View Full Version : Wheel weights

cadd
March 18th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Can anyone recommend a specific type/brand of wheel weights to purchase?

I'm planning on mounting and balancing new tires in the near future.

Stick-on weights ok? Does it have to be motorcycle specific weights or will car wheel weights do the trick?

Singh2jz
March 18th, 2015, 03:49 PM
here's some info (http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_can_I_balance_the_tires_by_myself%3F)..

cadd
March 18th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Thanks!! Will the axle be long enough if I use jackstands (for a car) to balance them?

Motofool
March 18th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Can anyone recommend a specific type/brand of wheel weights to purchase?

In order to avoid dynamic imbalance, use the stick-on-flat type located by the center-line of the wheel.

Those are available from hobby shops.

Yes, the axle is long enough to work properly between two car stands.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4RzG24GJ0r92qgE-AhITC8spnhaibOTGT0jLFF8CxrmltT1aWnQ

cuong-nutz
March 18th, 2015, 04:14 PM
I can't remember which brand of stick on weights I had last but they were a PITA to remove. the sticky stuff was hard to remove.

Ghostt
March 18th, 2015, 09:10 PM
forget the external weights, get yourself Dynabeads, and be done with balancing your wheels, for the entire life of the tyres.

No worries about rebalancing, they constantly changing and keeping the tyres balanced at all times.

I've used them for many years, and my vehicles, Its physics, their simple, they work, end of story

http://innovativebalancing.com

cbinker
March 18th, 2015, 09:38 PM
forget the external weights, get yourself Dynabeads, and be done with balancing your wheels, for the entire life of the tyres.

No worries about rebalancing, they constantly changing and keeping the tyres balanced at all times.

I've used them for many years, and my vehicles, Its physics, their simple, they work, end of story

http://innovativebalancing.com

i am lazy how about a link to the price and purchase option.

Ghostt
March 18th, 2015, 10:03 PM
i am lazy how about a link to the price and purchase option.

Seriously????

http://innovativebalancing.com/mobile/product_grp.php?grp=3

DBS-BP2 Bike Pack - (1) 1 oz + (1) 2 oz + Applicator $16.20

OR

Motorcycle Tire Balancing Beads 3oz Kit + FREE Offer see description
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=200953853375&alt=web

cbinker
March 18th, 2015, 10:05 PM
beyond seriously.

Ghostt
March 18th, 2015, 10:10 PM
beyond seriously.

:thumbup:

I'll even install them for you, just stop on over anytime.

cbinker
March 18th, 2015, 10:11 PM
clearly that is too far to go.

Ghostt
March 18th, 2015, 10:14 PM
clearly that is too far to go.

I'm dead serious.

I always leave a light on for all forum members

LittleRedNinjette
March 19th, 2015, 04:30 AM
+1 on the beads. My boyfriend and i have these: http://www.compacc.com/p/counteract-balancing-motorcycle-tire-balancing-beads

InvisiBill
March 19th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Ride-On (http://www.ride-onshop.com/) tire sealant also has a balancing effect.

If you're considering it (seems to be more of a thing for cruisers rather than sport bikes), do some research. At least some people say it's not nearly as easy to clean up as the marketing materials make it out to be.

cbinker
March 19th, 2015, 07:31 AM
I am going to have to give those a try.

Ghostt
March 19th, 2015, 07:49 AM
I am going to have to give those a try.

Which one's?

Ghostt
March 19th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Ride-On (http://www.ride-onshop.com/) tire sealant also has a balancing effect.

If you're considering it (seems to be more of a thing for cruisers rather than sport bikes), do some research. At least some people say it's not nearly as easy to clean up as the marketing materials make it out to be.

I've looked into these style products, I'm going to try this style next tyre change, as I do a lot of riding on these awesome Kentucky back roads, which also means being stuck in the middle of nowhere, and some seldom traveled roads, and even no cellphone service. Also when I do my touring as well.

I might even try it in my Chevrolet Blazer 4WD, as I do use the 4WD often.

flitecontrol
March 19th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Ride-On is good stuff! it doesn't care whether the tire is on a cruiser, standard, tourer or sport bike. It treats them all the same. :bounce:

LittleRedNinjette
March 19th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Looks like Slime for bikes. You can't use that with the beads, good idea though.

Ghostt
March 19th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Looks like Slime for bikes. You can't use that with the beads, good idea though.

Nope, definitely not but it does give another option, along with puncture protection as well.

