View Full Version : Lowered 250

vexuno
February 16th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Planning on checking out a 250 today that's been lowered to accommodate the owners height. I've heard some mixed opinions about this, but am looking for the facts on the topic. Is it good/bad/safe/unsafe? Thanks guys!

snot
February 16th, 2015, 04:12 PM
I took my lowered 300 to the track with no issues. I lowered my 250 when I bought it too, no problems.

choneofakind
February 16th, 2015, 04:21 PM
As long as both ends are lowered the same amount, it will feel the same as stock. Just remember you can only go an inch or so before you start getting clearance issues between the wheels and body parts under suspension compression.

I, for one, would never lower a sport bike. But that's just my opinion. In fact, I raised mine! :p

csmith12
February 16th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Planning on checking out a 250 today that's been lowered to accommodate the owners height. I've heard some mixed opinions about this, but am looking for the facts on the topic. Is it good/bad/safe/unsafe? Thanks guys!

Fact: It don't matter how much ground clearance you have if you never need it and it causes tip overs/downs because the rider can't control it with good footing. Lower it as much as you need in a balanced way (front and rear), keep an eye on it and raise it up as skills increase to match lean angle/clearance needed.

Pretty simple... Some say one can learn to stop and only put one foot down, while this is true for most, it's not always true for all.

Hero Danny
February 16th, 2015, 05:16 PM
When I talked to my dealer about lowering a bike (not my 300) he said it affects the handling and he wouldn't recommend it. However I told him that it was only be for street not so much at the track (if at all) and he said then it would be fine.

Personally, I would feel much better about my bike knowing I can flat foot it. I sat on 2 600rr's and one was lowered the other wasn't and I felt MUCH more comfortable on the lowered one.

csmith12
February 16th, 2015, 05:30 PM
When I talked to my dealer about lowering a bike (not my 300) he said it affects the handling and he wouldn't recommend it. However I told him that it was only be for street not so much at the track (if at all) and he said then it would be fine.

That is because many just toss some lowering links and call it day. :rolleyes: Then wonder why it turns funny.

choneofakind
February 16th, 2015, 05:36 PM
^^^ werd. People are too lazy/cheap to lower the front to match the rear. :lol:

thisisbenji
February 16th, 2015, 05:48 PM
While I understand some folks may need to lower the bikes, I don't understand the whole flat foot thing. I'v never rode a single bike where I could touch both foot to the ground let enough flat. Usually I just scoot my butt off to one side of the bike and put a single foot down. This has worked for me since I was little riding 50cc dirt bikes. At 5'5" I don't even have problems riding supermotos at stock height.... but I guess everyone is different, eh?

Hero Danny
February 16th, 2015, 06:34 PM
It's really a preference thing. Being able to flatfoot gives you a sense of stability. You can just sit on your bike and use your phone or relax, etc.

sparky80
February 16th, 2015, 06:42 PM
^^^ werd. People are too lazy/cheap to lower the front to match the rear. :lol:

I don't get this comment. It doesn't cost anything to lower the front, correct? Just slide the forks up the triples I thought.

There are a few advantages of being tall, I suppose. A 34" inseam is great... even them tall dirt bikes aren't a problem here.

snot
February 16th, 2015, 06:51 PM
I don't get this comment. It doesn't cost anything to lower the front, correct? Just slide the forks up the triples I thought.

There are a few advantages of being tall, I suppose. A 34" inseam is great... even them tall dirt bikes aren't a problem here.

On the 250/300 you need riser blocks.

snot
February 16th, 2015, 06:56 PM
The bike can be raised back to stock with little effort.

If the bike has the roaring toyz kit on it, it will have the links, risers and shorter kick stand.

sparky80
February 16th, 2015, 07:04 PM
On the 250/300 you need riser blocks.

Ahh.... provided you're using the stock bars. I put clip-ons and didn't take into account the stock bar configuration. As I was

snot
February 16th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Ahh.... provided you're using the stock bars. I put clip-ons and didn't take into account the stock bar configuration. As I was

I never thought about using clip ons instead either...lol

Ducati999
February 17th, 2015, 03:14 AM
I t
lowered both ends of the 250 for my wife. We did 1" risers in the front and lowering links plus a GSXR600 shock in the rear. The links dropped the rear an inch then the shock went 15mm further. We did not have trouble with the rear tire hitting the undertail as long as the tire is over half way back on the adjusters. I changed the gearing which allowed me to push the tire back and extend the wheelbase (not out side of stock adjustment). I have only touched the exhaust down once when trying to see how far it could be leaned over in a parking lot. With the bike lowered the weight is lower and you do not need to lean as much to make the same turn. I have not tried pushing this bike as hard as is possible since it is a Street only bike for now. Obviously the bike now has reduced lean angle but so far no problems with turning/leaning on the street at sane levels. Since lowering the bike we have found that you can really get on the front brakes without the rear lifting. My wife has been much more comfortable being able to put both feet flat on the ground when she stop, she was really worried since she is not strong enough to stop the bike from falling once it gets a little too far past center. Having both feet down helps her have the leverage and confidence to keep the bike upright even on off camber hill stops. The best part is everything is easily reversed as she gets more confident in her ability and her skill with the bike rises. I will be slowly raising it back up this season so she can do her first trip to the track.

