all the way from AU and get lost/damaged. thanks!

Shadozknight
May 14th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Google it. I got mine in the u.s. There's a company that makes it here and u can get it on amazon.com as well I believe

Nayt
May 14th, 2011, 11:24 AM
those are the positive wires to the left blinker and the right blinker. the ground is run from the 1 ground wire thats connected to the brake light in the center housing. in another words, you dont need to wire anything to the negative for the blinkers, just to the positive for the left and right blinker.

GOT it makes sense thank you

muzkur
May 17th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I have a question.
My taillight have just one ground too.
I want to put front led turn signals flush mounted with resistors to fix the blink speed.
Can I install the resistors in rear turn signals using the brakelight ground?

Vampyre
May 17th, 2011, 01:05 PM
This guy has an ebay store and runs out of Florida.

http://stores.ebay.com/2wheelstore?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I haven't ordered from him, but I plan to on Friday.

Vampyre
May 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Oh crap sorry that is bikelitez

ryan_bucky
May 23rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
mine does this what the hell is rong!?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAet7BqY2I

muzkur
May 23rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Take a picture of the wires.
Maybe you plug any wrong.

Try to switch the wire into the original turn signal connector.

ryan_bucky
May 24th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Not to sure what u mean left is to left

muzkur
May 25th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I mean positive and negative.

nattygirl
May 25th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Does the brake light work as it should when the turn signals are not on? What kind of turn signals do u have in the front of the bike?

ryan_bucky
May 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM
How can u have the pos & neg mixed up as they wouldnt work on a neg as that only receives power not gives it? I tried it with the earth and noting happened!! I have front LEDs that work fine just the rear light that's crap!!

muzkur
May 25th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I had that problem too. In my case, switchin the wires works fine.
An important detail: With the 4 original turn signals the LED blink speed's faster than just the 2 front turn signals.

That tail light have a little weird circuit. lol

ryan_bucky
May 25th, 2011, 09:05 AM
What do u mean switching the wires? Do u mean the green to indicator ahold be the black and yellow to indicator or the comple harness as in the black to grey connector I used off the original indicators???

muzkur
May 25th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Yes. Something like that.
I could check how my wires are plugged and post here if you wish.

ryan_bucky
May 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Yer please!! This is doin my head in it won't pass the MOT with lights like this!!!!!!!

muzkur
May 25th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Checked.

The brake light is plug and play. No problem

To the left side, I have a blue wire in the taillight led and ablack connector with black and green wires in the bike. I plugged the blue in the green wire.

To right side I have a yellow wire in taillight and a gray connector with black and white wires. I plugged the yellow in the white wire.

My front turn signals are the originals, no changes. In tail I've used just the taillight, no other turn signals in led, original ones neither.

Here a video with my taillight in use:
http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj215/muzkur/Kawa/?action=view&current=28042011001.mp4

ryan_bucky
May 25th, 2011, 11:05 AM
What is the White wire on the right side? I have tried ever way and still no luck!

muzkur
May 25th, 2011, 11:20 AM
In my bike it's the positive to plug connector in the bike to right turn signal.
Maybe in different countries or different year models that may change.

nattygirl
May 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
As long as you have positive wire to positive wire, neg to neg, your wiring is good. I think your issue may be the fact that you have leds in your front signals as well. Have you done the diode mod? If not, you are going to need to. Check out this thread. It explains why it's necessary.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24500&highlight=diode

I have the same tail light as you, proton flushmounts in the front, and also stock turns with leds in the back. I have the diode mod, and also a electronic flasher relay to stabilize the blink rate. Everything is all good.

muzkur
May 25th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Im not using led in front yet because of that. But when I tried to use led in front, my turn signals simple didnt blink.

I wish to buy a resistor kit to fix that. I heard about some digital relay too. But that diode solution I dont know about it.

nattygirl
May 26th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Its one or the other. Either u use resistors or u do the diode mod. To me, installing the diodes were just as easy as doing the resistors, especially with the diy. Plus with resistors, they can heat up so you have to worry about where u install them. Also, u'll have to be able to calculate which size resistor is right for your setup. With the diode, there's no guess work.

CZroe
June 19th, 2011, 10:13 PM
The OP seems to forget the part where you remove the black plastic shroud that is attached over the brake light with plastic snaps and velcro.

Kawinja
August 21st, 2011, 12:20 AM
what is an OP?

Mr.E
August 21st, 2011, 01:12 AM
what is an OP?

Original post. Its the first post of a thread, in this case, the DIY.

Kawinja
August 21st, 2011, 01:17 AM
ah cool thanks for the lingo update. i'm noob to whole forum lingo!

Kawinja
August 22nd, 2011, 12:00 AM
It worked i bought my bike and it came with an integrated tail light on it already. All i had to do was purchase the relay flasher and plug it in and now my signals finally blink!!!! YAY ME!!!!! lol

CZroe
August 22nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
what is an OP?