As I said I'll probably try it first in my Blazer, due to it has old school lead on it now, and the bikes already have Dynabeads.

That and changing a flat tire suxs on the Blazer!!

LittleRedNinjette
March 19th, 2015, 11:10 AM
We got a flat in my boyfriends old Bronco. That suked.

Ghostt
March 19th, 2015, 11:14 AM
We got a flat in my boyfriends old Bronco. That suked.

Agreed, and having one while your out fourwheeling definitely suxs.

LittleRedNinjette
March 19th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Or you have wheel on it with deep bolt holes and not the right socket to get in them. :rolleyes:

flitecontrol
March 19th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Ride-On is similar to Slime in that both are flowable liquids when installed, but the similarities end there. Once ride-On is installed, they recommend you go for a 10 mile ride or so. This distributes the Ride-On along the center of the tire, and it stays there for the life of the tire. That's where its tire balancing properties come from. If you get a puncture, air pressure will force the Ride-On into the hole and seal it.

LittleRedNinjette
March 19th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Thats cool. Maybe i'll try that for my next set of tires.

Ghostt
March 19th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Ride-On is similar to Slime in that both are flowable liquids when installed, but the similarities end there. Once ride-On is installed, they recommend you go for a 10 mile ride or so. This distributes the Ride-On along the center of the tire, and it stays there for the life of the tire. That's where its tire balancing properties come from. If you get a puncture, air pressure will force the Ride-On into the hole and seal it.

Interesting, I wonder if it remains in a liquid state, or semi-dries and not as viscous??

If so it wouldn't constantly be adjusting to the balance of the tire, like Dynabeads do.

I'm off to send an email to them with this exact question.

LittleRedNinjette
March 19th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Good point, but if it just stays where it needs to be it would still work. No different than the stick on weights, right?

flitecontrol
March 19th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure how to describe it after the initial ride. It's still sort of "wet" in appearance, but as mentioned previously, doesn't move around, at least not noticeably. It may be that the centrifugal force gets rid of some of the moisture. I guess the best description of the looks and texture would be clear silicone after it's spread but before it dries. It does remain flowable enough to move into any punctures.

As Teri pointed out, once it has been spread around the inside of the tire, there is no need for it to "rebalance" the tire on every ride like Dynabeads. The tire will be balanced for the rest of its lifespan.

Ghostt
March 19th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Tires wear would suggest the need to constant adjustments to the balance, and also eliminates to rebalancing the tyres.

Although one has to weigh the benefits of self-sealing tyres.

flitecontrol
March 19th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Once balanced, I've never needed to rebalance a motorcycle tire. But that only covers about 10-12 tires, so I'm no expert.

I would assume that once a motorcycle tire is balanced, and if it wears evenly, further balancing wouldn't be needed. Automotive tires can throw a weight, the wheel could cup, or any number of things that could lead to needing to rebalance a cage tire.

The main reason I have Ride-On in all my tubeless motorcycle tires is for flat protection. Having a motorcycle flat on the road is something I never want to experience.

Ghostt
March 19th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Once balanced, I've never needed to rebalance a motorcycle tire. But that only covers about 10-12 tires, so I'm no expert.

I would assume that once a motorcycle tire is balanced, and if it wears evenly, further balancing wouldn't be needed. Automotive tires can throw a weight, the wheel could cup, or any number of things that could lead to needing to rebalance a cage tire.

The main reason I have Ride-On in all my tubeless motorcycle tires is for flat protection. Having a motorcycle flat on the road is something I never want to experience.

All flats just sux in general.:thumbup:

cbinker
April 10th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Seriously????

http://innovativebalancing.com/mobile/product_grp.php?grp=3

DBS-BP2 Bike Pack - (1) 1 oz + (1) 2 oz + Applicator $16.20

OR

Motorcycle Tire Balancing Beads 3oz Kit + FREE Offer see description
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=200953853375&alt=web

I just ordered 5 packs of these new valve cores, valve covers and valve core removal tool. I am good for 5 tire changes!

Ghostt
April 10th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I just ordered 5 packs of these new valve stems, valve covers and valve removal tool. I am good for 5 tire changes!

Be sure to report back once you've tried them.

cbinker
April 10th, 2015, 04:01 PM
I will be replacing tires as soon as these new toys get here.

alex.s
April 10th, 2015, 04:17 PM
haha..... uhhhhhh...... you guys know these are free at cyclegear right? also those ballance beads are total bullshit....

cbinker
April 10th, 2015, 05:51 PM
what is your experience with them?

