View Full Version : Ouch on 6-13-09

Strider
June 13th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Well, on my way back from South Mountain in Burke County in NC
I went down.
I hit some gravel in a turn
Bike is bad scored up on left side and turn signal was torn off.
Also, bike will not start.
I broke my left shoulder.
no road rash or anything, but slid 20 feet
but was wearing full gear, so I was saved that pain
but the broken shoulder is enough pain right now.
My bike is 50 miles away and sitting in a strangers yard.
but they seemed like they were very nice people.
My friend John's son saw me go down in the hairpin turn
so they came back to help me out
several others stopped to help as well.

just wanted to let everyone know I was alive though
pics to follow when I can get the bike home

Alan

ninjablk08
June 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM
rest up , glad you r doing well, and get your bike soon

M-Oorb
June 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
That's the bad part about gear...you go down,get messed up, but don't have the war scars to show for it!

But seriously...glad your ok,a broken bone will heal a bike can be fixed. Just wait a couple weeks,get started on those repairs on hop back on!
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
June 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
:(

Elfling
June 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
:( x2. So sorry to hear it Strider- get well soon. Hope the not starting is just some wiring, fingers crossed.

noche_caliente
June 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Alan - I am sorry to hear of your accident! Was it the collar bone or the humerus?
I hope you feel better soon. Don't forget to keep ice on it!

Strider
June 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Alan - I am sorry to hear of your accident! Was it the collar bone or the humerus?
I hope you feel better soon. Don't forget to keep ice on it!

It's the humerus , and it hurts like a !@#$%

noche_caliente
June 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Are you right handed at least? I know they probably gave you the heavy-duty pain killers, but I've always found that taking 800 mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours, or 600 mg every 6 hours was the best bet for me. Lots of times they give you percocet which is acetaminophen based and doesn't help get rid of the swelling, but the ibuprofen will get the swelling out which will help with the pain.
Good luck with the healing, and getting used to typing with 1 hand ;)

BlueRaven
June 13th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Glad your alive. Hope you heal fast.

zartan
June 13th, 2009, 06:50 PM
OUCH :( :crash:

lockie
June 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Glad your in fairly good shape. A cracked shoulder blade is no fun and will be a constant reminder of the event. Take heart though. What ever the cause of the accident you did a lot of things right to make it through it all. It makes you stronger.

Take care:thumbup:

addy126
June 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Glad the gear held up and you walked away from it all. Makes each one of us stronger and "smarter" for the next situation that may loom ahead.

miks
June 13th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Good luck with the shoulder and bike! Hope all goes well.

Nickds7
June 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Ouch, glad your alright. atgatt ftw.

Strider
June 14th, 2009, 04:05 AM
@ noche_caliente : Lucky for me, I am right handed. They gave me vicodin, but the ibuprofen sounds like a good idea. I need something to reduce the swelling. I'll call my doc to make sure it's ok to take it though, just to be safe. Hardly slept last night, maybe 3 hours all in all.

ATGATT forever. That's my motto.

bike update : The people that I had to leave my bike with are wonderful people! The guy loaded my bike up on his little Mazda truck all by himself, and drove 48 miles to bring it to me! And he refused to take any money for it, I had to almost argue with him to get him to take gas money at least. It turns out he rides dirt bikes, but had a crash on a street bike 5 years ago, and tore up his left shoulder as well. He said he was just glad that he could help me out, it was his return on someone who helped him. So I will pay it forward for anyone I see who needs help in the future.

Will post pics of bike this afternoon.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, it means a lot to me!!!

talldrink
June 14th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident Alan. Feel better soon.

Nice to hear that there are still nice people out there with a genuine concern for others.

CC Cowboy
June 14th, 2009, 05:37 AM
crashin sux, don't ride on days you're goin to crash

andrewwoo
June 14th, 2009, 06:44 AM
wow man! glad youre ok.. its just a bike. and its repairable.. no worries!

Elfling
June 14th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Awww...I'm so glad you had some nice people helping out. Get well soon :)

I'm taking ibuprofen during the day and vicodin at night to sleep, just fyi. They should be fine; just don't take them together at the same time, Vicodin usually has acetaminophen or occasionally ibuprofen in it so you don't want to double-dose.

Grn99Kawi
June 14th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Glad you are okay (relatively). Feel better soon. more than likely the bike flooded out causing it to not start.. it might start up today though.

Snake
June 14th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Alan I am very sorry to hear about your crash but at least you are allright.

noche_caliente
June 14th, 2009, 07:49 AM
A correction on what Becca said-
Vicodin is acetaminophen and hydrocodone, where Vicoprofen is ibuprofen and hydrocodone.
Same goes for Pecocet and Percodan except it is oxycodone rather than hydrocodone, and Percodan is aspirin rather than ibuprofen.

Nemy
June 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM
ouch sorry to hear about the crash man. Hope you heal up quick and get that ninja back on the road.

A correction on what Becca said-
Vicodin is acetaminophen and hydrocodone, where Vicoprofen is ibuprofen and hydrocodone.
Same goes for Pecocet and Percodan except it is oxycodone rather than hydrocodone, and Percodan is aspirin rather than ibuprofen.

are you a doctor or a drug dealer?! :eek:

noche_caliente
June 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Neither- I'm someone who has dislocated my knees more times than I care to count and had many knee surgeries - I refuse to take anything stronger than ibuprofen once I learned what was in that stuff.
Oxycodone is what's in Oxycontin - the only difference between it and Percocet is that Percocet is just combined with acetaminaphin or aspirin.
Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, and Codeine are all exactly the same except for one atom. It's a hydrogen in hydrocodone, a hydroxide in oxycodone (OH), and codeine has just a hydrogen, but one of the double-bonded oxygens is hydroxide.
All of them are closely related to heroine believe it or not...

