View Full Version : Training after the MSF BRC/ERC ???

g21-30
June 12th, 2009, 04:58 AM
As many of you already know, the MSF Basic Rider Course (BRC) does NOT prepare you for riding on the streets and highways. Before anyone takes exception with the previous sentence, that is a direct quote from one of my MSF instructors, made during my class. Boy, was that a let down for me. I was hoping to come out of the class knowing everything there is to know about riding a motorcycle; however, as I have learned, the best instructors in the world can't convey that much information in roughly 16 hours of class and range instruction. What are we to do? Practice the basics learned in the BRC? Read books, articles, etc.? Take the MSF Experienced Rider Course (ERC)? ........ Track days?

From what I understand, the ERC is mostly a refresher of the advanced Range exercises learned in the later part of the BRC. Those of you who have taken the ERC are welcome to expand on this based upon your experiences. As I understand, the prerequisites are you should have 1000-3000 miles of riding experience and you must use your own bike.

Track days!!!!!! I understand from reading threads from Beast, Broom, Kurosaki, Alex, Richard, et al, that this is valuable training/experience, but for me that seems like a BIG JUMP from MSF/BRC/ERC to the track! I don't like the idea of having to drill/wire the bolts/caps, etc. and tape/remove lights on the bike. Sure, RaceBikeRentals (RBR) is an excellent way of avoiding this, but RBR is located in California and I am in Virginia.

We have all seen the threads on Bike Racing schools, but this is a long way from the MSF classes. So what are we to do?

Of course, I have found an alternative:

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/

Classes are only $295 for one day and they are available nationwide.

w9WzYQb-zM4

smcbride11
June 12th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Track days!!!!!! I understand from reading threads from Beast, Broom, Kurosaki, Alex, Richard, et al, that this is valuable training/experience, but for me that seems like a BIG JUMP from MSF/BRC/ERC to the track! I don't like the idea of having to drill/wire the bolts/caps, etc. and tape/remove lights on the bike. Sure, RaceBikeRentals (RBR) is an excellent way of avoiding this, but RBR is located in California and I am in Virginia.

As a beginner you'll be in the red group (and you probably will stay there on the 250 unless your particular organization has a middle class they let 250s into), and typically the red group doesn't have to do any of the special stuff - you'll need to tape your mirrors and headlight, but that's probably it.

I'm working on saving up for race leathers now to try to hit a track day later this summer... I think that while the ERC's useful, a track day will be a whole lot more learning for equivalent money.

Broom
June 12th, 2009, 11:18 AM
the MSF isn't going to turn you into a seasoned rider. what it will do is advance you're experience level. you'll probably gain about a years worth of riding experience in one weekend instead of cruising around trying to figure it out on your own.... especially if you've never been on a bike before or have little experience.

as for the track, you won't have a lot of bike prep and you don't have to be fast or even very experienced to get out on the track. you'll be in a group of similar riders and they usually have strict rules on what everyone in the group can and can't do to ensure safety and fun for everyone in that group (not passing in the turns for instance). the only bike prep you'll probably need to do is tape your lights with painters tape (unpluging your headlight is a good idea... easy), and remove your mirrors. both should take you 20 minutes or so.

aside from that, ride within your limits, know your limits and comfort zone, look where you want to go, and ride like you're invisible or like everyone on the road is actually trying to hit you. learn everyday and have fun.