View Full Version : What do you see?

Ninja Rob
April 17th, 2015, 05:57 PM
What do you read? 41,179 miles or 4,179miles?

Fourty-one thousand or four thousand one hundred?

I never paid close attention to the mileage since when the guy sold it to me, he wrote on the receipt 36,000 and ever since then I thought it had that many miles. But today, I took a real good look at it.
What's an estimate range value on my bike?

fishdip
April 17th, 2015, 06:01 PM
What do you read? 41,179 miles or 4,179miles?

Fourty-one thousand or four thousand one hundred?

I never paid close attention to the mileage since when the guy sold it to me, he wrote on the receipt 36,000 and ever since then I thought it had that many miles. But today, I took a real good look at it.
What's an estimate range value on my bike?

4,179 and .1 1/2

Singh2jz
April 17th, 2015, 06:06 PM
yea thats 4,179..

Snake
April 17th, 2015, 06:19 PM
It clearly reads 4,179.

NevadaWolf
April 17th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Agreed, just about to roll to 4179.2.

Maybe the PO saw 3,600.0 and wrote 36,000

How much have you ridden it since you bought it? Does 580 miles sound right to you?

Ninja Rob
April 17th, 2015, 06:22 PM
I guess that receipt really mind ****ed me

alex.s
April 17th, 2015, 06:22 PM
oh man. careful when selling you dont get hit with a BS odo fraud charge

Ninja Rob
April 17th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Agreed, just about to roll to 4179.2.

Maybe the PO saw 3,600.0 and wrote 36,000

How much have you ridden it since you bought it? Does 580 miles sound right to you?

yeah I guess 580...It was mind boggling to me why my bike miles were increasing faster than my car when I use my car more. This whole time I thought I had about 5k miles of experience...

Ninja Rob
April 17th, 2015, 06:35 PM
oh man. careful when selling you dont get hit with a BS odo fraud charge

I think it's right. It still has stock tires with not much wear. Seems like the bike was stored and hardly ridden. Just look at the thread below, look at the 5th comment that has the picture.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218915

You can easily understood why the PO can make a numerical mistake like that.

alex.s
April 17th, 2015, 06:49 PM
yeah but if the title said 30k something, and you go to sell it and it then has actually 5k, the DMV will throw a bitch fit

Ninja Rob
April 17th, 2015, 07:07 PM
yeah but if the title said 30k something, and you go to sell it and it then has actually 5k, the DMV will throw a bitch fit

Just checked the title...it says EXEMPT under the section thats says mileage so I should be ok.

fishdip
April 17th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Just checked the title...it says EXEMPT under the section thats says mileage so I should be ok.

In my state that means it rolled over to 00000

cbinker
April 17th, 2015, 07:27 PM
did it ever occur to you to ride the bike and look at the white w/black numbers to see how quickly it rotated?

Ninja Rob
April 17th, 2015, 07:36 PM
did it ever occur to you to ride the bike and look at the white w/black numbers to see how quickly it rotated?

I try to keep my eyes on the road...

MrAtom
April 17th, 2015, 07:40 PM

Why would you?

liberpolly
April 17th, 2015, 07:43 PM
It's either 4,179 or 104,179 miles.

corksil
April 17th, 2015, 11:20 PM
My PO made the same mistake. Bought it with 3k -- owner marked 30k on the title.

Impossible to correct in my state.

Singh2jz
April 17th, 2015, 11:29 PM

you never know..

cbinker
April 18th, 2015, 12:03 AM
I try to keep my eyes on the road...

you could easily answer your question by a little experimentation instead of having to resort to asking other people. a little self reliance never hurt anyone. how the f do you monitor your speed if you try to keep you eyes on the road. :rolleyes:

cbinker
April 18th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Why would you?

maybe to answer your own question and maybe to even get to know your bike.

Ninja Rob
April 18th, 2015, 04:24 AM

How can I tell? It`s a 2004 and it's old but it looks more like it was stored carelessly. Doesn't look like it was ridden too much.