TnNinjaGirl
June 14th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Ouch Alan. :( Sorry you went down. Hope you heal quickly. Pat on the back for ATGATT.

CC Cowboy
June 14th, 2009, 06:53 PM
So let me get this straight; everyone is crashing just to get some prescription drugs? I find riding is a better high!

Sound Wave
June 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM
sorry to hear about your accident strider. hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

OldGuy
June 14th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Alan - sorry to hear about the crash. Rest up and get well. I know you will get a lot of opinions but take what you need to be free of the pain. When I had a part of my right lung removed due to lung cancer and I was concerned about the drugs my surgeon told me straight out "pain will only block your healing - I will not let you become addicted to anything". He was right. We will be thinking about you.

tinng321
June 15th, 2009, 04:55 AM
:( sorry to hear of your accident. hope you recover soon..

Strider
June 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hi everyone! and Thanks for the well wishes :)

I finally got pics of the damage to post. It's not as bad as I feared, but I was hustled away from the crash site to fast to get a good look, now is back in my yard....

I credit the Good-Luck Stealth Dragon I have on the windscreen for it not being as bad as it shgould have been ( THANKS CB !!! )

Have appt. with bone doc at 3pm today. Will update tonight.

But here are the pics ... all the dirt is still there from where I slid off the road, haven't washed anything yet. I feel so bad...

UPDATE : Bike still will not start and lights don't even come on ... must call mechanic tomorrow

Strider
June 15th, 2009, 10:16 AM

One of the guys I work with just called to give me this same advice ... lol

Cali619
June 15th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Sorry to hear about the crash, hope you and the bike get back on the road again soon.

Strider
June 15th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Just got back from the Orthopedic Doctor...

first the good news -
I am not in a cast, but I still have to wear an immobilization sling and chest band, which is almost as uncomfortable as cast.
I will not require Surgery (as yet, unless the bone comes completely loose which isn't too likely the doctor said, but it could happen)
I can go back to work on Wednesday but I have to be on Light Duty for 4-6 weeks

Now the bad news -
I cannot use my left arm for anything for the next 4-6 weeks except very light duty with my hand only, nothing that requires full arm movement.
I am not allowed to drive at all for the next 4-6 weeks

I have to go back on the 22nd for more x-rays to determine if surgery will be needed then, which it shouldn't if I take care for the next few days.
Then I will start basic physical therapy 2 weeks after that. After a full 6 weeks if my arm is not back to 100% usage I will not be able to ride my motorcycle again until I go threw even more therapy!

ARGHH! :taz:

At least I'm alive ... sending my bike to the Kawasaki Hospital on Friday ...

BTW, my doctor told me NOT to take ibuprofen as there is a current medical study that says that it actually inhibits fractions from healing properly and in a timely manner if taken too often in the first weeks of the healing process. I was astounded. :idunno: He's got 31 years of experience, so I hope he knows his stuff, he was highly recommended to me.

So now I'm off to try and get soome rest, and hopefully my wife's nerves can calm down now, she's already lost all her nails over this.

Thanks again for the well wishes everyone :) See you soon

CC Cowboy
June 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Those drugs will kill you one way or another. I broke my collar bone while at my grandfather's in IL one summer. The Doctor gave my a Tylenol and sent me on my way. I bought 3 cases of beer and drove home (to Boston). I actually was with a buddy who drove. I did the drinking.

zartan
June 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Stryder thanks for the update. I hope you heal quiclky and thanks for the tip on the ibpro. Also hope you get to avoid surgery entirely!!!

Lots of hope coming your way. :)

komohana
June 15th, 2009, 10:53 PM
strider you take care. hoping all the best for ya.
bike will be there when ya fixed...so get well bruddah!

:angel::amen:

Strider
June 16th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Some of you may have read in another thread that I am preparing to possibly have eye surgery .... well, not anytime soon now.

I just found out that my Eye Doctor was killed in a motorcycle crash the day before I had mine.
He was on vacation in Jacksonville, Florida and hit a concrete rail on his Gold Wing and was killed.

RIP : Dr. Randall Holland , a good doc and a damn fine gentleman ...

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/holland-35069-self-patient.html

http://www.legacy.com/GastonGazette/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=128463043

noche_caliente
June 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
How very sad for your community Alan. My thoughts are with you guys.

andrewwoo
June 16th, 2009, 08:00 PM
my prayers are you.

zartan
June 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
holy cow that is just plain freaky, So sorry to hear this. :(
I think you need to burn some sage or something. Want only goodness for you and yours...
Again , sending good thoughts your way...

Visus
June 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Man, that's rough! Can I ask about how fast you were going when you crashed?
Terrible about your doctor dying in a motorcycle crash of all things! Hope your spirits aren't dampened too much. Take it easy.

Elfling
June 17th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Aww, Strider :(

demp
June 17th, 2009, 04:54 AM

im saving this quote, that's genius

glad you're alright though

Strider
June 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM
holy cow that is just plain freaky, So sorry to hear this. :(
I think you need to burn some sage or something. Want only goodness for you and yours...
Again , sending good thoughts your way...

