View Full Version : 24 Hours of LeMans

CC Cowboy
June 12th, 2009, 07:30 PM
The race is this weekend (MotoGP is too). There is a good show on Speed right now about the race. I've been to the 24 at Daytona many times but I'd love to do the LeMans race sometime.

smcbride11
June 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM
There was an intriguing article on the 1964 race in the May issue of Playboy too, when the first Fords went over there and it ended up being Shelby who was the placing American car.

See... I really do read the articles! :p

CC Cowboy
June 13th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Steve, you've been looking at the pictures ( I mean reading the articles) in Playboy since at least May 1964. More power to you bud, I wouldn't want to arm wrestle you.

smcbride11
June 13th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Forearms of steel, CC. Forearms of steel.

Nah, it was actually in the May '09 issue - but about the '64 race. 1964 was a little before my time ;)

HKr1
June 13th, 2009, 01:04 PM
^ The deadlest car race...... :)

CC Cowboy
June 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I wonder how they got me mum to pose for the cover?

g21-30
June 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I wonder how they got me mum to pose for the cover?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D

CC Cowboy
June 14th, 2009, 05:52 AM
10 minutes to go in the 24 hour race. Great race and thank God for speedtv. I remember when you had to wait days, sometimes weeks or the following month in the magazines, to find out about races (motorcycle and auto).

Did you guys know the French make a car, Poojoe? It's not half bad.

The Audi commercial is the greatest car commercial I've seen in a long time.

adouglas
June 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM
+1 on the Audi commercial. It's "meh" up until the very end. Then I barked with laughter.

Did you find out what happened to that Peugeot driver who went off and totally destroyed his car just after 10 pm Eastern time?

They'd JUST gone away from the broadcast and switched to the streaming Web feed. It took me a couple of minutes to call it up, and the first thing I saw was a bunch of marshals holding sheets up around the car to keep spectators from seeing what was going on.

Since it was just the raw world feed, there was no replay video, so I never got to see what happened.

I did hear a bit later that the driver was awake and alert (good) and that the car was utterly destroyed (didn't see it, but that can't be good).

CC Cowboy
June 14th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Driver OK. I seemed a 250 Ninja had pulled out in front of him and crashed. The guy ran off the track avoiding the 250. Last communication they heard from him was, "crashin sux". They held up white sheets around him because, well they are in France and they thought he surrendered". He went to the hospital because in the drivers meeting they were told about hot French nurses. The last crash, about hour 22.5 was the worst. Full speed down the Mulsanne straight and went through the chicane into tire barrier. Something must have broken. Asian driver, I forget his name, they pulled him out of the car and walked him over to the side and sat him down against the armco. He kept mumbling, "crashin sux" so they knew he was either OK or from this forum.