Ninja Rob
April 18th, 2015, 04:30 AM
you could easily answer your question by a little experimentation instead of having to resort to asking other people. a little self reliance never hurt anyone. how the f do you monitor your speed if you try to keep you eyes on the road. :rolleyes:

I do watch my speed. Maybe someone ****ed with my Odometer. Could be that I so believed that it was 36k that that is what I saw. Well the mileage is not on the title or any document related to the title. Dmv didnt ask for mileage when I transfered the title.

NevadaWolf
April 18th, 2015, 04:36 AM
Given how little ninjettes actually get ridden in their lifetime by the average rider, I'd lean towards it being 4k vs 104k. I saw an '07 just pop up for sale with 3k on the odo so your mileage isn't unusual.

Not sure if there is such a thing as a bike Carfax but if the bike has lived locally its whole life, you might see if the local shop has records on it showing the mileage.

Someone else will have to chime in if there's a way to tell on the bike itself. I'd be interested in that too.

adouglas
April 18th, 2015, 04:44 AM
This is AWESOME!!! I only need to fill my tank every 2,000 miles!

:D

liberpolly
April 18th, 2015, 08:42 AM
How can I tell? It`s a 2004 and it's old but it looks more like it was stored carelessly. Doesn't look like it was ridden too much.

"It still has stock tires". Easy enough. Have you seen tires that would last 100000 miles? They must've been made from unobtanium/rubber compound...

csmith12
April 18th, 2015, 08:48 AM
It's a pain, but just have the paperwork fixed. It will save you much headache later.

Ninja Rob
April 18th, 2015, 10:06 AM
It's a pain, but just have the paperwork fixed. It will save you much headache later.

I did a background check at the police station before I bought it using the VIN#. The receipt that the PO gave me was a receipt from a booklet that you buy at Walmart or Staples. I think he kept it for his own records but as far as anything that I filed with the DMV, the mileage was not requested. I remember the guy at the DMV saying that any title transfers less than a certain dollar amount do not require the mileage. So I guess I am fine. The mileage was never recorded in any official state documents. What I will do is request the vehicle (bike) history just to be informed of what I have. Then I will go from there. I like my 250, but a 300 would be nice too. I have done wide open throttle up to gear 4 and I have to say that the 250 still has plenty to offer me. I had to hold on tight to the handle bars so I would stay on the bike.

Ninja Rob
April 18th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Given how little ninjettes actually get ridden in their lifetime by the average rider, I'd lean towards it being 4k vs 104k. I saw an '07 just pop up for sale with 3k on the odo so your mileage isn't unusual.

Not sure if there is such a thing as a bike Carfax but if the bike has lived locally its whole life, you might see if the local shop has records on it showing the mileage.

Someone else will have to chime in if there's a way to tell on the bike itself. I'd be interested in that too.

I 2nd that. It's not much of bike friendly town here. There are many ninjas for sale here that range from 8k-15k. It's more of a TRUCK town. Everyone wants a truck here. It is Texas. Dudes working at Mcdonalds here and they got trucks.

csmith12
April 18th, 2015, 10:23 AM
I did a background check at the police station before I bought it using the VIN#. The receipt that the PO gave me was a receipt from a booklet that you buy at Walmart or Staples. I think he kept it for his own records but as far as anything that I filed with the DMV, the mileage was not requested. I remember the guy at the DMV saying that any title transfers less than a certain dollar amount do not require the mileage. So I guess I am fine. The mileage was never recorded in any official state documents. What I will do is request the vehicle (bike) history just to be informed of what I have. Then I will go from there. I like my 250, but a 300 would be nice too. I have done wide open throttle up to gear 4 and I have to say that the 250 still has plenty to offer me. I had to hold on tight to the handle bars so I would stay on the bike.

All that matters is the mileage is as accurate as possible on the title. While possible, it's highly unlikely that it is over 100k miles.

Ninja Rob
April 18th, 2015, 02:29 PM
All that matters is the mileage is as accurate as possible on the title. While possible, it's highly unlikely that it is over 100k miles.

I have seen a few bikes that are over 100K and my bike looks nowhere near those conditions.

liberpolly
April 18th, 2015, 10:46 PM
I had to hold on tight to the handle bars so I would stay on the bike.

Try using your knees instead.