View Full Version : Looking to improve my 0-60

Hero Danny
April 19th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Here's a video of me doing some 0-60 runs.. I'm looking for constructive criticism on how to improve... Best I ran was 6 seconds (a tiny bit longer).

rBed1nBdb-8

csmith12
April 19th, 2015, 03:21 PM
First thing... go watch 1/4 mile launches and then race launches. Your rpms are too low and there will be a bit more clutch fitness. Basically, you need to be around 8-10k rpms at 0mph and modulate that power to the pavement via the clutch and throttle during the launch.

It's an art form and a thing of beauty when you get it right. :) Just takes some real practice.

alex.s
April 19th, 2015, 04:21 PM
first of all your second attempt was closer to 8 seconds than 6.5 seconds... you measure from the time you begin moving. not once you pass 5mph.

put the rpm at 10 or 11k rpm (start lower and work your way up) with the clutch in... feel the clutch out so you are just before it engages... any movement out will try to pull the bike forward. when you are ready to go, simultaneously go wide open throttle, and smoothly let the clutch out within a quarter second. it needs to be quick but don't just drop the clutch or you'll do a back flip. it will wheelie slightly. if its too much wheelie, pull the clutch back in slightly or use some rear brake. leave it WOT. you'll need to shift into second fairly quickly so be ready. also, dont bother using the clutch after first, it's a waste of time and power.

also, don't do this **** on a public road

MrAtom
April 19th, 2015, 05:37 PM
XDMivP58Smw

Hero Danny
April 19th, 2015, 05:55 PM
first of all your second attempt was closer to 8 seconds than 6.5 seconds... you measure from the time you begin moving. not once you pass 5mph.

Yeah, I noticed my times were off by a second or so after but I already had it rendered out and said oh well.

Thanks for your response it helps a lot. I'll continue to practice in some isolated parking lot or something.

Hero Danny
April 19th, 2015, 05:56 PM
First thing... go watch 1/4 mile launches and then race launches. Your rpms are too low and there will be a bit more clutch fitness. Basically, you need to be around 8-10k rpms at 0mph and modulate that power to the pavement via the clutch and throttle during the launch.

It's an art form and a thing of beauty when you get it right. :) Just takes some real practice.

Oh man, that's going to take tons of practice hahaha, I get scared having the RPMS that high at a stand still lol.

I'll start with 4k and work my way up like you suggest. Thank you. I'll post more progress later on once I feel I'm competent.

choneofakind
April 19th, 2015, 06:02 PM
After you get it moving, don't touch the clutch. Learn to do it clutcless. That will shave a tenth off, in my experience.

Hold it at 9k, as soon as you get it moving, dump throttle on it and feather clutch to keep it at 10k until the wheel speed catches up to the engine speed, then start kicking up gears without the clutch. Ideally, the front should juuuuuust lift off under your launch in first gear. If you pop it up, you lose time. If you don't get it up, you could have accelerated faster. You'll feel the bars get wiggly and the nose get light. Keep it there. I got to 6.23 with a pregen after a few attempts. You should be able to do moar betterer with the 300.

Note: don't make a point to do these launches frequently. It will burn through clutch :lol:

MrAtom
April 19th, 2015, 06:10 PM
As long as your bike is all warmed up, having the RPM's high at a standstill isn't so bad for it. Also, +1 on clutchless shifting, and a quick note on clutchless shifting: It's WAY easier to do it at higher rpm's. I blame Mr. Positive Neutral Finder. Just make sure to close the throttle just before you kick it up into the next gear. It takes a few tries to get the timing right but once you do, it works great.

Also, on finding an isolated parking lot, no you're not ;)

choneofakind
April 19th, 2015, 07:02 PM
^^^ let's clarify that statement a little. High rpm's are okay at a standstill within reason. The 1-3 seconds you do it before a launch are no biggie. If you're standing there twiddling your thumbs with the throttle pinned while you wait for jimmy johns to deliver, you'll have problems. You know, proper airflow over the radiator and such.

MrAtom
April 19th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Yeah I should have clarified. Don't be that squid at the intersection who bounces the needle at idle every 10 seconds because he's bored. (Statement inspired from real life observation)

Jono
April 19th, 2015, 07:31 PM
http://www.sportrider.com/sites/sportrider.com/files/styles/medium_1x_/public/import/page_element_images/146_1005_03_z%2Bnitrous_oxide_kits%2BNOS_bottle.jpg?itok=8Crzf2AG

JohnnyBravo
April 19th, 2015, 07:33 PM
I thought jimmy johns delivered before you even finish ordering order

Hero Danny
April 19th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone,
Since this is my second season, I want to start really sharpening my skills. I'm trying to get some track days planned too this summer.

I spend about 99% of my time on my bike just cruising to be honest, I have bad chicken strips already on my tires lol.

alex.s
April 19th, 2015, 08:44 PM
i heard that ****er who owns jimmy johns killed an endangered rhino

Aufitt
April 19th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Those vids were painful to watch and would someone would ride over the top of you in a proddie race.