GREATLY appreciated !

Man, that's rough! Can I ask about how fast you were going when you crashed?
Terrible about your doctor dying in a motorcycle crash of all things! Hope your spirits aren't dampened too much. Take it easy.

Somewhere between 25 - 30 mph ... I was into the curve before I saw the gravel.

Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
im saving this quote, that's genius
glad you're alright though

Seriously! Even I cracked up at that one :)

Aww, Strider :(
That just about sums it up lately, Elfling ...

BIKE UPDATE : Bike refuses to start still. I give up ... sending to the Kawasaki Hospital on Friday before I mess it worse ...

TnNinjaGirl
June 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Stealth Ninja Dragons for everyone!!!

Strider
June 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Stealth Ninja Dragons for everyone!!!

:thumbup: Yeppers , Thanks again CB!

Anthony_marr
June 18th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Well as I hear, there are two kinds of riders: A. those who have crashed, and B. those who will crash. Congratulations on the promotion from B to A. (I'm still in B, so I'm bracing myself.) And thank the bike-god you're okay.

Verus Cidere
June 19th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Well as I hear, there are two kinds of riders: A. those who have crashed, and B. those who will crash. Congratulations on the promotion from B to A. (I'm still in B, so I'm bracing myself.) And thank the bike-god you're okay.

I may be part of A, but my crash was nowhere near as severe as yours. Glad to hear you're mostly alright (you're alive, so that qualifies:rolleyes:)! Get well soon! Broken bones are a pain (literally and figuratively)! :mad: Don't be too mad about not being able to ride for a while! Make sure you're at 100% before you get back on the bike. It's better to be sure that YOU won't cause the next one. Good luck with fixing the bike too. Sorry about your eye doctor. Best wishes to his family and friends. Again, good luck on healing your bike and yourself. :D

zartan
June 19th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Well as I hear, there are two kinds of riders: A. those who have crashed, and B. those who will crash. .

I have to say I really hate that saying. It is like inviting the devil to dinner. Brings it right into your universe. I never use it but I hear it all the time.

Update from the bike doc??

kkim
June 19th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I have to say I really hate that saying. It is like inviting the devil to dinner. Brings it right into your universe. I never use it but I hear it all the time.

:D:thumbup:

TrueFaith
June 20th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Sounds almost identical to mine at this time last year. I escaped with only a separated shoulder, but my left knee needed surgery. Now that it's happened you'll be noticing all the posts from forum members who have washed out on gravel even more - and there are a lot of them on a regular basis. I think gravel brings down more bikers than anything else and is much more likely to happen to you than some of the more serious accidents we hear about. Keep your eyes peeled, everybody! It's out there waiting to get ya! :eek:

Strider
June 20th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Update from the bike doc??

Not yet, still awaiting the dreaded call-back. I probably won't hear anything till middle of the week since they are closed tomorrow and Monday....

Sorry to hear about the accident. Sounds almost identical to mine at this time last year. I escaped with only a separated shoulder, but my left knee needed surgery. Now that it's happened you'll be noticing all the posts from forum members who have washed out on gravel even more - and there are a lot of them on a regular basis. I think gravel brings down more bikers than anything else and is much more likely to happen to you than some of the more serious accidents we hear about. Keep your eyes peeled, everybody! It's out there waiting to get ya! :eek:

Gravel ... curse of the Bike-Gods ... Death to all gravel!!!

Strider
June 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Those of you who do not know anything about Final Fantasy Advent Children won't get this but ...

I had taken off my sling and shoulder immobilizer for cleaning,
I was looking at my left bicep when my 10 year old walks up to me and says :
Dad, you've got Geostigma!

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/2968/geostigma.jpg

I told him Cloud was modeled after me so that explained the Geostigma ;)

He didn't believe me, of course.

Not like his mom though ... when I was at the ER last week, she calls me to see how I am and I jokingly told her "they are going to amputate my left arm".
I caught Hell for that remark when I got home ....

noche_caliente
June 21st, 2009, 05:04 PM
those bruises take forever to heal too - I think they're the worst part of everything

Strider
June 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Went in to get my arm checked today , they took new x-rays , and it looks like it's beginning to heal OK so far
I misunderstood when the doc at the hospital told me it was broken halfway ...
its actually broken all the way around the outer edge, not half way threw like I first thought
He said if I continue to keep good care of it though, I won't need surgery, but if I pull it loose they will have to pin it back into place and I will never be able to ride my motorcycle again.
As it is I am going to have limited mobility for the rest of my life. He said I would loose about 20% but will still be able to ride and work normally.
So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it heals properly and doesn't come loose!
I still have to wear the brace for 6 weeks, maybe 8 to 10 he said.
Bruising is getting worse, but that is normal and will probably spread to cover my entire shoulder and arm soon
Pain is manageable , but it does spike at times to a high degree.
They gave me new meds, hopefully these won't make me nauseous....

Thanks to all those who have posted, called and emailed to check on me!

kkim
June 22nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Alan,

Thanks for the update with the good and bad news. Hang in there and hope/pray for the best at this point. We're all pulling for you. :thumbup:

noche_caliente
June 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear the prognosis. Hopefully the doc is wrong about the loss of movement! When I shattered my kneecap back in '99, the doc told me I may never walk again.... granted I'm waiting for double knee replacements and can't run, but it's far better than not walking! I'll keep you in my thoughts, and i hope that things get better for you!

