View Full Version : speedometer / odometer disconnected

IlBLisSlI
June 15th, 2009, 05:59 AM
so i took my bike to the shop this weekend to get new tires mounted and have it checked up and stuff. well i got it back and didn't really notice till last night that the speedometer / odometer are no longer working.
i can't remember if they were working on the way home from the shop or not. its possible that i may have knocked something loose when i was washing and waxing it yesterday.

anywho the question is, where is the speedo cable hooked up at? can someone show me a picture of it. i don't want to have to bring it back down to the shop if its something i can quickly hook back up myself.

I've got an 06

Thanks.

Alex
June 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Left side of the front axle.

tapdiggy
June 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM
The speedometer cable connects to the back of the gauge cluster, specifically the threaded tube directly behind the speedometer. The other end connects at the wheel hub on the left side. There is another threaded tube there. If the cable is connected at these locations and the speedo still doesn't function, try removing the connection at the wheel and making sure it is oriented properly. The end of the inner cable should have a fork in it. If it does, place it back into the hub and try to rotate the inner cable with your fingers. If it rotates, the fork isn't engaging the internals properly. Wiggle and twist it around until it seats. You will know it is in place when most of the end is seated in the hub, almost up to the actual braided cable.

beowuff
June 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
It's mentioned here:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Reattaching_the_speedometer_cable_%26_retainer
that the cable can pop out... There's directions on how to fix it.

IlBLisSlI
June 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
just what i needed fellas. thanks i'll take a look at it tonight

IlBLisSlI
June 16th, 2009, 08:00 AM
i didn't get a chance to check it last night and i really should have.
apparently it wasn't the connection at the wheel that was bad it was at the cluster.
i found this out when i got to work this morning and noticed my speedo cable laying on the ground under the bike.
looks like i'm going to need to zip tie that cable to something so it doesn't catch on anything or get damaged on the ride home till i fix it.

Banzai
June 16th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Click here, this may help (http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Reattaching_the_speedometer_cable_%26_retainer)

IlBLisSlI
June 16th, 2009, 08:26 AM
got that link already a few posts above you but thanks anyway ;)

Banzai
June 16th, 2009, 08:46 AM
got that link already a few posts above you but thanks anyway ;)

:thumbup:

Locktite is your friend! Just stay away from the red for anything you might want to take apart again some day.