View Full Version : Would YOU leave your motorcycle on the side of the highway?

Hero Danny
March 9th, 2015, 11:20 AM
I saw an interesting post on reddit about someone leaving their bike on the highway (OP didn't specify why) Said he couldn't get a tow truck until the next morning. Anyway... bike was stolen (unsurprisingly) and was not in any tow records.

Made me think... how many people would do this? I know what I would do, I'd push that bike home, I don't care how tired/hungry I am I'd push it all the way home or find a way to get it home. If It's not home, then i'm not home. (Only exception would be if it was freezing and I was becoming a serious risk for frost bite or some other illness, in which case I most likely wouldn't be riding my bike in the first place).

What about you guys? Interested in the responses.. Although I have a feeling most of you would have a similar reaction as me.

Let's say hypothetically speaking you couldn't tow the bike yourself or have someone else do it. Also the bike was broken too badly to fix on the side of the road.

For those of you who are interested here is the original post... http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/2ygmnr/cbr1000rr_stolen_from_the_side_of_the_interstate/

subxero
March 9th, 2015, 11:26 AM
not a chance, you are just asking for it to get taken. Hell I don't like leaving my dirtbike in the back of a pick-up truck when I take a 3 minute pee break.

I wouldn't push it, I would call someone with a truck to come pick my ass and my bike up, or go to my place and snag my trailer and come get me and the bike

Hero Danny
March 9th, 2015, 11:33 AM
The funny part is the OP didn't seem all that upset (insurance fraud, maybe?)

"Couldn't get a tow company until the next day. It was too late, she's gone.
Very sad."

Yeah, okay OP... if that were me I'd have a LOT more to say about it.

Although who knows, maybe he was very sad... either way he made the WRONG choice leaving it there on the side of the road...

LittleRedNinjette
March 9th, 2015, 11:35 AM
NO

No way in hell. I have roadside assistance on my insurance, and if i didn't i would have AAA or similar for bikes. And thats only if one of my numerous friends with trucks couldn't come get me and the bike or help me limp it home.

alex.s
March 9th, 2015, 11:38 AM
no. call someone to help you pick it up and tow it home. don't leave it alone on the side of the road unless you're parked somewhere and its out front.

fishdip
March 9th, 2015, 11:46 AM
It sounds like insurance fraud.

CajunNinjaR
March 9th, 2015, 11:51 AM
I believe I witnessed this very happening three weeks ago. Just getting into Louisiana from Texas on I-10 I saw a red Harley Davidson that appeared undamaged parked in the shallow ditch between the interstate shoulder and the service road. No helmet or rider in site. No houses or businesses around... Made me scared for the bike! Poor fella was all alone waiting to be stolen. I worry about mine when I leave it in the back yard and would never leave it on the side of the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

alex.s
March 9th, 2015, 12:25 PM
you know, thinking back... i have actually pushed my bikes to gas stations several times. i think the longest was about 5 miles through hills.

csmith12
March 9th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I have been picking people up for years...

If you have to leave your bike on the side of the road, you need more good friends.

Simple as that....

fishdip
March 9th, 2015, 01:39 PM

If you have to leave your bike on the side of the road, you need more good friends.

Simple as that....

Yep. and even if you don't have a truck or trailer I have help push a bike to there house.

Hero Danny
March 9th, 2015, 02:20 PM
The way I think of it, is that your bike carries your ass all the time, thousands and thousands of miles... The least you could do is push it a few miles to a parking lot or your home.

(kinda reminds me of in how I met your mother when the car died at 199,999 miles and they tried to push it for the last mile hahaha)

Sirref
March 9th, 2015, 02:30 PM
When I blew the engine on my pregen I waited with it for four hours for the tow to show up. Didn't have a friend with a pickup, or a pickup, at the time. I didn't wait alone luckily, few friends waited with me on the side of 695 with their hazards on and helped to pay the ridiculous tow fare....did I mention it was 3am when I blew the engine and 7am when the tow truck arrived, the first one was a car only truck when I needed a flatbed.

Didn't bother pushing it since the area I was in, pushing it to a parking lot would be just as bad as leaving it on the side of the beltway

xaple
March 9th, 2015, 03:08 PM
It sounds like insurance fraud.

I don't think it's really fraud if someone actually stole it? He didn't tell someone to steal it.

Sirref
March 9th, 2015, 03:09 PM
I don't think it's really fraud if someone actually stole it? He didn't tell someone to steal it.

it's not fraud, but he probably wanted it stolen if he left it like that

xaple
March 9th, 2015, 03:11 PM
it's not fraud, but he probably wanted it stolen if he left it like that

I leave my keys in my bike always, hoping it gets stolen so I can get money for it. But that's only because insurance company didn't give me anything when a bus clipped me.

Sirref
March 9th, 2015, 03:16 PM
I leave my keys in my bike always, hoping it gets stolen so I can get money for it. But that's only because insurance company didn't give me anything when a bus clipped me.

I did this once by accident, heard the alarm go off in the middle of the night and ran out to the bike only to find that the would be thief hadn't even figured out how to turn the bike on after turning the key to the on position. Even dumber was that the key to take the xena alarm off the bike was on the key ring with the ignition key.

thank god for dumb criminals

xaple
March 9th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I did this once by accident, heard the alarm go off in the middle of the night and ran out to the bike only to find that the would be thief hadn't even figured out how to turn the bike on after turning the key to the on position. Even dumber was that the key to take the xena alarm off the bike was on the key ring with the ignition key.

thank god for dumb criminals

Lmao that's funny I think mine has not been stolen because most opportunity criminals are too stupid too even ride a bike and any professional thief doesn't want a busted up 250. I park in the open at a university with 60,000 student too. No idea how its not gone in past 3 years.

ally99
March 9th, 2015, 05:12 PM

Simple as that....