Strider
June 24th, 2009, 02:05 PM
BIKE UPDATE

I hadn't heard from the Kawasaki shop so I decided to call today ... and the service tech says :

"Huh, I haven't had time to get to yours yet, I've been swamped. I'm really sorry." ( he did sound sorry, so I didn't get pissed)

I told him it was cool, and to take his time since he does excellent work. I'm not able to ride now anyways, but it would be nice to get my bike back soon so I can stare at it and pine way in peace. He promised to get on it by Saturday. He did say it looks like a minimum $400 in damage repair and parts, plus regular service. He thinks I need a new shift cable, battery, left signal and some wiring. The rest is mostly cosmetic.

Obsidian
June 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Geostigma... I lawled.

Glad you're ok for the most part. And dude, my bike was WAY more bashed up than yours and I think my bike rides better now. The only thing I fixed was I sanded off the scratches and left it unpainted, put on flush mount front signals and I straightened the bars back.

I hope yours is as lucky as mine. It also sounds like a wire or maybe even the battery had a casualty. But on my bike, the headlight will not come on until the bike has started or had a try at starting. Check the rear signal if you get the chance.

Get well soon.

-Brandon.

geostigma..... hahahaha

Strider
June 24th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Will do!

Yeah, my boy surprises me sometimes, I busted out laughing when he said Geostigma myself

Thanks Brandon :)

Strider
July 1st, 2009, 08:11 AM
Well, I just got back from the bone doctor, and it seems I'm not getting any worse, but I'm not healing as good as expected either. I have to wear the immobilization sling and brace for 2 more weeks, and then we will think about beginning rehab therapy on the shoulder. I guess at 41 and with a slow metabolism I just can't heal as fast as the average guy. My doctor says it may be another 6 to 8 weeks from now before I can even attempt to ride again, possibly even 12 weeks :eek:. I'm still having bad stabs of pain, and sleeping all night is nearly impossible. Pain meds are helping slightly, but I'm tired of taking them and I don't want to get addicted to anything...

No word back from the Kawasaki doc yet though ... beginning to get really worried about that. I hope there isn't anything seriously wrong with my bike, hopefully he's just too busy fixing it to call me back. If I haven't heard from him by Friday, I'm going down there and demand answers :mad:

I'm beginning to get a little stir-crazy, since I can't go out and do all the regular things I like to do (baseball with the kids, bike riding,climbing,etc), all I'm allowed to do is walk,walk,walk. I can drive, but only for short trips. I HATE being chauffeured :(

Thanks again for all the kind comments and well wishes, you guys mean the world to me :D

ally99
July 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM
Bless your heart, Strider. I hope you feel better soon AND get the peace of mind you need to hear from the Kawasaki doc. That gravel and those sand patches are scary stuff...I love me some twisties, but the road surface issues can sneak up on you in a hurry in the middle of a curve. Get well soon!

Ash
July 1st, 2009, 08:40 AM
I feel your pain. Dropped my bike on June 6th.

Broken collar bone and bad case of bursitis on the hip. I had the three week follow up X-ray day before yesterday. It showed the bones had shifted out of alignment - not bad, but not the progress we were hoping for either :(. Brace gets even tighter and stays for another three weeks at least - and both sling and brace at night when sleeping. If things look the same in the next x-ray in another three weeks, then I should be good.

No sailing, kayaking, scuba or swing dancing this summer :'(.

Anyway, best wishes for a swift and strong recovery!

Strider
July 1st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Dang Ash! We're both bad off this summer!

Hope you get to healing and feeling better soon!!!

Nickds7
July 1st, 2009, 11:39 AM
those bruises take forever to heal too - I think they're the worst part of everything

Yeah they do, I was limping around for weeks due to bruising when i went down a little back

Strider
July 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Just got off the phone with the Kawasaki Doc ....

Forks are ok, but handlebars were bent, battery burned out, signal and wires ripped out. Upper and lower fairings scratched up, gas tank dented.

Total repair costs will be $2200 in parts, then add service .... #$%& !!!
This includes replacement of the gas tank ($650!), several hundred for upper fairing and lower fairing, new handlebars, and signal lights, battery etc.

But if I get it back to just mechanical running shape and it will only run $500 total, but look like crap for now. I'll have to leave the fairing on with the battle scars and a mild (but not dangerous) dent in the tank....

kkim
July 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
so the bike is totaled at this point, correct?

OldGuy
July 1st, 2009, 02:34 PM
I don't even want to ask but . . . Insurance?

Strider
July 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Nope, not totaled, fully repairable and ride-able when the $500 mechanical work is done.

$1700 is cosmetic

Insurance will cover it, but my rate would go sky high! and I have a $500 deductible

noche_caliente
July 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Alan, I'm sorry the news from the doc is yucky all around! At least the plastics can wait, and you can do great things with some elbow grease and fiberglass patch in the mean time.... that's one of the nice parts of having a black bike! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. ~K

Strider
July 1st, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'm taking donations towards a new 2010 model :D

kkim
July 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Insurance will cover it, but my rate would go sky high!

how much would it go up by?

Strider
July 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM
how much would it go up by?

