View Full Version : Tip - magnetic tankbags

Gregular
June 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Just had a bad experience and thought I'd post so that others may not suffer from such a silly thing that's so avoidable.

Basically I noticed a badass scratch on the tank to the side of my tankbag.
I lifted off the tankbag and found around 10 more scratches.

Looked at the underside of my tankbag.....

and some how a freakin staple had stuck to the magnetic base.
Why o' why didn't I check the base of the bag bfore whackin it on the bike

kkim
June 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
very good advice. :)

also, if the scratches aren't deep enough to be felt with your fingernail, you might be able to buff them out like new.

noche_caliente
June 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Sorry to hear about that Greg. I've missed you posting- where have you been hiding lately?

CC Cowboy
June 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM
If the tank bag has magnets why would you want to staple it also?

Snake
June 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I have a tank bag that I take on and off the bike. I never thought of checking the bottom before putting it on. Thanks for the heads up.

addy126
June 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
That thing happened to my 2nd month into my new 2007 N-250! I was working on putting the alarm system in and laid aside the lockwashers. Next day I come back from work wonderin how these scratches got on my bike tank. Next day same dam thing. Found 1 more small scratch.. I was getting ticked! Then looking at my tank bag in the house.. found one of those damned lockwashers stickin to one of the side magnets of the Manta Bag.. So thats where the extra washer vanished, so what idiot would not pay attention to where they placed the bag on the ground... that would me!:mad:

00v_Lucky
June 15th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Oh shoot, I never thought about this! Thanks Greg.

Blue Ninja 250R
June 15th, 2009, 01:18 AM
:happy90::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:If the tank bag has magnets why would you want to staple it also?

Skidro
June 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I'm actually in the market for a tankbag and a buddy of mine suggested a strap down bag, he's experienced the scratches from the magnetic bag & said it's easier to gas up by releasing one strap instead of removing the whole bag.

Nemy
June 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm actually in the market for a tankbag and a buddy of mine suggested a strap down bag, he's experienced the scratches from the magnetic bag & said it's easier to gas up by releasing one strap instead of removing the whole bag.

but the strap down ones usually go under the tank no? So unless you take off your tank everytime (which is a PITA), wouldn't you have straps sticking out when you're not using the bag and potentially flinging around and making scratches?

Daeldren
June 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I have also noticed problems with the manta bag leaving texture on the clear coat, it seems to go away after a day but it still makes me paranoid.

Skidro
June 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I guess there are pros & cons to just about everything. I'm just not sure which bag to order, hate to order one & it not look or fit good on my bike.

addy126
June 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Don't the straps leave rub marks on the paint from wind flap or bike vibration much as they do on car bras....? They all say "no scratch" yet in a month or two I found the "wind flapping" with my Wrangler leaving marks under the "no scratch bra". They don't even rub out with rubbing compound.

Blue Ninja 250R
June 16th, 2009, 12:54 AM
off topic question. Did anyone notice is there any differences in term of fuel consumption with and without a magnetic tankbags on?

addy126
June 16th, 2009, 08:03 PM
off topic question. Did anyone notice is there any differences in term of fuel consumption with and without a magnetic tankbags on?

Nope not for me... considering that the windshield flows the air over bag so no drag... and I don't think anybody really overloads them due to the limitation of size.

CC Cowboy
June 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Since gas is no longer "leaded" the magnetic bags will not effect gas mileage.

2WheelGuy
June 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Magnetic tank bags cut fuel costs, increase horsepower, reduce emissions and cure global warming:

http://www.eknockmarketing.com/index.php

2WheelGuy
June 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I've been using magnetic tank bags for years and have yet to scratch my paint but I do see how it can happen. I always check the magnets before I attach the bag.