Finesse
February 17th, 2015, 05:07 PM
sorry for repeating anything but I haven't read the other posts lol

just keep in mind that in order to lower the front suspension on a ninja 250 you usually have to mess with the internals of the fork because you cannot simply slide the forks up through the triple tree. make sure you know whether that has been done or not. some people say 'lowered' when they only lowered one half of the bike, or only the seat. stock links for the rear are super cheap and it's not terrible difficult to raise it back to stock height in the rear if you have stands and a flatjack.

csmith12
February 17th, 2015, 05:42 PM
While I understand some folks may need to lower the bikes, I don't understand the whole flat foot thing. I'v never rode a single bike where I could touch both foot to the ground let enough flat. Usually I just scoot my butt off to one side of the bike and put a single foot down. This has worked for me since I was little riding 50cc dirt bikes. At 5'5" I don't even have problems riding supermotos at stock height.... but I guess everyone is different, eh?

I feel where you are coming from but... I will call myself an above novice level rider and there are times I wish I could flat foot my r6. Not always, but sometimes it would be nice. Since the bike sees a lot of track time with pretty good lean angles, I have found a happy balance between ride height and my footing. That may change in the future, we will see....

choneofakind
February 17th, 2015, 06:08 PM
sorry for repeating anything but I haven't read the other posts lol

just keep in mind that in order to lower the front suspension on a ninja 250 you usually have to mess with the internals of the fork because you cannot simply slide the forks up through the triple tree. make sure you know whether that has been done or not. some people say 'lowered' when they only lowered one half of the bike, or only the seat. stock links for the rear are super cheap and it's not terrible difficult to raise it back to stock height in the rear if you have stands and a flatjack.

You're over thinking it. Just get riser blocks if you want to keep the stock bars or get clipons if you don't. :)

choneofakind
February 17th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Wait, Chris.... You can't flat foot the Rsizzle?!?! I can! HahAhaha that makes it so much better. The man can't even touch the ground, yet he makes me look like a fool on the brakes. :o

Finesse
February 17th, 2015, 06:10 PM
I thought he was talking about a bike that's already been lowered. just wanted to give a heads up that if it has a stock front end bars and all, it might have cut spacers in the fork and would be more difficult to swap back to stock height if he wanted to

csmith12
February 17th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Wait, Chris.... You can't flat foot the Rsizzle?!?!

Nope, just the ball of the foot on both sides on a stock height bike. Yet it want to lower the front... not the rear. :p

sparky80
February 17th, 2015, 06:57 PM
wow, such pain of not being able to flatfoot and R6... and kinda funny at the same time. I had no problem flatfooting a WR450.
Don't feel bad... them Spanish punks can't flatfoot their bikes and the Honda babies can't even pickup their sub 300 pound bikes if they tip them over.

csmith12
February 17th, 2015, 07:06 PM
wow, such pain of not being able to flatfoot and R6... and kinda funny at the same time.

ikr.... hgahahahahha

http://cdn.meme.am/images/300x/2055789.jpg

matttyo
February 17th, 2015, 08:15 PM
wow, such pain of not being able to flatfoot and R6... and kinda funny at the same time. I had no problem flatfooting a WR450.
Don't feel bad... them Spanish punks can't flatfoot their bikes and the Honda babies can't even pickup their sub 300 pound bikes if they tip them over.

My legs are long enough that I can almost flat foot my KLR 650, so just about any other street bike is not a problem!

verboten1
February 17th, 2015, 09:16 PM
My ninja is lowered in the front, because it's fun.

And I had clipons, then went to stock style bars, now back to woodcrafts.

Either way, it's pretty easy to undo lowering.

My KLR is lifted, with bigger rear tire, with a seat concepts regular seat. I can barely touch down and I love it

Finesse
February 17th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I'm 5'5 and this is what my toe looks like on a DRZ400.

verboten1
February 17th, 2015, 09:43 PM
I'm 5'5 and this is what my toe looks like on a DRZ400.

Hah, I look like that on my KLR sometimes! Good form!!

vexuno
February 17th, 2015, 10:32 PM
LMFAO @ finesse! Hey, who knew you could ride and ballet all at the same time! LOL

So, what i gather is it's not necessarily a negative thing as long as its done right, and if necessary, can be easily reversed?

In my case I don't need it as I can reach the floor just fine. My wife on the other hand is looking to learn as well, and she is 5'3."

For now I think I would follow the advice of having her learn on a non-lowered bike. In the future, when she has her own bike, we can re-assess things.

Thanks so much for the insights guys!