View Full Version : New Ohlins offering for 300 & 250

subxero
March 6th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Hadn't seen this before, it's probably been around either way
model number is

S36HR1C1L

2 websites that offer it (pictures are not accurate)
http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/ohlins-kawasaki-ninja-300-13-14-s36hr1c1l-shock/
http://www.solomotoparts.com/Ohlins-S36HR1C1L-Shock-Absorber-for-Ninja-250R-09-11/

Seems pretty legit, looks like comp adj, & rebound along with preload and all for $900 that isn't too crazy
this is probably what it looks like
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/CrEAAMXQQQhReABe/$T2eC16V,!)!E9s2fB+2)BRe!Bepfrg~~60_35.JPG

csmith12
March 6th, 2015, 03:56 PM
For 9 big faces, I will have to pass. :(

alex.s
March 6th, 2015, 04:31 PM
attention racers with too much money!

subxero
March 6th, 2015, 05:26 PM
bling bling

Ghostt
March 7th, 2015, 07:47 PM
That way more than I paid for my whole bike, I'll keep the ZX600C shock, it suits my needs.

Swann
March 8th, 2015, 04:13 AM
It's been around for a while, at least 2 years.

The "newest" shock Ohlins has for a 250 is the TTX. That is expensive.

InvisiBill
March 8th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Keep in mind that these "professional" shocks are usually modular and rebuildable. You can often find used ones for half the price of new, and a little bit more to refresh/tweak them will get you a very nice shock at a decent price.

I still need to get my Penske installed, but I'm expecting to notice less from it than from my <$150 budget spring upgrade (RaceTechs in the forks and NewGen shock/spring in the rear) over the stock parts. Just getting springs that actually match your weight is a huge improvement, more so the further off your weight is from the stockers.

Swann
March 8th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Invisibill, Is there another "swann" on the forums?

JohnnyBravo
March 8th, 2015, 10:32 PM
Invisibill, Is there another "swann" on the forums?

He got you with the [ you ] tag :rotflmao:

Swann
March 9th, 2015, 12:59 AM
DOH!

JohnnyBravo
March 9th, 2015, 01:41 AM
DOH!

Catches everyone sooner or later

sharky nrk
March 9th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Keep in mind that these "professional" shocks are usually modular and rebuildable. You can often find used ones for half the price of new, and a little bit more to refresh/tweak them will get you a very nice shock at a decent price.

I still need to get my Penske installed, but I'm expecting to notice less from it than from my <$150 budget spring upgrade (RaceTechs in the forks and NewGen shock/spring in the rear) over the stock parts. Just getting springs that actually match your weight is a huge improvement, more so the further off your weight is from the stockers.

The ninjette seems to be a bikes that is kinda difficult to find a really good aftermarket shock setup for it specifically for a decent price. You can pretty much have your pick of $500-$750 used top shelf shocks for an R6 or GSXR.

Sirref
March 9th, 2015, 08:16 AM
for the performance difference between a gsxr shock and this is just not worth the $$$

250 racing is all about the budget

sharky nrk
March 9th, 2015, 08:36 AM
for the performance difference between a gsxr shock and this is just not worth the $$$

I tend to agree with this most the time, but it could also be my lack of time on really nice suspension.

Sirref
March 9th, 2015, 08:47 AM
I tend to agree with this most the time, but it could also be my lack of time on really nice suspension.

that could be the case for me as well, I'm not looking forward to running super sticky tires on my gsxr because it'll be so difficult for me to go back to much less expensive tires that have significantly less grip afterwards (for track riding, since edge grip won't make a difference on street to me)

I'm sure that it's better, just not that it's enough better to justify the cost

csmith12
March 9th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I'm not looking forward to running super sticky tires on my gsxr because it'll be so difficult for me to go back to much less expensive tires that have significantly less grip afterwards

This won't be the big deal you think it is. The first few good days, you will fight the bike as it has less traction but after that you will come to an agreement between you and the tires. You will feel it yes, but be a better rider at the same time. Just listen closely to the what the bike is telling you and adjust. Just don't go all rossi on lesser equipment until your in agreement of what traction is available.

crazymadbastard
March 9th, 2015, 01:07 PM
DOH!

lolz :grouphug:

pratik06
March 11th, 2015, 01:17 AM
The is a cheaper option; the Ohlins S36DR1. Admitted that it does not have all the bells and whistles that the S36HR and TTX, but it is still a far superior shock than the stock shock. Made by Ohlins Asia, the shock is for the Asian Market only, however, there are plenty of shops in Thailand which would be willing to ship it anywhere in the world. Cost in Thailand is around US$ 350/- making it exceptional value.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7413/16386573032_b94f10f619_z.jpg

http://www.ohlinsasia.com/product/pro_detail.php?cid=9&cid_pr=9&pid=49&cname=KAWASAKI&show=0