Well said, as usual Chris.
Agreed. No way in hell. Bike would be GONE! Call a friend, call my insurance company who offers roadside assistance, but never would I leave my bike. I've seen it once or twice...I saw one bike parked on an interstate for several days in a row!

Sirref
March 9th, 2015, 05:15 PM

hell you've even picked up the whole afj truck :thumbup:

monjorrow
March 9th, 2015, 05:53 PM
I left my bike *near* the road once. I was riding home from school and got a flat in the rear, and didn't have my patch kit or my compressor with me. I got lucky and a buddy just happened to drive by and stop. We pushed my bike behind the church that I was stopped in front of and went to get my patch kit. I was only about 15mins from home so the bike wasn't there long at all, and couldn't be seen from the road. Got back, plugged the tire, then bought a new tire the next day. No problem.

MrAtom
March 9th, 2015, 09:00 PM
I'd hold my thumb out every time I saw a truck.

Motofool
March 9th, 2015, 09:08 PM
I once had an electrical problem that was impossible to be repaired on the road.
It happened in a big city and around 2:00 am.
I never knew how many miles I pushed my bike, but I do remember that we both arrived home around 6:00 am ......... and also that my back did hurt for more than a week. :(

Sirref
March 9th, 2015, 09:10 PM
:clapping: :thumbup:

Skullz
March 9th, 2015, 09:36 PM
NO, never!!!!!
I had an electrical problem on my way to work one day and pushed 6+ miles home.
Had another situation a week later that was electrical in nature related to the first incident in which i hadn't plugged the main plug in all the way, and it loosened just enough to kill the bike leaving me once again to push it without tools on me for another 6+ miles.
Ran out of gas a number of times requiring a push of more than 6 miles a time or two. lol
I would rather push it to the ends of the earth than leave it on the road knowing someone will steal it the second i'm far enough away to run back fast enough to stop them.

Daks
March 9th, 2015, 10:58 PM
I'd push my boy miles if no one could pick me up. Out here we have the Barf forum, though, and there are people who straight up volunteer to be on a call list for stranded riders. It's pretty awesome.

crazymadbastard
March 10th, 2015, 06:30 AM
I have theft coverage, so if tow is going to be long I am out!

Ghostt
March 10th, 2015, 06:56 AM
I believe I would call another towing company,

slolane
March 10th, 2015, 07:22 AM
I couldn't leave mine either. I would first contact my family/friends (depending on my area and what time it is), then if needed call my roadside assistance. The roadside assistance is through my insurance and cheap for the peace of mind. I also carry a couple business cards of two local motorcycle tow companies for worse case scenario. In cycling, motorcycling and many other activities I think the best insurance I carry are credit cards and a charged cell phone.

akima
March 15th, 2015, 11:42 AM

Someone may just joy ride your bike around the campus for a bit, end up doing some cosmetic damage and then dump the bike somewhere near by. If the insurance company don't write it off, you'll be stuck with the same bike, the hassle of repairing it and I expect you'd have to pay the first couple hundred dollars of the repair bill.

Your choice, but sounds like a bad idea to me!

Also: re the bus... surely the bus company should be paying for the damage when you were clipped. :confused:

Singh2jz
March 15th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I hope i'm never in that situation, but if i was..then never ever ever ever would I ever ever leave my bike sitting there all by herself.

I had just gotten to school once and I was checking out the other bikes. I started visually molesting this sv650 and then noticed the keys still in the ignish! :eek: I took the keys out and waited for the dude. He was all sweaty and sh*t scared lol..watched him for a bit and then gave him a lecture lolzzzzzzzz..jk about the lecture part.

Ninja Rob
March 15th, 2015, 05:52 PM
My answer, since it was not a choice in the poll is:

Abso-f-ing-lutely no!
Even though I have theft insurance, I would not leave it.

ftheshack
March 15th, 2015, 06:14 PM
No way! If I couldn't get a friend or a tow truck to pick me up, I'd push it. No doubt about it.

JohnnyBravo
March 15th, 2015, 08:41 PM
After parking in my old ghetto neighborhood I will leave my bike about anywhere

petersophy
March 15th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Nope, never. I've heard way too many stories of bikes stolen in broad daylight on busy avenues to ever leave it anywhere near a highway unattended. Nowadays these guys drive around in old stripped out minivans and just lift them into the rear in under 2 minutes.

corksil
March 15th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Nowadays. Wow. That's a big word.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy34/Corksil/photo2_zps5a6cc30e.jpg

If someone stole my bike, I'd find them. And shoot them. With a spitball fired out of a drinking straw made of chewed up paper. Once I had their attention, I'd go have a nice chat with them. Emphasis on nice.

nickjpass
March 22nd, 2015, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure. Depends on the area I suppose.

I once ran out of gas and pushed it about a mile before a good samaritin pulled over and gave me some gas.

If I can see the bike from the gas station I'd probably leave it, walk there, buy a bottle of water and hydrate. Then fill the bottle with gas.

I'd be more worried about the bike getting hit on the side of the road. Theft never crosses my mind till now.

FBR_BDavis
March 23rd, 2015, 06:43 AM
Not a chance in hell I'd leave my bike on the side of the highway unattended, or any road for that matter.. Why tempt fate??

DEFY
March 23rd, 2015, 06:54 AM
I wouldn't leave it. Got AAA so probably just call them or hoof it to the closest gas station if I just ran out of gas.