Agent said he wasn't sure, but maybe by 75%

kkim
July 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
I would get some hard numbers from him. He's trying to get you to not file a claim... they don't want to pay out. All I'm saying is get real data before deciding what to do. :)

Strider
July 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Will do Kelly, thanks for the advice :)

komohana
July 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM
aloha alan & thanx for the update.
i can only imagine how irritating your injuries can be and how it's changed some of the most basic things. yet, i admire your attitude greatly. keep yourself sane as a healthy mind will certainly do much to help your body as well.
good thoghts at ya~

Strider
July 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks Steve :) It has not been easy, but I'm lucky to have a wonderful wife and 2 great kids to help me along this road of life :) , not to mention all the great people here on the forums :thumbup:

Kelly, I grappled with my insurance agent this morning, and he is sending an adjuster out to look my bike over before Kawasaki of Gastonia gets to work on it. He tried to feed me some story about getting 3 points on my insurance for this, but I told him "Let's just see what goes on after the adjuster looks her over."
Keeping my fingers crossed that they will handle this properly. I have a $500 deductible, but I would have had to pay that anyway just to get her back on the road...

kkim
July 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Alan,

I'm not advocating going one way or another at his point with filing a claim, but you pay for insurance coverage... the least they can do is give you some service for the money you pay out when you need the help deciding. It's their job, even if they don't think it is. :)

Good luck... I'm curious to see what they come up with.

Strider
July 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Me too Kelly, but it will be the middle of next week before I hear anything since its a holiday weekend and the Kawasaki shop is closed Sundays and Mondays. If they will work with me on this, I think my bike will be back to near-perfect when I'm well enough to ride again.

Not sure about the 3 point deal though .... something doesn't mesh with that, it seems high for a single vehicle accident

kkim
July 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
was there ever a police report made of the accident?

Strider
July 2nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
No report filed , the policeman said he didn't need to file one since it was a single vehicle no-fault accident.

I was in too much pain to worry about anything else at the time. Once I was in the ambulance, I never saw him again, and don't remember his name either.

kkim
July 2nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
that's actually a good thing as there is no official report of the cause or blame of the accident.

when the insurance company tries to lay 100% blame on you, tell them the road conditions were hazardous and the gravel on the road was unavoidable based on the road and traffic conditions and see what they say. :)

Strider
July 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Will do :) Thanks for the advice Kelly

I'll keep posting as info comes up.

CC Cowboy
July 3rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Tell them there was a herd of alligators in the damn road. You had to put it down or PETA would be up your ass.

Strider
July 3rd, 2009, 07:33 AM
:rotflmao:

Strider
July 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Sorry for the lack up update ...
I had to go back to work and by the time I get home I'm in too much pain to do anything but go to bed...

NEWS :

Not much new on the healing front ... going slow...

My insurance company is paying to fix my bike! And my rate is only going up $50 a year! WOW. $2200 in damages for $50 a year for 2 years? YES, I'll do that.

I talked calmly with my agent, who is a nice guy, and explained the whole incident, he was still saying he had to fault me with the accident since I was in control of the bike, but since there was no report filed, that there wouldn't be but 1 point added to my insurance for 2 years. Company policy he said. I read my coverage. Yes, it was there... but I can handle that, it's not too bad.

CC , I tried the alligator bit, No Dice. My agent was highly amused though :)

GreezMunky
July 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Get better Alan, sorry to hear about all the down time. That blows.

kkim
July 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
great news on the bike/insurance! :thumbup:

heal up quickly so you can go riding again, but none of this... :crash:

noche_caliente
July 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
glad to hear things are working out well :) sucks that the insurance isn't playing too nice, but better than nothing at all or a huge increase!

Strider
July 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for no more crashes :) , thanks for the well wishes everyone :)

I got the insurance check today and went down to the shop to pay up, and there were 2 brand new 2009 SE's sitting in the showroom looking so lonely, and a gorgeous Red 2009 as well ....

I'm holding out for the 2010 model, but it was hard to walk away ....

Good news : My agent called me during lunch at work, and there was a mis-type in my adjusters estimate .... so NO insurance increase, No Points, No nothing except a big fat check to fix my bike (I still have to pay the $500 deductible though)! But I was thrilled when he told me that the error was in my favor :thumbup:

Alex
July 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I'm holding out for the 2010 model, but it was hard to walk away (sic "from the 2009's")....

Can I ask what factors in to this decision? Is it an expectation or even a hope that the 2010 model will be different in any way from the 2009 model, or is it just getting more miles on your current bike before you want to plunk down the cash on a new one?

kkim
July 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Good news : My agent called me during lunch at work, and there was a mis-type in my adjusters estimate .... so NO insurance increase, No Points, No nothing except a big fat check to fix my bike (I still have to pay the $500 deductible though)! But I was thrilled when he told me that the error was in my favor :thumbup::D

noche_caliente
July 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM
yahoo! :cheer2::crazybounce:

Strider
July 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Can I ask what factors in to this decision? Is it an expectation or even a hope that the 2010 model will be different in any way from the 2009 model, or is it just getting more miles on your current bike before you want to plunk down the cash on a new one?

Actually , it's numerical . My birthday is October 20th (10/20) so I want a 2010 :D See? (I know...weird reasoning...)
I plan to keep my 2006 for my wife :thumbup:

Custom Seat Creations
July 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Alan,

Glad to hear you're alright and things are working in your favor. Best wishes for a quick recovery. Keep that dream of the 2010!

Regards,
Becky

noche_caliente
July 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
10/20 is my uncle's birthday as well - now that you pointed out the number thing, I'll have to make a big deal about it next year!

Strider
July 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM
10/20 is my uncle's birthday as well - now that you pointed out the number thing, I'll have to make a big deal about it next year!

