View Full Version : Should I get a servicing?

fsmonster
April 5th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Quick and dirty.

Bought my bike back in July. I only road it for about 300 miles before some serious life issues popped up. I'd say it's been sitting in storage for about 6 months and in the next week or two is going to be shipped from Dallas to Las Vegas. It was in perfect condition, but I'm wondering if it'll be safe to ride after all that? Should I make my first ride to a shop to get it serviced or would it likely be just fine sticking to the manual schedule?

What are some things I should be looking for? I know to check oil level, give tire a kick, make sure lights are working and all that. Would the oil be bad by now, tire damage from storage on the kickstand?

Thanks and forgove my newbness.

Alex
April 5th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Check oil level, check tire pressure, and do what you can to either replace or at least burn through the old gas in the tank to get some fresh in. One advantage of the FI in the 300 is that it is more tolerant to a few months of storage. I wouldn't think the service schedule would need to be changed much at all.

fsmonster
April 5th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Thank you good sir!

I'll look up how to drain/replace it...

For burning through it, would that just be a lot of high rpm riding or leave the thing on idle all day? Lol

Daks
April 5th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I haven't had a servicing in 14 months but it doesn't take much to get me going. B)

But for real, definitely burn through the gas, check the tires. Ride it a bit at various speeds and take note of any strong smells.

Trailerboy531
April 5th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Burn through = ride the thing. Don't idle it for extended time, that's called overheating.

It's fairly easy to dump. Go with that and add fresh gas.

greenaero
April 6th, 2015, 10:06 AM
^^^^ this!

If the bike starts up OK , I'd just run the moto until it's near empty and refill with fresh gasoline. Excessive idling is a waste and not good for your moto.