View Full Version : Where to buy gear?

Graphic Twist
June 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Due to where I live and my current lack of transportation, I have some severely limited access to places that sell a decent selection of riding gear.

As a result I do a lot of research online and buy gear off the web. But most of the online stores seem to be based in the US. Since I live in Canada this means I get slapped with the exchange rate and important fees and taxes etc... which usually adds 25% - 50% to the price of the gear.

So is anyone aware of a online gear store based in Canada that has a selection like www.ridersdiscount.com or www.sportbiketrackgear.com? Bonus points if they sell the Scorpion EXO jackets...

Thanks, any help is really appreciated.

kkim
June 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Due to where I live and my current lack of transportation, I have some severely limited access to places that sell a decent selection of riding gear.

As a result I do a lot of research online and buy gear off the web. But most of the online stores seem to be based in the US. Since I live in Canada this means I get slapped with the exchange rate and important fees and taxes etc... which usually adds 25% - 50% to the price of the gear.

So is anyone aware of a online gear store based in Canada that has a selection like www.ridersdiscount.com or www.sportbiketrackgear.com? Bonus points if they sell the Scorpion EXO jackets...

Thanks, any help is really appreciated.

www.newenough.com

:D

IlBLisSlI
June 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM
www.newenough.com

:iamwithstupid:

kkim
June 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
:iamwithstupid:

Hey!!!! I resemble that remark!!!
:crazyloco:

tinng321
June 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I think KKim is newenough's co-owner or he has shares of the company

kkim
June 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I think KKim is newenough's co-owner or he has shares of the company

have you ever bought anything from them?

Graphic Twist
June 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
www.newenough.com

Seems they're based in Texas... last I checked Texas wasn't a part of Canada :p

kkim
June 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
you need to get creative. have someone in the US buy the stuff for you and then have them mail it to you as gifts. :)

With George Bush living in Texas, I wouldn't it in my country either. :(

Graphic Twist
June 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Haha, if I knew someone in the states (or anywhere) willing to spend hundreds of dollars on gifts for me, I assure you, I would take advantage of that. Sadly this is not the case... unless you're offering? :D

IlBLisSlI
June 9th, 2009, 02:13 PM
doh i didn't see that you needed the retailer to be in canada.
sorry dude. they don't really exist. last i heard the only things you could buy up there were maple syrup, hockey jerseys/sticks/pucks, training manuals on how to be a Mountie, and beaver-skin hats. looks like you are out of luck.

kkim
June 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Haha, if I knew someone in the states (or anywhere) willing to spend hundreds of dollars on gifts for me, I assure you, I would take advantage of that. Sadly this is not the case... unless you're offering? :D

I would, but shipping from Hawaii to Canada would eat up all your savings. I do mean you would pay them back for the favor they would be doing for you. You'd be surprised what some on this forum will do for other members.

Have you tried calling Newenough to see about the duties that would be levied on your purchases? Talk to them... great customer service there and if they can be of help in any way, they're willing to work with you.

tinng321
June 9th, 2009, 02:23 PM
have you ever bought anything from them?

bought my gloves from them.
very good customer service.

Graphic Twist
June 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
sorry dude. they don't really exist. last i heard the only things you could buy up there were maple syrup, hockey jerseys/sticks/pucks, training manuals on how to be a Mountie, and beaver-skin hats. looks like you are out of luck.

Did you know the Mountie manual has a section on how to stuff beaver pelts with hockey pucks to make a weapon for beating people spewing stereotypes? :)

IlBLisSlI
June 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Did you know the Mountie manual has a section on how to stuff beaver pelts with hockey pucks to make a weapon for beating people spewing stereotypes? :)

nonsense, beating people with beaver pelts sounds very un-Mountie like, as it is not polite!

CC Cowboy
I love pucking beaver.

kkim
I love pucking beaver.

:lol:

Graphic Twist
June 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
nonsense, beating people with beaver pelts sounds very un-Mountie like, as it is not polite!

Ask Robert Dziekanski how polite the RCMP officers are... oh wait...
low blow?

lockie
June 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Matt.......

I'm not sure many folks in the US would know about Mr. Dziekanski unless the have Polish connections. We could threaten them with our Canada geese here. I seems the geese that brought down that passenger jet in the Hudson river back a few months ago were from Labrador and we grow them big up here.

Seriously, I needed some gear and struggled to find a canadian online store. After looking around several sites I found only 1 in Canada, based in BC so I took a chance and finally decided to order from Newenough. I liked their prices and their website and had quick email responses from them in finding a helmet size. I got a good price. A CL-15 helmet in my size (XXXL) for 90 USD. And a textile jacket for 200USD. Shipping was 35USD. It came to me in the mail with a bill for the GST and a 5CAD fee for handling. There were no duties or other broker fees.

Perhaps not the best deal in the world but I was happy when all is said and done.

Take Care

Graphic Twist
June 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Matt.......

I'm not sure many folks in the US would know about Mr. Dziekanski unless the have Polish connections. We could threaten them with our Canada geese here. I seems the geese that brought down that passenger jet in the Hudson river back a few months ago were from Labrador and we grow them big up here.

Seriously, I needed some gear and struggled to find a canadian online store. After looking around several sites I found only 1 in Canada, based in BC so I took a chance and finally decided to order from Newenough. I liked their prices and their website and had quick email responses from them in finding a helmet size. I got a good price. A CL-15 helmet in my size (XXXL) for 90 USD. And a textile jacket for 200USD. Shipping was 35USD. It came to me in the mail with a bill for the GST and a 5CAD fee for handling. There were no duties or other broker fees.

Perhaps not the best deal in the world but I was happy when all is said and done.

Take Care

I figured they wouldn't get the reference. But a quick google search would fill them in. Gotta make them work for it :)

Anyways, thanks for the info you provided. I figured that might be the case. Though I'm a little surprised there isn't something based in the Golden Horseshoe... Seems like the sort of place that would support the service...

lockie
June 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I'll look some more. There were some CDN store listed in a CDN biker magazine I saw at the Halifax airport last week.

BlueRaven
June 9th, 2009, 06:43 PM
You can try www.baysideperfomance.ca based in bc. The exchange rate is about 10% right now. I bought mine at motorcycle superstore. Was still a good deal despite the shipping and the canadian exchange rate which was almost 20% in April. I'm in New Brunswick. :welcome: :canada:

miks
June 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hey!!!! I resemble that remark!!!
:crazyloco:

Would "I'm with the old guy" be better sir? :p

CC Cowboy
June 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Matt, sounds like a business opportunity.

OldGuy
June 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Would "I'm with the old guy" be better sir? :p

Hey - watch how you through that term "old guy" around. :rolleyes:

OldGuy
June 10th, 2009, 08:59 PM

I thought the pelts would be frozen solid most of the time and wouldn't need any hockey pucks to make suitable weapons.

ninjabrewer
June 10th, 2009, 09:27 PM
This thread is hilarious.

nb

demp
June 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM

LOL, maple syrup

addy126
June 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I use newenough.com or motorcyclesuperstore.com I'm sure customs may play a part in the "additional duties" u may have to pay.. but they are great sites for me. Both have good pricing, return policies and shipping.:thumbup:

Kurosaki
June 13th, 2009, 09:26 AM
also try www.parts411.com

I bought a lot of my stuff from there.

Very competitive prices.

Kurosaki
June 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM
wait. I dunno how parts411 does with canada shipping.

But give them a look anyway...