View Full Version : Springtime safety

adouglas
March 18th, 2015, 01:48 PM
A couple of days ago a guy on Long Island died when he hit a pothole and was thrown off his bike. Tragic.... he had a wife and one-year-old baby. I don't know about the details, gear situation or what... all I know is that it should not have happened.

This year, because of the unusually harsh winter we had up here, I've seen more potholes than I can remember. The roads are in awful shape.

Plus there's the usual sand, gravel and salt everywhere.

Everyone, as the weather warms up we all get spring fever and WANT TO RIDE.

Please, PLEASE take it slow and be extra-careful until the roads are in better shape. You may be more than ready, but the roads you ride on are not.

FWIW, at this time of year I pass the time during my commute scouting road conditions. I mentally note every new pothole and patch of gravel on my route. It really matters for the first few weeks. I've already found a few new surprises this spring.

http://media.timesreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/riverheadnewsreview/files/David-_-son.jpg

alex.s
March 18th, 2015, 01:49 PM
or just move south

crazymadbastard
March 18th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Good post for sure, I hit plenty in my SUV and cringed. Can't imagine hitting one on the moto.
Be safe!
W

adouglas
March 18th, 2015, 02:25 PM
or just move south

http://www.farstudio.net/FarArt/2011/Valentine/biteme.jpg

:D:D:D

csmith12
March 18th, 2015, 02:31 PM
:werd:

Jono
March 18th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Roads were ****** here before the harsh winter. And now there are some massive potholes that I don't see getting fixed properly any time soon. I'll just keep my eyes open and leave enough space when I'm behind cars to react properly when I see these newly formed craters.

kdogg2077
March 20th, 2015, 09:15 AM
+1 to the idea of scouting the roads beforehand. In early spring I like to drive on my favorite roads to check their condition and then maybe take my bike on them later.

I took my bike the gas station for fresh gas and air yesterday. I had to navigate around patches of shale at nearly every turn.

I probably won't ride it much until April.

DEFY
March 20th, 2015, 09:22 AM
At some point I'm going to stop thinking they are potholes and start believing that they are actually sinkholes. The roads just s*ck a*s round here.

LittleRedNinjette
March 20th, 2015, 09:35 AM
I've been doing the scouting thing. Probably scout out my weekend roads soon.

I've already seen some pothole i think i could fall into on the bike and never be found.

CC Cowboy
March 20th, 2015, 09:42 AM
I always try to avoid the pot ho, but sometimes they are in the middle of the road.

verboten1
March 20th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I was riding the KLR saturday and I blew past a squid in my neighborhood going about 5 MPH in the wet road full of holes. then I gunned it across a big pothole and never saw him again lol

be careful, or ride the bike for the job :P