View Full Version : Ker Plunk

paterick4o8
June 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Yesterday me, some riding buddies, along with some other new faces but experienced riders hit up hwy 9>35>84.. a popular but new weekday route we've started riding before sunset.. particularly because of the few cars, bicyclists, and Cops there during this time of the week

It's a fun route and is probably not the best one for newbies, unless you're going SLOW the whole time.

Most us hit this route at a medium pace: http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111918611987207281024.00046bcb65c0da3ff2849&z=11

We split up into 2 groups mostly because we had about 12 riders and wanted to make the group smaller for safety. I swept the 1st group on 9 & 84, but led them on 35 on a more spirited pace.

The lead on 84 took a spill into some dirt on his 07 R6.. he said something about he felt he lost his rear traction in a turn and so he straightened up and braked hard before going in the the dirt. Miraculously, he was unhurt and it was soft dirt which pretty much saved his bike from all but thin and barely noticeable scratches, and broken turn signal. He was able to ride the rest of the way just fine.

The second incident involved group 2, a pregen EX250.. poor guy said he was too wide during a turn and went over the edge. His bike into a tree/ditch about 10 feet down the side of the road. This happened while the first rider went down, but we all didn't know until we headed back to look for them. He too was okay besides a small cut on his foot.. he had no boots or riding pants, but had pucks underneath. The bike on the other hand was unrideable. First of all, it was in a position downhill where none of us could get it out safely. Also, the parts were all bent up.. handlebar, shifter, etc. We had to leave it there and he's supposed to get a truck to pick it up today. Luckily our friend was nearby to meet us up already in his cage, so he gave the rider a ride home.

We all use this to analyze how to avoid such incidents. To be honest, I knew he was a newer rider than the rest of us, but he's been riding with us before and had been on the route with us last week, so I trusted in his judgment. Also, we never pressure anyone to ride beyond their limits. Obviously, he chose to push it more than usual this day. Hope to see him back with us soon tho.

Cali619
June 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM
The 84 looks like a pretzel , speedy recovery for the fallen...

Snake
June 18th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Wow I always hate to hear when a biker goes down but this is realy going down.

Strider
June 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Damn, I think this whole year is cursed! Everyone seems to be going down!

Glad there were no major injuries involved all around ...

kkim
June 18th, 2009, 07:51 PM
The second incident involved group 2, a pregen EX250.. poor guy said he was too wide during a turn and went over the edge. His bike into a tree/ditch about 10 feet down the side of the road. This happened while the first rider went down, but we all didn't know until we headed back to look for them. He too was okay besides a small cut on his foot.. he had no boots or riding pants, but had pucks underneath. The bike on the other hand was unrideable. First of all, it was in a position downhill where none of us could get it out safely. Also, the parts were all bent up.. handlebar, shifter, etc. We had to leave it there and he's supposed to get a truck to pick it up today. Luckily our friend was nearby to meet us up already in his cage, so he gave the rider a ride home.

hope you told him about ninjette and he joins up. the gear nazis here would have had him wearing the proper equipment for the ride.

sounds like you guys need to screen who you take along and make sure their riding abilities match the route.

xTKx
June 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM
hope you told him about ninjette and he joins up. the gear nazis here would have had him wearing the proper equipment for the ride.

sounds like you guys need to screen who you take along and make sure their riding abilities match the route.

+1000 Though it seems like many have fallen (not just Ninjette users), this is a HUGE factor!

Some of the country roads where I live have pretty sharp 90 degree corners and I took one too quickly. Thank God my MSF knowledge came into play. I straightened up in the corner (similar to your first story) to do a quick stop; then continued through the corner at a slower speed. Had I not taken the MSF course or known my own personal limitations, I guarantee I would've taken a spill that day. :o

capt_bugaloo
June 19th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I am amazed at all the many stories I read on here and other moto forums about group rides involving crashes.

This is exactly why I avoid riding in groups; my observation is that in a group ride most of these crashes involve someone riding over his/her head to keep up with faster riders and loses control.

When you ride alone, you set your own pace and just ride your own ride, no one else's.

paterick4o8
June 20th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I am amazed at all the many stories I read on here and other moto forums about group rides involving crashes.

This is exactly why I avoid riding in groups; my observation is that in a group ride most of these crashes involve someone riding over his/her head to keep up with faster riders and loses control.

When you ride alone, you set your own pace and just ride your own ride, no one else's.

I won't deny that you're right Bruce. Riding in a group where some riders are faster can pressure a rider to try and keep up, and go fast, especially in the straights to catch up.. right until they get to the corner, and come in too hot.

This is also where the rider needs to take responsibility and know when he/she is riding behind their limits. Last Saturday I went riding by myself and let another rider pass me (having a rider on my tail pressures me to go faster). I tried to keep up just to see, but realized he was more skilled than I, or at least his bike was too fast in the straights, and I knew I had to back off. I'm glad I did back off, because if I didn't I just may have gone down.

Update on the rider: he at least got his bike back. I heard now that it's really only his handlebars that are broken, wth? From how the bike looked I would have expected worst.

Kkim, I'll see if I can get him on here to join the fellow Ninjette brothers and sisters