:thumbup: Here's to sharing a birthday :) Tell him he needs a 2010 too!

SERIOUSLY thinking of going Green next year too ... thanks to Kelly making me want one ;)

kkim
July 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM
SERIOUSLY thinking of going Green next year too ... thanks to Kelly making me want one ;)

just make sure you can handle a green one... they are really, really fast. :ride:

Strider
July 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
just make sure you can handle a green one... they are really, really fast. :ride:

I should be re-trained and ready by 2010 Kelly :)

Sorry I haven't been on lately, it's a mad house here! I never knew there was SO much happening around my home until I couldn't use one arm!
I have plenty of honey-do's ;)

Injury Update :
Went to the doc again today, shoulder is healing well but I still have to wear the sling .... ARGH! Beginning physical therapy later this week as well. Doc still says I will loose 20% of my mobility .... I say BS, I'll get it back, gonna train hard (as I can without hurting myself!) to make it happen.

Bike Update :
All quiet from the Kawasaki Doc , waiting for parts to arrive, and tech to get to work :) I told them to take it easy and not rush since I'm down til Aug. 8th anyways ...

Take care everyone :)

noche_caliente
July 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I have every confidence that you'll prove the doc wrong!

TrueFaith
July 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Geez...I just heard that one of the riders in today's Tour de France stage had a DOUBLE collar bone break. I guess you can consider yourself somewhat lucky? :p

kkim
July 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM
tell they wife you can't attend to the honey-do list because of your injury... doctor's orders. ;)

good luck w/ the rehab... :thumbup:

Strider
July 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I have every confidence that you'll prove the doc wrong!

Gonna try my best ;)

Geez...I just heard that one of the riders in today's Tour de France stage had a DOUBLE collar bone break. I guess you can consider yourself somewhat lucky? :p

Compared to him, 'lucky' would be a mild word for me! OUCH 2x!

tell they wife you can't attend to the honey-do list because of your injury... doctor's orders. ;)

good luck w/ the rehab... :thumbup:

Thanks Kelly :)

komohana
July 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
aloha alan,
thanx for keeping us up-to-date on yer progress.
good news about the insurance!
and you showed some real maturity leaving them newer bikes alone like that..specially w/money in hand!

take care :thumbup:

Strider
July 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Had my first Therapy and evaluation today ...

According to my wonderful (and extremely cute!) Therapist, I should have about 165 degrees of mobility at 100% ... I have 100-110 degrees before the pain sets in. She says that with it being so soon after the break, I am doing very well! She said I won't see 100% return, but with luck I can get 80-90%. I laughed (politely) and told her I would get 100% back, just wait and see. She was already amazed that, given the state of my X-Rays, that I can touch the back of my neck with my left hand. Just for fun, I had tied the ties on the back of the silly little hospital gown that they make you wear. I was quite proud of myself. She couldn't believe I had done it alone (my darling wife was with me), so I untied them and tied them back again. She said that was 'quite a feat for someone who has those type of injuries'. Again, I was very pleased with myself (even if it was in a childish I did it! way).

Anyways, all is fairing well. I have therapy 2x a week for the next 3 weeks and then they say I should be able to ride again! August can't get here fast enough :D
I'm not going to over-do it , but I am going to push myself. Besides, my son wants to take Tae Kwon Do, and I want to join him since he's finally showing interest in something!

GreezMunky
July 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM
Keep up the positive attitude Alan, that'll be one of the biggest things to get you through. Glad to hear therapy is going so well!

noche_caliente
July 21st, 2009, 08:11 PM
you're doing great! I hate when they make those kinds of predictions - it can really mess with you, so I'm glad you're already showing her up! :)

Strider
August 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM
OK .... I finally have to talk about this. This may not be the place for it, but I'm gonna do it ... I'm gonna say what I have to say.

< begin vent >

After my crash in June, I've been hurting pretty bad. I've messed a lot of work and I know I'm not the easiest guy to be around when I'm in pain, cause I'm a pain-in-the-*ss. I'm the first to admit it.
BUT
I've had more well wishes, and good luck PMs and emails from members on this forum than I've had friends and relatives who live 10 minutes away from me come to visit! Seriously. I've had 2 visitors (and one was the new guy next door!) , and 1 phone call. Not even my own brother has called to check on me. Not ONCE. The only people who have done anything to help me out are the people I live with (my wife, kids, mom and adopted bro), and the great guy and his son who saw me go down in the first place. (Your still me hero Joseph!)

I guess I must be a bigger jerk than I thought ...

OK, I realize that sounds like I'm begging for help and attention. That is not my intention. I'm not begging for anything.
Except a little compassion maybe.

Maybe it's the fact that the members of this forum CARE about the other members. I've seen it in the posts to me and I've seen it in the care shown to Becky (CustomSeatCreations) in the post about her accident. (Get well soon Becky!)
I'm not asking for anyone to post any more Get Well's for me or anything, I'm getting better and others need the care right now. Let's keep Becky and the new people who have had accidents in our thoughts and prayers.

SO what it really comes down to is this :

Ladies and gentlemen, I just wanted to say THANK YOU one and all ... for caring and sharing. It means the world to me right now.
It's nice to have family.