LittleRedNinjette
April 11th, 2015, 06:15 AM
I've actually been on the bike with them now and they are awesome. No issues.

Not sure why some hate them. We've had nothing but good experience with them in our bikes.

iliveforcurves
April 11th, 2015, 04:06 PM
I got some Ride on when I got new tires for my Valkyrie last year. I wanted to do away with the ugly wheel weights. The puncture sealing feature was a positive thing too. The mfr claims longer tire life, etc. I was a little surprised at how much it weighed, the amount required is based on tire size and the Valk has big tires (150/80-17 front, 180/70-16 rear). The stuff has been working so far, the only funny thing about it is after the bike sits for a week, the stuff settles to the low point of the tire. The next time I ride it feels like I have square wheels for about a mile until it gets redistributed. I would recommend it for regular riding but for a track bike I would use weights for less unsprung weight.

cbinker
April 11th, 2015, 05:00 PM
I got some Ride on when I got new tires for my Valkyrie last year. I wanted to do away with the ugly wheel weights. The puncture sealing feature was a positive thing too. The mfr claims longer tire life, etc. I was a little surprised at how much it weighed, the amount required is based on tire size and the Valk has big tires (150/80-17 front, 180/70-16 rear). The stuff has been working so far, the only funny thing about it is after the bike sits for a week, the stuff settles to the low point of the tire. The next time I ride it feels like I have square wheels for about a mile until it gets redistributed. I would recommend it for regular riding but for a track bike I would use weights for less unsprung weight.

its only 4 ounces of unsprung weight, there is probably that much dirt on the rim.

Ghostt
April 11th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Only 4 oz of dirt, I bet mine have more than that LOL

alex.s
April 11th, 2015, 05:24 PM
those who like the beads- how out of balance is the tire/wheel combo with no weights, and have you ever ridden one that was unbalanced by more than a couple ounces?

Ghostt
April 11th, 2015, 05:31 PM
I have removed lead weights, then installed them, and yes I have just to feel the difference with beads installed.

I like the easy installation, and constantly balancing the tire, install and forget for the everyday rider.

I'm not a track rider.

dcj13
April 11th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Yes. Dyna beads work.

But so will sand, lead shot, oil, water, mercury, dirt, really anything that is in small pieces and 2 ounces per rear tire, 1 ounce front.

The reason the rest of us use lead weights is because it weighs a lot less that 2 or 1 ounce per wheel.

Remember that discussion about unsprung weight?

dcj13
April 11th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Not to mention rotational mass moment of inertia...

cbinker
April 11th, 2015, 09:22 PM
unsprung weight is a constantly changing variable, as tires wear they get lighter.

alex.s
April 11th, 2015, 10:02 PM
1/2 ounce vs 2 ounce.... and you're talking about unsprung weight? when the wheel, tire, brakes, and lowers are upwards of 40lbs if not more?

alex.s
April 11th, 2015, 10:05 PM
dyna beads, sand, water (water is extremely stupid btw, expands at a huge rate when the tire gets hot sending your pressure through the roof) are all fine ways of balancing something moving at a consistent rate. however tires on motorcycles do not move at a consistent rate. you brake. and accelerate. what happens to those mobile weights when this happens? they move. obviously. you are creating temporary imbalances. the only way to have a balanced rotating assembly is to --> BALANCE IT <--

cadd
April 11th, 2015, 11:18 PM
I am ashamed to say, I ghetto balanced my tires. I mounted the tires on. Balanced them statically using jack stands. I removed the old weight.

I didn't have a new weight. Was too lazy and was to eager to go for a ride that I didn't want to run out to the store to grab some.

So what did I do? I reused the old weight. But it was too heavy.

I took out my nifty Dremel and started grinding the weight little by little. Within 5 mins, I had a perfectly balanced wheel.

The weight just looks like someone chewed on it =)

LittleRedNinjette
April 12th, 2015, 07:19 AM
The beads work fine for me and my BF. We are not track riders and have no intention of becoming track riders. And if that makes a difference then maybe for those of you that do or will be doing track, this may not be for you.

Personally? I'll be using the beads from now on. I have a very good opinion of them.

dcj13
April 12th, 2015, 10:06 AM
dyna beads, sand, water (water is extremely stupid btw, expands at a huge rate when the tire gets hot sending your pressure through the roof) are all fine ways of balancing something moving at a consistent rate. however tires on motorcycles do not move at a consistent rate. you brake. and accelerate. what happens to those mobile weights when this happens? they move. obviously. you are creating temporary imbalances. the only way to have a balanced rotating assembly is to --> BALANCE IT <--

All true!