Roll up to the start line straight and true looking ahead.
Right foot down, left foot on peg
Hold a stable 9-10,000rpm (my tacho has a 3mm strip of pinstripe @9000 for this purpose, sometimes the starter holds us for 30 seconds while some numpty at the rear of the grid gets their **** together)
Find where the clutch just drags then pull the lever back in 2mm.
Loose grip of the bars or you'll go sideways,
Light goes out
smoothly dump clutch rolling (twist of wrist, not arm movement) throttle on, dont upset the bike with any leg movements.
flat change second immediately as Ninjas have short first gear,
lean forward to control wheelie, keep left foot planted on peg ready for upshifts.
Bring right foot onto peg smoothly
clutchless shift 3rd, 4th etc @12,000-13,000rpm, just shy of redline is the fattest part of the power.
Holeshot race :)

Race shift saves heaps of time, but only if technique is spot on.

Street meets at the drags, and MX racing is ideal practice.

Hero Danny
April 20th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Aufitt

I know it's painful to watch, but keep in mind that was my first ever attempt at any kind of 0-60. I knew I was doing things wrong. I have no intentions on becoming an amazing drag racer by any means. lol. I'm just messing around trying to increase my skills and learn. To be honest, i'll probably practice 5 or 6 more times (throughout the summer) and that's really it. I don't see myself going to the drag strip anytime soon either.

Thanks for the tips though, I've heard you can put your left foot on the peg, or right foot to hit that brake in case you wheelie to high, or you can even have both feet off. In this video I had my left foot on the peg.

agentbad
April 20th, 2015, 08:02 AM
0-60 also known as my morning commute. Shift in the higher rpms and modulate the power with the clutch at launch. Once you pick up speed it's all speed shifting.

Aufitt
April 20th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Good on you for practicing, its harder than people think.

Many read a bikes 0-60. 0-100 times or 1/4 mile and think they can do it, but in reality very few ppl can match quoted figures by even a second.
Its all in how you leave the line and the drive.

Its one thing that's not taught at Track days but over half a race result depends on that first few seconds.

I never raced my cbr250 but when it was brand new had someone once tell me how his Ninja was 2 seconds faster down the 1/4 mile.... well after 3 runs he conceded that he was miles behind every run :)

JohnnyBravo
April 21st, 2015, 10:20 PM
i heard that ****er who owns jimmy johns killed an endangered rhino

Like the chick who goes around killing all sorts of exotic aninals posting pics all over like her latest giraffe... An doesn't care to even really hunt them, mostly setup shots. I don't believe in sport hunting... But if your hungry ya might as well go to natures grocery

Your you're you'er mmmmmm

As for places to eat and stores and such I'd rather shop local... Word travels fast around here if someone we know does something shady... Only stuff I know about folks around the world comes from here or Facebook, an you can only trust so much online

Ghostt
April 22nd, 2015, 05:27 AM
For a person whom used to drag race, it comes down to two things, the launch, and your shifts, both are way too slow.

As others have said you just have to practice, practice, and more practice. It's all by feel of the individual person. Once you get the hang of launching, then work on your shifts.

Personally when I'm shifting in race, I don't roll off the throttle at all, yes my shifts are that quick :thumbup:

I have a stupid question, why are you wanting to accomplish this?

SIDENOTE: upgrade your clutch springs ASAP.

Hero Danny
April 24th, 2015, 05:23 PM
For a person whom used to drag race, it comes down to two things, the launch, and your shifts, both are way too slow.

As others have said you just have to practice, practice, and more practice. It's all by feel of the individual person. Once you get the hang of launching, then work on your shifts.

Personally when I'm shifting in race, I don't roll off the throttle at all, yes my shifts are that quick :thumbup:

I have a stupid question, why are you wanting to accomplish this?

SIDENOTE: upgrade your clutch springs ASAP.

Honestly, i'm not going to do this often. I don't want to beat my bike. I like to actually baby my bike. I just want to gain a little bit of skills so I can do it if I so choose. As for shifting, I've been practicing clutchless shifting and i've been improving. But it's tough. Again, I feel bad like i'm beating the bike so I think i'm gonna lay off for a little while lol

Ghostt
April 24th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Okay just curious. It's good to practice shifting without the clutch just in case of clutch cable failure.

Under full acceleration quick shifting is the key, and HD clutch springs are just a good idea anyway, due to the OEM ones are way too soft.

Hero Danny
April 28th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Okay just curious. It's good to practice shifting without the clutch just in case of clutch cable failure.

Under full acceleration quick shifting is the key, and HD clutch springs are just a good idea anyway, due to the OEM ones are way too soft.

I actually have been practicing the clutch-less up-shifting and i'm able to do it pretty decent. It's fun too.