Somchai
March 11th, 2015, 02:13 AM
Maybe here's another alternative
Z-366 TR - Gas Mono Shock Absorber
Price: (TR) $359.00 (TRL) $389.00
Available Lengths: 240 mm, 250 mm, 260 mm, 270 mm, 280 mm, 290 mm, 300 mm, 310 mm, 320 mm, 330 mm, 340 mm, 350 mm, 360 mm, 370 mm, 380 mm, 390 mm or longer
Type: Self Adjusting Gas Emulsion Shock
Features: Pre-Load Adjustment, Rebound Adjustment 60 Clicks - 36 mm 50 Micron Steel Bore and Radial Sinter Piston - 16 mm Hardened Shaft - Low Friction, Long Life Seal Block - Bearing and Bushes to suit each Model - Dampening and Springrates Model specific - (Optional: Ride Height Adjuster (Length Adjuster +10 mm)
Application: RACING ON and OFFROAD - for SOLO, SIDECARS, QUADS, CARS, STREET BIKES
Link: http://yssusa.com/series-z.html
For those who want a reservoir please look at the "X-Series", what means it is the same shock, just with reservoir.
By the way, the spring rate for those two shocks with 80 N/mm is what the most here are looking for, not to forget the L-Types are lenght-adjustable.

kalleh
March 11th, 2015, 11:06 AM

I have this shock on my 300. I've only have 3 sessions on the bike so far but my front cartridges and this shock completely transformed how the 300 turns. I looked at the cost of rebuilding a GSXR shock versus the Ohlins, and then I found a good deal on the Ohlins and there really wasn't much difference. Still, would I have achieved the same results with a rebuilt GSXR shock? Maybe, I don't know, I didn't want to chance spending 70% and then still being annoyed at something or not having the adjustability.

Even though I'm slow as a dog I really enjoy riding a well setup bike that doesn't have any bad behaviors, 300 or not.

subxero
March 11th, 2015, 11:13 AM
^ brings up good points. Sure you can do the whole gsxr swap for say $60 ??
but now you have an over sprung shock that is not valved correctly and has a slight geometry change with the linkage.

new spring $100
new valves $150? IDK? maybe more
Now you are looking at over $310

Still a load cheaper than $900 for the ohlins I linked im sure it could be had cheaper through the right dealer or even used.

brings the price point a little more into perspective plus resale value of the ohlins if it comes to it.

Would be hard pressed to sell odd ball gsxr shock that you dumped cash into drilled out, grinded ect... for much of anything

kalleh
March 11th, 2015, 11:24 AM
^ brings up good points. Sure you can do the whole gsxr swap for say $60 ??
but now you have an over sprung shock that is not valved correctly and has a slight geometry change with the linkage.

new spring $100
new valves $150? IDK? maybe more
Now you are looking at over $310

Still a load cheaper than $900 for the ohlins I linked im sure it could be had cheaper through the right dealer or even used.

brings the price point a little more into perspective plus resale value of the ohlins if it comes to it.

Would be hard pressed to sell odd ball gsxr shock that you dumped cash into drilled out, grinded ect... for much of anything

Looks about right, also added to the above for me: I didn't have the time (or some might argue, the know-how) to figure out how to do the rebuild myself. That's another $200-$300.

rollo19
March 11th, 2015, 11:39 AM
attention racers with too much money!

:clapping::D

rc racer
March 11th, 2015, 12:23 PM
I guess I have too much money then. That's the remote reservoir Ohlins I've been running for the last 2.5 seasons. Just had it rebuilt and resprung during the winter too.

Works well, and easy to adjust compression, rebound, pre-load and total length.

You think that's bad you should see all the racers in my club that do a penski, ohlins or JRI shock along with $1300 cartridge internals in their forks!

kalleh
March 11th, 2015, 12:40 PM
:whistle: $1300 cartridge internals in their forks!

:whistle:

Swann
March 11th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately, Ohlins Asia, doesn't respring their shocks for heavier or lighter riders.

I bought a couple already. One for a 250 and the other for a 650.

Somchai, what is the word on reliability of the YSS shocks?

pratik06
March 11th, 2015, 11:32 PM
Unfortunately, Ohlins Asia, doesn't respring their shocks for heavier or lighter riders.

I bought a couple already. One for a 250 and the other for a 650.

Somchai, what is the word on reliability of the YSS shocks?

The respring and maintenance part is to be done by the authorised dealer. I got mine made to suit my weight. This information is there on their website too.

Somchai
March 12th, 2015, 02:51 AM
Swann, up to now I'm satisfied with the one I got, only mistake I've made, since the communication was not so easy here, I'd order it with a 85 N/mm spring because the lady from the sales couldn't tell me the spring rate.
I think the 80 N/mm spring would have suited me better.
I'd read many comments in different forums about many riders like them.
On the other side some guys said that they've been leaking, but that should have been around 3-4 years ago, so maybe the reliability is ok by now.

Swann
March 12th, 2015, 03:36 AM
Praktik06,

Who's your dealer? Mine said they can't.

sharky nrk
March 13th, 2015, 08:11 AM
You think that's bad you should see all the racers in my club that do a penski, ohlins or JRI shock along with $1300 cartridge internals in their forks!

I really need to talk Mitch into giving me some seat time on his Penske Triple equipped bike lol :( ;)

howlinhoss
April 14th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Is there anyway to tuck the reservoir under the tail. If you go down that nice reservoir will get chewed up.