< end venting >

Peace,
Alan

and I'm sorry it this strained anyone's eyes ... I just needed to say it.

noche_caliente
August 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM
*hugs* You know we're here for you. But give the locals a break - it's hard to remember how much things can hurt and how long recovery takes.... and besides, it's *just* a broken arm.... we realize it's more than that because we have a great sneak-peek into your recovery, but unless you're posting the same updates on a blog somewhere, they might not realize that it's FAR more than just a broken arm.... that it's limiting your ability to get out and go anywhere on your own and that you (according to the docs that you're going to prove wrong) may have some loss of functionality. When I went down last August, aside from my friends over on KF that I would admit the accident to, not a single soul came by to see me or check on me... it really sucked... but then again, I've had so many knee injuries, it's not that unusual I guess... back in '99 there was only one person aside from the group members that had to work with me that visited when I shattered my kneecap and had reconstructive surgery...

I totally understand where you're coming from - I don't want it to seem like I don't agree with your post 100%, just trying to give you a little perspective from where they may be seeing things. I know you said you don't want more get well wishes, but you're getting them anyway - I've been thinking about you this afternoon when we were out riding! *hugs*

kkim
August 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM
Alan,

I may be speaking out my ass, but may it be that because you got hurt in a motorcycle accident, people have sort of a "he had it coming to him... I told him it was dangerous to ride a motorcycle" type attitude? Now that you're hurt, they either feel it's not needed to reinforce their attitude and even if they regret thinking so, they might feel guilty now for feeling that way towards you riding.

You're among fellow riders on the board... every one of us can relate to crashing and the healing that ensues. You get a lot of sympathetic ears here. Besides, typing something on a keyboard is a lot faster and easier than actually climbing in my car and going over to your house. :D

You're just getting antsy with the long recoup and having too much idle time to think about your situation as you slowly heal, physically... which is a good thing, in a way as you're showing that mentally, you're ready to get back out there and ride again. :thumbup:

GL, man.... just don't drive your loved ones, immediately around you, nuts! :rant:
:)

Strider
August 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks guys :)

*hug* Kim, Thanks :)

I've sent email updates (like my posts here) to all my friends and relatives to keep them updated on my condition, but only 1 friend ever replies to those. It's possible, like you said Kelly, that they think I 'had it coming' for riding a motorcycle. I am the only one in my family that rides (for right now), and only 1 of my close friends rides, and he's bike-less right now. But hey, I was feeling odd last night and I had to vent somewhere, so why not here ;)
thanks for listening, and for the advice! I'll try to chill.
But now that the Doc says I can drive (FINALLY), maybe I'll pay a few visits to people myself :D

Oh yeah, before I forget ...

BIKE UPDATE :
All is going well, if slow, with the repairs. BUT ... the parts company sent red cowling instead of the black that the Kawasaki Doc ordered, so now it's send it back and wait for the black to come in... they are also waiting on a mirror replacement and a bracket (of some kind). I told the Doc to take his time with the repairs, so it's now worries for me, can't ride for another 2 or more weeks anyways... but red???? I mean my bike is black as sin... I saw the parts order form, how do you get RED out of B-L-A-C-K ???

Oh well ... in 2010 it will be a Green for me anyways :D

tjkamper
August 2nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
sorry about the hold up on your parts. I hope everything gets done about the same time as you are healed.

Best Wishes,

Strider
August 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Me too Travis, I can't wait to get back on the road!
I'm beginning to get stir-crazy ...

DarkNinja52
August 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hope the healing is going well, i just had to sit here and read every post after i read the first one. Hope you get back on the bike soon and keep your head up

Strider
August 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM
aj, Thanks for reading :) How are you feeling after your accident?

Therapy is helping quite a bit. According to my lovely Therapist, 165 degrees is ideal.
I'm at 140 degrees movement now, up from the 90 degrees I had 2 weeks ago...
and I can actually left my arm above my head now!
She laughed with me when she said :
"You can't do that yet." and I did it to show her.
Therapist was very happy with my progress, but I still think it's slow.
NOT going to rush though, that would cause big problems.
Going back to the Orthopedic Doc tomorrow for more X Rays and a check up.
Will update again when I get any news on my bike ... I really miss having my Stealth Dragon!

DarkNinja52
August 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Im still limping around everywhere, but im fine, back on the bike and all is good (except for the fairings but i'll get over it)
I'm glad your healing is turning out much better than your therapist expects. It's those positive thoughts you have that are helping you heal. A lot of the healing process is mental, so keep it up.
come back with good news from the the check up tomorrow and hopefully youll hear about Stealth Dragon tomorrow. Keep fighting buddy.

noche_caliente
August 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Alan - where's our update?

conchwanab
August 5th, 2009, 04:49 PM
wow that is way too freaky man!!My prayers are with you and the family of your doctor.I hope you have a full recovery and your bike as well.Stay off the drugs and stick to Sammy Hagars Cabo Wabo tequilla!!Vitamin T always works wonders.

Strider
August 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Alan - where's our update?

UPDATE :D : Got back from the Bone Doc and he says .... 90% healed!
I can ride again starting next week !!!!!!!!!!!!
Now all I need is for the Kawi Doc to get my bike done :p
HOPEFULLY that will be ASAP !!! I'm going to call them every day until my baby is repaired :D
They promised to be done by next Friday, but it maybe sooner (keeping fingers crossed)

wow that is way too freaky man!!My prayers are with you and the family of your doctor. I hope you have a full recovery and your bike as well.Stay off the drugs and stick to Sammy Hagars Cabo Wabo tequilla!!Vitamin T always works wonders.

