View Full Version : Plasti Dipped My Helmet!

MurfNTurf
April 12th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Finally decided to plasti dip my Scorpion Exo-400. Bought it because it was half off but wasn't really digging the design, a little too girly for me. Found the plasti dip at Lowe's for 5.99 in the spray paint section.

I taped off all of the vents just because I didn't want to get them gunked up, and I used masking tape after running around for an hour trying to find painter's tape (obviously with no luck). Pics are just before spraying and then after the first coat.
35975 35976

I ended up doing 5 coats, and think it turned out pretty good! I waited about 20-25 minutes between each coat. Oh and if you're like me and freaked out about spraying over your shield, have no fear! It peeled off perfectly! Here's the end product!
35977 35978

Singh2jz
April 12th, 2015, 08:37 PM
That looks really good!

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but isn't painting bad for the helmet, or are they just trippin? They're also against stickers. :/

That paint job is sikk though :thumbup:

MrAtom
April 12th, 2015, 10:46 PM
That looks really good!

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but isn't painting bad for the helmet, or are they just trippin? They're also against stickers. :/

I always assumed that was bull crap

LNasty
April 13th, 2015, 01:02 AM
Let us know how it stands up to rocks, pebbles, large bugs, etc. Did you put any matte clear coat over it?

fishdip
April 13th, 2015, 01:21 AM
That looks really good!

Its a load of crap

MrAtom
April 13th, 2015, 01:31 AM
This reminds me. ive got a full can of some plasti dip glossifier that i never used. Its yours if you pay shipping.

Jono
April 14th, 2015, 06:17 PM
I have a feeling that's gonna be hard to keep clean.

But it does look good! Let us know how it goes.

jonuhhthinn
April 14th, 2015, 08:28 PM
That looks really good!

i wonder if its in case stickers or paint cover up visible damage on the helmet? osha has the same regulation on hard hats

alex.s
April 14th, 2015, 08:58 PM
That looks really good!

solvent based enamels containing things like toluene can begin to melt the polycarbonate plastic, yes.

so to those calling bullshit, why don't you ****ing learn to do some research before talking about safety equipment.

JohnnyBravo
April 14th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Grumpy much :rolleyes:

alex.s
April 14th, 2015, 09:13 PM
i don't like people talking out of their ass when it comes to jeopardizing other peoples safety.

LNasty
April 14th, 2015, 11:38 PM
On top of that, if any of the paint happened to some how get inside on the polystyrene foam, it can literally turn into a gel like goo (which is what your head will look like after a crash in it)