View Full Version : fell with no gear

backinthesaddleagain
June 20th, 2009, 08:25 AM
No helmet, no gloves, tshirt, shorts, and sneakers only. Tucked my chin to my chest to avoid hitting my head on the pavement. Just some cuts on my hands as I grabbed the ladder on the way down. Luckily the ninja was in the garage and not near my crashing ladder.

Seriously though you never know when/where/how an accident will happen. I was cleaning a clogged gutter in the rain. Only fell about 8 feet but that ladder made a mess of my hands.

Strider
June 20th, 2009, 08:45 AM
ouch Greg! Glad you didn't break your leg!

rceezy
June 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Wow, I'm sorry to hear! I always joke about wearing gear 24/7! :)

noche_caliente
June 20th, 2009, 09:07 AM
well, I guess now you've learned not to clean the gutter in the rain ;)
glad you're mostly ok!

backinthesaddleagain
June 20th, 2009, 09:29 AM
yeah, should probably clean those things in the day when not raining out. it was overflowing at night and i was like - hey i am wet already from getting caught in the rain. came down on both feet while leaned back. sore butt and lower back to go with my hands.

now next time someone says "how can you ride anything as dangerous as a motorcycle I can say how dangerous a ladder can be"

backinthesaddleagain
June 20th, 2009, 09:30 AM
maybe if i left my helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots on I would have gotten up and cleaned the rest of those gutters that night!

Snake
June 20th, 2009, 11:28 AM
You had me going there I thought we had onother member go down. Glad you are ok.

CC Cowboy
June 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Crashin sux; no matter where or how.

You are considered a risk taker (motorcyle rider, gutter cleaner). For the benefit of all the other risk takers;

Gutter Flusher (F9362)
Blasts away leaves in seconds! Handy garden hose attachment creates a highpower jet stream that loosens and clears stubborn leaves and gunk from gutters. Telescopes from 34" to 56" to extend your reach nearly 6 feet. Nozzle rotates to direct spray. Poly/aluminum with on/off valve.
$10.98Now: $8.50

I feel that after this life threatening experience I need to post this also;

Consumer Product Safety Alert
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPSC Media Contact: Mark Ross
(301) 504-7076

CPSC Offers Safety Tips to Prevent Ladder Injuries

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Each year there are more than 164,000 emergency room-treated injuries in the U.S. relating to ladders. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) offers the following safety precautions to help prevent these injuries.

Make sure the weight your ladder is supporting does not exceed its maximum load rating (user plus materials). There should only be one person on the ladder at one time.

Use a ladder that is the proper length for the job. Proper length is a minimum of 3 feet extending over the roofline or working surface. The three top rungs of a straight, single or extension ladder should not be stood on.

Straight, single or extension ladders should be set up at about a 75-degree angle.

All metal ladders should have slip-resistant feet.

Metal ladders will conduct electricity. Use a wooden or fiberglass ladder in the vicinity of power lines or electrical equipment. Do not let a ladder made from any material contact live electric wires.

Be sure all locks on extension ladders are properly engaged.

The ground under the ladder should be level and firm. Large flat wooden boards braced under the ladder can level a ladder on uneven ground or soft ground. A good practice is to have a helper hold the bottom of the ladder.

Do not place a ladder in front of a door that is not locked, blocked or guarded.

Keep your body centered between the rails of the ladder at all times. Do not lean too far to the side while working.

Do not use a ladder for any purpose other than that for which it was intended.

Do not step on the top step, bucket shelf or attempt to climb or stand on the rear section of a stepladder.

Never leave a raised ladder unattended.

Follow use instruction labels on ladders.

backinthesaddleagain
June 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM
thanks - sorry to mislead - should have put ladder in the thread name.

I guess my rule violations are in the dark, pouring rain.

My wife said this afternoon why is this tree so messed up. I guess i caught some of it that i didn't realize

miks
June 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I immediately thought of the worst. Glad to hear that you're okay mate.