View Full Version : 1988 KLR250 - Should I get it?

BlackNinja8
March 5th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Got a lead on an '88 KLR250 in pretty rough shape. Needs some cosmetics but more importantly it is non-running. Seller assures me that there is compression but he has tried carb cleaning, plugs, new petcock, and can still only get it to run on starter fluid. And it runs poorly at that.

Certainly some issues which I believe I can get straight. I do all the work on my bikes but have never had to mess with and engine.

Looking for opinions on whether the bike, once running is worth the trouble. Its a throw away price so I'm not worried about the purchase price, I'm more worried about whether the finished product will be worth all of the work.

alex.s
March 5th, 2015, 10:28 PM
worst case, put a new engine in. is it still worth it to you? is this actually a bike you want to ride?

Snake
March 5th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Sounds like it would be a great project bike that you will enjoy riding and even make a profit if you decide to flip it.

BlackNinja8
March 5th, 2015, 10:48 PM
In the end I'm hoping to have a cheap bike that I can take on some fire roads, maybe do a dual sport event or two a year, and thrash around. I don't want to spend an enormous amount of time keeping it running once I get it fixed up and I don't want to spend too much money down the line.

Good point Alex.S I should look into replacement engine prices just to get a worst case scenario. I guess in the end if I can clean it up, paint the plastics and sell it for what I paid, I've lost nothing. Think I'm gonna go for it. I'll post up if I can pick it up.

verboten1
March 6th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Sounds like it's worth a few hundred dollars. I would buy it if I could get it for a decent price. But I've also been casually looking for a klr250 for my kid

BlackNinja8
March 6th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Sounds like it's worth a few hundred dollars. I would buy it if I could get it for a decent price. But I've also been casually looking for a klr250 for my kid

Went to see the bike and it was a major disappointment. Everything had been stripped off the bike - gauges, signals, plastics, wiring - and what remained was in junkyard condition. Even the damn kickstand was bent to hell (the bike fell over in the driveway as I was looking at it.

Seller had the bike only 2 weeks before giving up himself and worse yet, the title appears to have changed hands several times without an official DMV transaction. I would have officially been buying the bike from someone who signed to transfer it back in 2001. NY DMV would've been passing my paperwork around behind the counter and taking turns laughing at me when I went to register it.

He listed it at $500 and I walked without even making an offer. The only value I felt remotely comfortable was there was the wheels. The rest was probably scrap...

verboten1
March 6th, 2015, 05:50 PM
That's no fun. I never understand tearing a bike down to fx it, then leaving it in pieces.

The title thing would have put me off as well.

Hero Danny
March 6th, 2015, 05:53 PM
"Throw away price"? How much is that? Like $100? I mean for $100 it's worth it just to wrench around on it I guess.