Original post. Its the first post of a thread, in this case, the DIY.
Sometimes it also refers to the person who made the original post. It looks like he could have used it that way in the vinyl thread. ;)

ACT250R
August 24th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Issue fixed

DarkNinja52
August 26th, 2011, 12:59 AM
what was the issue?

DarkNinja52
August 28th, 2011, 01:04 AM
How is the BM different than the DMP and the TunerX factory versions?

Momaru
August 29th, 2011, 07:34 AM
How is the BM different than the DMP and the TunerX factory versions?

At a glance, I'd say none, save perhaps lower quality components and assembly. Looks like they directly ripped off the BikeMonkey design, flash pattern, wiring connections and all.

Personally, I'd go with them as I'm fairly sure it's their design and I prefer to support the people that actually did the work to develop a good product.

I might be wrong about eithr of those statements, but I can say that my BikeMonkey is still working like a champ 16,000mi (and almost three years) after install and I've gotten several compliments (no complaints) about brake light visibility.

DarkNinja52
August 29th, 2011, 09:55 PM
At a glance, I'd say none, save perhaps lower quality components and assembly. Looks like they directly ripped off the BikeMonkey design, flash pattern, wiring connections and all.

Personally, I'd go with them as I'm fairly sure it's their design and I prefer to support the people that actually did the work to develop a good product.

I might be wrong about eithr of those statements, but I can say that my BikeMonkey is still working like a champ 16,000mi (and almost three years) after install and I've gotten several compliments (no complaints) about brake light visibility.

Between having the same design, flash pattern and wiring connections, i feel it may be possible they were manufactured by the same company but the rights were sold to different vendors. If that's even something that happens

Momaru
August 30th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Between having the same design, flash pattern and wiring connections, i feel it may be possible they were manufactured by the same company but the rights were sold to different vendors. If that's even something that happens

Perhaps. I've been told something similar with several brands of protective gear, that the 'daytime' factory operations are for the major brand, and that 'night-time' operations, with the same materials, processes, etc, is for the off-brand. The difference between them is the quality control. Lots for the main-brands. Almost none for the off-brands. That's all hear-say and my somewhat unreliable memory though.

All I know is that I've bought a couple knock-off products in the past and had them wind out to be less than what I'd hoped for, in comparison to the 'genuine article.' Not saying that's the case with these other companies making the integrated tails, but ya never know till you throw down the $.

DarkNinja52
August 31st, 2011, 11:41 PM
Well i threw down the the $ for dmp fender elim and dmp tail light. look just like the b2 industriesfender elim and the Bike monkey tail light.. we'll see

natek
September 2nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
Well i threw down the the $ for dmp fender elim and dmp tail light. look just like the b2 industriesfender elim and the Bike monkey tail light.. we'll see

pics when done please

DarkNinja52
September 2nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
pics when done please

I'll keep you updated over here
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83900

Also I might put some pics in the BM thread as the install might be EXACTLY the same. Including diode and Flasher relay install

Sqwacka
January 25th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Hey! I recently bought the Bike Monkey intergrated tail light for my bike. Just wondering if you need to buy the aftermarket LED flasher?? The indicators in the tail light are lit up but not flashing..

Cheers

Shadozknight
January 25th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Hey! I recently bought the Bike Monkey intergrated tail light for my bike. Just wondering if you need to buy the aftermarket LED flasher?? The indicators in the tail light are lit up but not flashing..

Cheers
Yes u do have to buy a led flasher. Get 1 at kragen, pep boys or autozone

jack_bm
January 30th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Do you really have to remove all of the rear fairings and seat?

massacremasses
January 30th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Do you really have to remove all of the rear fairings and seat?

to swap out taillight?

yep.

Its not that hard. PROMISE! lol

jack_bm
January 30th, 2012, 08:43 AM
to swap out taillight?

yep.

Its not that hard. PROMISE! lol

ahh its cool i done it when i done the targa fender eliminator, was just wondering and hoping didnt need to to save time as i dont have a garage and have to do it in the street :(

massacremasses
January 30th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I mean I guess you could try to rip it out but installing the new one may prove difficult if its not apart.

jack_bm
January 30th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I mean I guess you could try to rip it out but installing the new one may prove difficult if its not apart.

Yeah i recon it would turn out being to fiddly i will just take the fairing off my only problem is remembering what bolts go were :P i'll be fine it will be fun :)

raha_ang
March 5th, 2013, 03:26 PM
LOVE this thread, answered alot of my questions!

A few quick questions:

- The bike monkey instructions advise me to cut the original fender. Is this necessary if im installing the fender eliminator?

- Has anyone got pics of the bike monkey fender eliminator + LED brake light installed BUT still using the stock turn signals? Im not 100% about using the led indicators.

Thanks fellas!