It's not so much the unsprung mass. It's the rotational mass moment of inertia. And, like you say, the continual going in and out of balance.

I'll stick with the static balance and stick-on weights.

cbinker
April 23rd, 2015, 09:56 PM
Finished up using beads in the tires on the BMW. A few things to consider before buying beads:

1. If you have a sophisticated traction control system like the BMW, do not use beads. The traction control light will be flashing the entire time, because if there is any slight change in the rear wheel, the controls come into play.
2. Do not try to put the beads in through the Valve, put the tire on the rim, throw the beads in the the tire, then seat the tire.
3. Riding felt fine, just rode to and from work max speed at 60 mph.

LittleRedNinjette
April 24th, 2015, 02:35 AM
I know it's a pita to go through the valve but if you put the beads in 1st you could lose them when trying to seat the tire I would think. I could be wrong as I've never done that part my self but I've seen my other half do it and it seems like they may blow out. Especially if your having a hard time or the tire is being particularly stubborn.
Maybe I'm just overly paranoid. Lol

cbinker
April 24th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I know it's a pita to go through the valve but if you put the beads in 1st you could lose them when trying to seat the tire I would think. I could be wrong as I've never done that part my self but I've seen my other half do it and it seems like they may blow out. Especially if your having a hard time or the tire is being particularly stubborn.
Maybe I'm just overly paranoid. Lol

I seated my tires, then popped one side put the beads in then reseated them with no lost beads.

LittleRedNinjette
April 24th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Thats good, i still wouldn't personally. But thats me. Like i said, paranoid.

Did the beads not want to got through the valve? Plastic or metal valves? Just curious.

csmith12
April 24th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Did the beads not want to got through the valve? Plastic or metal valves? Just curious.

TPS (Tire Pressure Sensor) systems are normally attached to the valve stem. You don't wanna be messing those up by forcing beads through there. It seems, they mess up often enough on their own without any help from anything else. :rolleyes:

cbinker
April 24th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Thats good, i still wouldn't personally. But thats me. Like i said, paranoid.

they would not flow in smoothly, they got backed up and it was taking too long to put the beads in. i would have to squeeze the tire with out spraying beads everywhere then rotate the tire to try to suck the beads in through the valve.

LittleRedNinjette
April 24th, 2015, 10:50 AM
That sounds like the issue we had. Took FOREVER to get them in. My other half thinks if we had put in metal valves instead of the plastic ones it would have helped. thats what he has on his bike and they didn't give him a problem.
Thats our best guess anyway.
At least they're in! :thumbup:

dcj13
April 24th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Old school lead or iron stick-on weights don't perturbate such problems.

(Yeah, yeah, all hail dyna-beads. Whatever.)

LittleRedNinjette
April 25th, 2015, 10:29 AM
To each their own, relax. :p

Ghostt
April 25th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Old school lead or iron stick-on weights don't perturbate such problems.

(Yeah, yeah, all hail dyna-beads. Whatever.)

:allhail:

csmith12
April 26th, 2015, 10:07 AM
they would not flow in smoothly, they got backed up and it was taking too long to put the beads in. i would have to squeeze the tire with out spraying beads everywhere then rotate the tire to try to suck the beads in through the valve.

Next time you install them via the valve stem, take your cordless drill and spin it up. Gently rub the tube, the vibration from the spinning chuck will prevent much of the cloggin'.

Tip: Take a trip to the mall. In many malls, in the back corner is a store called Spensers. They sell many items that are "adult" only. Maybe you can acquire something there that vibrates as well. :bounce:

cbinker
May 1st, 2015, 05:54 AM
i found time to do some adjustments on the rear wheel and now it is all good. must have been out of alignment, because now my TC is not flashing constantly.

GregS
May 3rd, 2015, 10:01 AM
I've used the beads in quite a few bikes and they work very well. Never could get the damn things to go through the valve stem though, so I would just add them as I was mounting the tires.

They are not recommended for track use, as the tires will get hot enough that the beads will tend to stick to the inside rather than being free to roll around inside. I still use them on my street bike though.

flitecontrol
May 3rd, 2015, 05:56 PM

I've never experienced the Ride On settling to the bottom of the tire. I do know that they recommend a specific amount be added to a certain size tire. It may be that there was too much Ride On in your tires. I've examined worn out tires that had Ride On in them, and the material would not move, even when I rubbed my finger against it.