View Full Version : Kick stand sinking into asphalt?

Duvivr6
June 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM
is the 250 heavy enough to see this happen its getting pretty hot lately in OKC and some one told me about it, I have no clue?:confused:

BlueTyke
June 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I think it depends on the asphalt and how long the bike is there. My Tyke has never parked long enough for this to happen. Phil's dad has had his Harley parked out front for a few days and it has sunk into the asphalt.

Custom Seat Creations
June 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
is the 250 heavy enough to see this happen its getting pretty hot lately in OKC and some one told me about it, I have no clue?:confused:

It sure will. You have a few options to put under your kickstand to provide more of a surface area:

1. A flat rock
2. a crushed aluminum can
3. a kickstand plate http://kickstandplate.com/

sombo
June 16th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Yes it can. I've seen it do this with my own in the parking lot here at the apartment. I have one spot where there's like half a dozen little indents into the asphalt from the kickstand. I kept moving it slightly so it didn't go in too far until I finally got around to getting a crushed can to put under it. If it's a rather hot and humid day, I will put the can under the kickstand if I stop anywhere for longer then like 5 minutes and ALWAYS use it at home where I know it'll be parked for hours on end.

Banzai
June 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Yes, it can and will happen, especially if it's newer ashpault on a very hot day. I had a close call with my last bike, and ever since every bike I've owned, and every friend I have that's owned a bike, has had one of those kick stand plates from the link that Becky posted. They're all over ebay, too, at juat a little cheaper and in a variety of colors. My current one matches the Kawi green!

Most people don't get what the hole is for, either. It's for putting a string through and looping it around one of your grips. When you mount the bike and stand it up, you pull the string, roll it up around the plate, and put the plate in your jacket pocket. That way, you never forget it. If you do, it'll be trailing along behind you and you'll remember it quickly. Also, you won't have to do some crazy anal aerobics to pick up the plate without getting off or dropping the bike.

They work well when having to park on dirt or gravel, as well.

Duvivr6
June 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I guess i might have to invest in a little plate then just to be safe!

tinng321
June 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
i use a flat piece of stone.

capt_bugaloo
June 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I use a crushed beer or pop can if available.

Snake
June 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I use a plastic plate shaped like a foot that I carry with me.

noche_caliente
June 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
My dad always used a crushed soda can, so that's what I use- recycling, right? :)

adouglas
June 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM
People will buy anything.

I just cut a little square of scrap plywood, small enough to fit in my pocket (maybe 3 inches square), drilled a hole and put a string through it with a loop in the other end to hang on my bars.

Cost of wood: $0
Cost of string: $0

Having it in your pocket, readily available for parking on gravel, dirt, grass or any other soft surface when you need it: Priceless.

Having the string there to remind you to raise the kickstand: Priceless squared, since it can keep you from going down as you ride off.

headshrink
June 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Blank metal J-Box cover from Home Cheapo (suggestion from MSF instructor).

darthnip
June 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
i use an empty altoids mint box without the lid. my wife eats those things so i got tons of them around the house for stashing stuff in.

minuslars
June 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I use a kickstand plate I got for free at the MSF course :D

Sailariel
July 2nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
I use a 4" Square piece of 1/4" plywood with a string attached. Fits nicely in my tank bag. So far--no problems.

smcbride11
July 2nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Blank metal J-Box cover from Home Cheapo (suggestion from MSF instructor).

Good call. I've got an extra one of those in my garage that I don't think I'll ever use.

Bsmith
July 2nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
I got one with my bike from the dealer.

anka
June 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Currently using a can...but this...THIS!!!

http://www.kickstandkritters.com/v/vspfiles/photos/flfr-09yr01-2.jpg

http://www.kickstandkritters.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=flfr%2D09yr01

Do you all think someone might try to steal it?

Alex
June 25th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Cute! :)

headshrink
June 25th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Cute indeed. My only hesitation with such cutness, would be getting my bike knocked over by some jackar$e trying to steal my frog!

CRXTrek
June 25th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Currently using a can...but this...THIS!!!

http://www.kickstandkritters.com/v/vspfiles/photos/flfr-09yr01-2.jpg

http://www.kickstandkritters.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=flfr%2D09yr01

Do you all think someone might try to steal it?
If they did they may drop the bike
:welcome: to the forum.

Cazper
June 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I've had mine sink in while parked at work... I don't usually park it anywhere else for long periods except in my garage but that is concrete. I plan to ask the dealership when I take it in for the 600 mi service as someone mentioned to me they got a free one from the same dealership I bought my bike, I just forgot to ask.