View Full Version : Sound Clip - Area P 18" Quiet Core vs. Stock

noche_caliente
June 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I love everything Area P has to offer in their exhausts, especially since they make the quiet core! I love the way it looks, and am even more in love with the sound. Momaru lives close by, and just so happens to have the 18" carbon fiber Area P.
One of the biggest questions that I had, was what does the quiet core sound like compared to stock? It's so hard to tell anything from the internet, so while Paul was here this evening to pick up his tail light and change his oil, we took the opportunity to make a recording of the stock exhaust compared to the area p. Both bikes are '08 models with some jetting and the snorkel removed. I hope this helps anyone else who was trying to make a decision about the quiet core. I think it's perfect!

Snake
June 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the sound clip. You just helped me make finalize my decision to get the quiet core when it comes out for the pre-gens.

Anteraan
June 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Now, if someone could post an 18" quiet core vs. a 12" standard AP, that would help my decision. Every clip I've heard of the 12" has been simply aurally orgasmic. If the QC is close to that, I'd get the QC. Big thanks to the OP though. This will help a lot of people.

kkim
June 25th, 2009, 07:57 PM
it all depends if you like your exhausts loud or not so loud.

noche_caliente
June 25th, 2009, 07:58 PM
depending on how long Nick takes to get his 15" installed, he says he'll do standard vs. 15" soon... now we just need to find someone with access to the 12" and stock... maybe PM some folks whose signatures have them?

Anteraan
June 25th, 2009, 08:01 PM
it all depends if you like your exhausts loud or not so loud.

Well, I prefer exhaust sound to intake whirr. Loud vs. not so loud isn't as important to me as the visceral thrill of the right sound. That said, I would prefer not so loud, all things being equal.

Am I making any sense, or just rambling late at night (here anyway)?

kkim
June 25th, 2009, 08:10 PM
only reason I ask, is that I know several that had the 12" and found it too loud after awhile.

I personal opinion is that the 12" belongs on the track and the 15 or 18 are barely passable as a street "muffler", but then again, I prefer quiet exhausts.

wayanlam
June 25th, 2009, 10:56 PM
is there a big weigh difference between the carbon and stainless mufflers from AP?

how about the weight difference between the 12", 15", and 18"?

on the AP website i only saw "weight savings: 7 lbs" but i assume that's for their standard 12" exhaust?

btw, since when are they making 15"? i just looked at their website again and saw that they only sell 12" and 18"... or is the 15 a custom chop from the 18"? lol

kkim
June 25th, 2009, 11:11 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13808&highlight=area

NJD022588
June 29th, 2009, 06:01 AM
depending on how long Nick takes to get his 15" installed, he says he'll do standard vs. 15" soon... now we just need to find someone with access to the 12" and stock... maybe PM some folks whose signatures have them?

I might be able to get it on sometime this weekend, but maybe not until later next week. I'm anxious to hear how it sounds...

noche_caliente
June 29th, 2009, 08:12 AM
can't you call into work sick or something? Come on Nick - we wanna hear it!

NJD022588
June 29th, 2009, 11:15 AM
can't you call into work sick or something? Come on Nick - we wanna hear it!

That would be great, but then I wouldnt get paid. I'll be working some 14-16 hour shifts later this week to get more money - 8 hours of those days will be watching a testing machine for failures (and watching DVDs / reading this site in the background :D ). Too bad I cant bring my bike into the building... :cool:

NJD022588
June 29th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Just got a chance to listen to that clip and... those birds are loud!

Also, I cant wait to get mine on. That QC sounds great! I hope the 15" inst too loud.

M-Oorb
June 30th, 2009, 05:43 AM
The 15in isn't loud at all IMHO once the bike is warmed up. Under accleration...yea its got a decently loud rumble but that's what you want :). While cruising it is louder than stock but not too much. I've ridden with friends in cars and said they couldn't hear me once we started cruising(then again they coulda been blasting their music)
Posted via Mobile Device

randomwalk101
July 1st, 2009, 07:35 PM
yoshi CF is the nicest exhaust IMHO...but it's loud. I always wear ear plug anyways so doesn't really matter much.

noche_caliente
August 30th, 2009, 06:12 PM
And another sound clip - stock, then 18", then 15 ", all revving to about 7 or 8 k

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3736&d=1251681013

wayanlam
August 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM
i dont see any attachment :(

can you give the link, or reattach? or is it just me?

i just placed an order for the 15" from Kerry. and am so curious to hear what the difference is between the 18 and 15" :P

thanks for the update, well once i can hear it!

noche_caliente
August 30th, 2009, 06:34 PM
fixed :) I also posted it in the 15" thread ;)
I noticed that the 15 seems to idle a bot louder, but the overall volume didn't seem to be too much different between the two... mostly just a lower, more grumbly note with the 15

wayanlam
August 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM
are there any issues with back firing? or is that problem solved with removing the kleen air pipe thing?

ill have to read up Kelly's DYI in more detai now that im finally going to get the AreaP exhaust :) he prolly has all the bases covered in there.

cheers for the sound clip.

Anteraan
August 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
fixed :) I also posted it in the 15" thread ;)
I noticed that the 15 seems to idle a bot louder, but the overall volume didn't seem to be too much different between the two... mostly just a lower, more grumbly note with the 15

Agreed. When I listened to it the first time, I thought, "The 15 is actually quieter than the 18?" The more I listen to it, the more it seems the case, especially as the revs climb - the 18 doesn't seem so quiet anymore.

Thanks for the link. I've been wondering about this for a bit. Anyone able to do a 15 QC vs 12 comparison? I'd really be curious as to the difference there.

Momaru
August 31st, 2009, 05:47 AM
Wayan: My 18" did backfire just a little while engine braking and with some WOT, but that was solved with pulling the Kleen air. That said, I'm still running a little lean, which is probably why the 18" sounds a little rough in the clip.

Scott: After riding behind Nick's 15" for 2+ hours, I guarantee the 15" is indeed louder; there were times when I had to try just to hear my own pipe over his.

We'd do an 18" vs 15" vs 12" comparison, but we can't seem to convince Kim to get the 12", something about too loud... :D