Thanks :) Gotta get me some T then :) Sammy's a hero of mine :cool:

Anthony_marr
August 5th, 2009, 05:53 PM
UPDATE :D : Got back from the Bone Doc and he says .... 90% healed!
I can ride again starting next week !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Strider, it's been almost 2 months. For a rider without his mount it must have felt like 2 years. Glad you're returning to the saddle soon. Get that mech of yours to have you bike fixed already!

noche_caliente
August 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Great update! Just the kind we like to hear!

DarkNinja52
August 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM
congrats man, its those positive thoughts, im tellin you

hope to hear good things about the bike soon

Strider
August 9th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I get to pick up my bike on Thursday!!!
All is repaired except for the front fender, and that is being done Tuesday!
I get to pick up on Thursday after they get the inspection done :cool:

I stopped in Saturday to talk to the Doc and he took me back into the shop and we looked the bike over ... and it's gorgeous again! No sign of the crash to be seen :D I'm so freakin' thrilled! and just in time too since my doctor cleared me to ride again :thumbup:

HUZZAH for me!

noche_caliente
August 9th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Yay Alan! That's great to hear! Stay tuned for my post later about the ride I took yesterday - the anniversary of my accident

DarkNinja52
August 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM
CONGRATULATIONS! I woke up today and for some reason I thought "I get a feeling Alan is going to post an update about his bike/or already had and I missed it" kinda weird that I had that feeling. I'm excited for you, and im sure you've missed your baby a ton. Both you and your bike sound like you've made quite a magnificent recovery. Congrats again man.

DarkNinja52
August 13th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Better be hearing some good news today...

noche_caliente
August 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM
It's Thursday, and the site is moved to the new server.... where's our update? Or are you out riding now?

Strider
August 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
LOL guys, sorry the update is late ... I just walked in the door ....

MY BIKE IS HOME !!!!
And looking as pristine as NEW!
I am SO thrilled that words can't even describe it :D

Kawasaki Doc did and A-1 job, and they saved me $156 on my deductible to boot!
I am impressed and relieved!

Going to go riding this weekend, and I'm going to take it easy since I've been 8 weeks off the bike...

noche_caliente
August 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Congratulations Alan! Glad you're on two wheels again!

kkim
August 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Congrats, Alan. Enjoy your weekend ride. :ride:

Anthony_marr
August 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Congrats Alan! Show us a pic of your "new" bike, with you on it if possible. What is the damage ($-wise to fix it)?

Sound Wave
August 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM
glad to hear that all seems good. hope you had fun today.

Strider
August 16th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Congrats Alan! Show us a pic of your "new" bike, with you on it if possible. What is the damage ($-wise to fix it)?

I'll post some new pics soon, just haven't gotten around to taking shots yet!
Insurance company payed $1723 and I added $344 to that to get her home :)
They managed to knock $156 off my deductible for me!
(and they even fixed the dent in the gas tank FOR FREE!)

Spent a good while in the saddle Saturday and Sunday, but still taking it easy. Did some "practice" in the local mall parking lot, and some basic stop-n-go to get back into the swing of things. Left arm and shoulder are sore and stiff now, but it was worth it to be riding again!
My wife's gonna kill me when I tell her I'm stiff. She didn't want me to ride again yet to avoid injure, but the Doc did clear me ... LOL

DarkNinja52
August 16th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I'll post some new pics soon, just haven't gotten around to taking shots yet!
Insurance company payed $1723 and I added $344 to that to get her home :)
They managed to knock $156 off my deductible for me!
(and they even fixed the dent in the gas tank FOR FREE!)

Spent a good while in the saddle Saturday and Sunday, but still taking it easy. Did some "practice" in the local mall parking lot, and some basic stop-n-go to get back into the swing of things. Left arm and shoulder are sore and stiff now, but it was worth it to be riding again!
My wife's gonna kill me when I tell her I'm stiff. She didn't want me to ride again yet to avoid injure, but the Doc did clear me ... LOL

Glad to hear things are well. Be careful with the arm, although the doc did clear you, you are really the only one that knows if you should be riding yet or not. Im sure youre excited to be riding again, but take it easy. just make sure you're feeling soreness from working the muscles, and not pain from inadequate healing time. and congrats!

noche_caliente
August 16th, 2009, 07:07 PM
great to hear that you're riding again Alan! Get some ice on that shoulder to help with the stiffness, preferably when the wife isn't around ;)

Custom Seat Creations
August 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Congrats on getting back on the bike.

Strider
August 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Congrats on getting back on the bike.

Thanks Becky :)
You rest up and heal, we're all praying for you :)

Strider
August 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Finally got my camera out and got a picture of my baby all repaired :)

All new : upper and lower cowling, left mirror, front fender, left handle bar and shift lever, muffler, and the dent in the gas tank was fixed :thumbup:

We've been out riding all day :) Weather's great here today!

((( Here's the Before Pics : http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=69364&postcount=30 )))

DarkNinja52
August 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
swweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :thumbup:
stay safe man

kkim
August 23rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
bike looks great, Alan. :)

enjoy in good health.

noche_caliente
August 23rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
looking good Alan!

Sound Wave
August 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
wow. looks like a brand new bike.

Anthony_marr
August 24th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Looks great Alan! When my bike begins to look crappy, I'll just have a crash (low-sider hopefully), and pay my deductible ($300). :)

Strider
August 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
The guys at Gastonia Kawasaki/Suzuki hooked me up right, those guys are GREAT!
I recommend them to anyone who lives in the area :)