View Full Version : Small sport bike shootout at Motorcyclist

adouglas
April 21st, 2015, 01:53 PM
Aaaand discuss.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2015-small-sportbike-shootout-beginner-bikes-entry-level-review-two-wheels-video?dom=mcy&loc=contentwell&lnk=IMG

cadd
April 21st, 2015, 02:06 PM
Finally!!!!! Good find.

Did I hear correctly? Did they say the R3 is the worst handling bike of this group? Wow. That surprised me!!! It has larger forks too! And Michelin Pilot Street tires. What gives?!?!

I'm also surprised they didn't mention anything about ABS availability or slipper clutch.

snot
April 21st, 2015, 02:20 PM
Nice, I still favor the 300. I think it's because it was the first 300 that came out.

crazymadbastard
April 21st, 2015, 02:27 PM
I want the wheelie one...

cbinker
April 21st, 2015, 02:53 PM
I need to remember to come back to that one later tonight when i am at the hospital.

liberpolly
April 21st, 2015, 10:58 PM
I want 390 Duke.

Aufitt
April 21st, 2015, 11:00 PM
Finally!!!!! Good find.

Did I hear correctly? Did they say the R3 is the worst handling bike of this group? Wow. That surprised me!!! It has larger forks too! And Michelin Pilot Street tires. What gives?!?!

I'm also surprised they didn't mention anything about ABS availability or slipper clutch.

On the track, its bum heavy (dogbones) and its got bias ply Michelins.

Honda was the winner, as it has no vices, Ninja good allrounder too despite its old dynamics.

Damning on the R3 which is a shame as noobs will think the R3 must be no good. They are splitting hairs, and not many ppl can ride like Ari can.
Especially a new rider with only a few years experience.

cbinker
April 21st, 2015, 11:30 PM
this really appeals to me with the video, I hate reading.

kdogg2077
April 22nd, 2015, 05:08 AM
The KTM winning the track portion of the review makes sense, it was designed with that in mind.

I disagree with the CBR winning the road portion though. They give the CBR the win for being a mediocre at everything jack of all trades yet admit the engine is boring and less powerful than the R3 and Ninja? I know these are small displacement bikes for beginners but seriously, engines don't matter now?

Boo. The only credit I give the CBR is for keeping the price down.

Sirref
April 22nd, 2015, 05:56 AM
^ I got to ride one of them cbr's around once for a minute or so, yeah it's down on power but it's a decent bike for sure. Build quality is leagues above my N300.

If I were in the market for a new budget bike that would never see a highway I'd consider it, and then I'd go buy a newgen 250 that has maybe 2-3k miles for 2 grand or so.

Review confirmed that the bike I want is the RC390, though I am disappointed in the R3 for not holding up to track pace. Then again it'd still be a huge improvement over my track 250 hahaha, just swap the tires, rear shock, springs, and add valve emulators as well as some track fairings and it's good to go. So more or less the same mods one would do to a Ninja 300 to race prep it.

subxero
April 22nd, 2015, 05:58 AM
^ Kdogg I have to disagree

engine size doesn't mean jack, look at the engine characteristics. The cbr has more HP than the stock N250, just because they didn't go over 300cc like yamy and ktm doesn't mean it isn't a great bike. They say how well refined it feels all around and on top of that
look at the torque curve, it has more usable torque for city riding than kaw and somewhat on par with the yamy.

You can't turn small displacement bike development into a HP chase, after a while they will no longer be small displacement.

adouglas
April 22nd, 2015, 07:20 AM
Review confirmed that the bike I want is the RC390, though I am disappointed in the R3 for not holding up to track pace. Then again it'd still be a huge improvement over my track 250 hahaha, just swap the tires, rear shock, springs, and add valve emulators as well as some track fairings and it's good to go. So more or less the same mods one would do to a Ninja 300 to race prep it.

Exactly. The magazines have to compare stock bikes. Enthusiasts don't leave their bikes stock for long. The fact that the stock R3 isn't as good on the track as the competition means very little. What matters is the potential.

It'll take a little while for the aftermarket to catch up, of course. And it won't be long before someone starts screwing around to see which shock fits....

Have to say that if I were in the market for a small bike today it'd be a tough call. The only one of these four I'd not be seriously considering is the CBR... for the right rider it'd be great, but I'm not that guy.

Sirref
April 22nd, 2015, 07:54 AM
Yeah, luckily the aftermarket will have caught up by the time I re-enter the market for one of these

Jono
April 22nd, 2015, 08:29 PM
Dude pulled off a real nice wheelie on that R3. I'm sold. Haha

subxero
April 23rd, 2015, 07:15 AM
review I posted a few months ago, same bikes less the R3. They had similar thoughts and would assume they would probably have similar thoughts on the R3 as well if it was tested.

Out of the box these guys like the CBR300 as well :thumbup: Again it seems the only thing that keeps it from putting down faster times is HP

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207513&highlight=U9e2bYbodu8

xorbe
April 23rd, 2015, 10:32 AM
The R3 rear shock setup is apparently a let-down for some? Difficult to change for ride height, or for the track? (Not that I would need to do either of those things.) I am not an expert on these things, but it's being mentioned on the R3 forum.

cadd
April 23rd, 2015, 10:52 AM
You cannot adjust the ride height with the rear suspension by merely adjusting the preload. And this isn't R3 exclusive.

subxero
April 23rd, 2015, 11:26 AM
It seems Yamaha has been under springing a few of their newer model bikes. The fz09 got slammed for not having a good stock suspension, the fz07 was an improvement but I still think people were not 100% satisfied with it's suspension either.