View Full Version : Server is too busy at the moment......

Snake
June 10th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Alex, now I know this place is growing. That is the first time I got that mesage. A testament to the popularity of this place.

noche_caliente
June 10th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I got it for quite a while the other night while trying to PM folks about the group buy - it was rather annoying!

Snake
June 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
It kinda anoying at the time but it only lasted a few minutes.

Alex
June 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM
As much as I'd like to attribute it to our popularity, that's not a direct cause of it. Our traffic is pretty miniscule in the scheme of things. This site is still using a shared server, which means there are many other websites hosted on the same machine. It's got plenty of capacity, and under almost all conditions things work great. But every once in awhile the traffic will spike like crazy on one of those websites, or perhaps an application will just take up a tremendous amount of resources for a short while, and the response time for everybody hosted on that server, including ninjette.org, takes a hit.

I added that "server busy" message a few weeks ago so when the server utilization climbs over a certain level, it will pop up that message to let you know something is up. I can remove it, but the problem is at that time the site will be extremely slow to respond if it responds at all anyway. If you go to post something it's likely to either not post, or to doublepost, etc.

At some point it becomes cost effective to move us off to our own server, but the costs go up (between 5fold and 10fold), so it's not likely to happen in the very near future. At 1000 users total, 300ish per day, 50-100 online at a time, our current setup is working pretty well. At 5 times that volume, it will likely be time to start thinking about some upgrades...

Alex
June 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM
/moving to forum info

Snake
June 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
No prob. I am very pleased with the way it is now.

BlueRaven
June 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Maybe snake needs a new hobby ;)

Snake
June 11th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Yea I need to get out more.