View Full Version : Ninjette Decal Restoration of Discussion.

Verus Cidere
June 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Hey guys. :D It has been discussed on three different threads in the past that we create some sort of decal or vinyl sticker to place on various places on our bikes as advertisement for ninjette.org. I thought we'd open an easier to find thread specifically about this possibility.

Here are the threads that already talked about it.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15089
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22326
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22758

So my questions are these:

1. Does anybody have access to any sort of vinyl or sticker maker that could help us with the manufacturing of these decals?

2. What kinds of decals do we want? Do we want multiple sizes and designs or one size and one design? Depending on your answer to the last questions, what size(s) and design(s) would you want, text on solid background, ninjette picture, etc.?

3. How many people would be interested in getting a sticker like this? If we make and buy in bulk, it should be cheaper, so the more we get on board (pardon the pun :rotflmao:) the better.

We already have a few design possibilities for this sticker and I'm sure we could come up with more, but we need to figure out if we can actually make them and how we're paying for them before we get to that part. So who's interested? :thumbup:

noche_caliente
June 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Beast has the ability to print them - someone should talk to him

Verus Cidere
June 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a way to get to Beast's profile would you? I'll send the PM, but I have to have a way to get there. :)

Verus Cidere
June 24th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Nevermind. I found Beast's page and sent a PM. Waiting on a reply from that end. Anybody else able to make this kind of sticker?

Verus Cidere
June 25th, 2009, 11:26 PM
:bump2:

Anybody have any ideas on what to make, how to make them, and who can? I saw some interest in other threads, but it seems like it died. Nobody else likes the idea or what? :confused:

kkim
June 25th, 2009, 11:34 PM
what did beast say? :confused:

Verus Cidere
June 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Beast still hasn't answered back, but I don't want him to think he's our only option. I'm sure with our thousand members, someone's got to have the ability to make a sticker!! :rolleyes:

kkim
June 25th, 2009, 11:43 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=74293#post74293

sounds like the making of a contest, too! :D

Verus Cidere
June 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Wow Kelly, you're getting ahead of me! I already talked to Alex about this possibility, and he said we need to work out the logistics first. Hence my search for people who can make the stickers. ;) Hopefully, your thread will help.

Nickds7
June 26th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Well from what I know about this sort of the thing, the cheapest option is to pay for a company to make them. They already have the high end $2-5k printer and buy their materials in bulk.

Highest end pricing would probably be ~50cents a vinyl, and as cheap at ~8cents a vinyl.

I was looking at this company a while back: http://www.stickerobot.com/pricing/

In case you don't want to read, 1-4 colors max. No price difference between 1 or 4 colors. Min. order 1k stickers... so these will be easy to keep in stock :)

Verus Cidere
June 26th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Nice link dude! I'm not sure we'd order 1k stickers, but it's a good start. I didn't read all of it yet, so my complete impression of it comes tomorrow. Sleep time! :yawn:

Nickds7
June 26th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Nice link dude! I'm not sure we'd order 1k stickers, but it's a good start. I didn't read all of it yet, so my complete impression of it comes tomorrow. Sleep time! :yawn:

Well its cheaper that way and people would want them for their cage and their bike. So thats 500 people right there.

From what I've seen its like $1-$3 each to print small orders :eek:

HKr1
June 26th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Was gonna have you check with Gail over on FSB, but I just did and:
Closed until:
November 15 to include Sticka Connection
:(

If you guys come up with something ya want, we can ask tina at turn one performance/graphics also.
Or you can ask them(John/Tina) here:
http://www.pensacolariders.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

00v_Lucky
June 26th, 2009, 09:34 AM
yea, im sorry for not pulling through with the decal, I was embarrassed to say that it was too hard for me to accomplish. making a decal from scratch is harder than I thought! (oh and thanks michael for bumping up this idear once again)

bob706
June 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I work in a sign shop that can produce custom vinyl decals. Let me know decal size, quantity, ect and I'll throw some prices back.

Purspeed
June 26th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Beast still hasn't answered back

...still awaiting a reply for my 250r decal :(

Bsmith
June 26th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I have a guy that I used to work with that got laid off that does vinyl. He could use the business. He just found out his wife is pregnant right before he was laid off. He's been doing some bikes locally. Get me some ideas and I'll hit him up.

Ken08Ninja
June 26th, 2009, 11:01 PM
What are you looking for? I own a vinyl cutter, I can cut single color decals. I can not make multi color printed graphics, but I could layer different colors for one decal.
Ken

Verus Cidere
June 26th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Well its cheaper that way and people would want them for their cage and their bike. So thats 500 people right there.

From what I've seen its like $1-$3 each to print small orders :eek:

That's quite a bit more expensive, yes. We'll keep this option in mind. Besides, the way this site is growing, we could get rid of those fairly quick!!

yea, im sorry for not pulling through with the decal, I was embarrassed to say that it was too hard for me to accomplish. making a decal from scratch is harder than I thought! (oh and thanks michael for bumping up this idear once again)

No worries on making the decal. I haven't even tried making a design yet. I'm expecting it to be fairly difficult too. :cool:

I work in a sign shop that can produce custom vinyl decals. Let me know decal size, quantity, ect and I'll throw some prices back.

I'm thinking that it should probably be fairly small, so that it's not too overdone. I also don't want it too small, so that it's still noticeable. I'd say about W: 4" X H: 2". But that's just my idea. Anybody have ideas for how big they would want it? An idea before was that it would fit on a kickstand plate/puck. Any other ideas? I wanted it on my windscreen.

I have a guy that I used to work with that got laid off that does vinyl. He could use the business. He just found out his wife is pregnant right before he was laid off. He's been doing some bikes locally. Get me some ideas and I'll hit him up.

That's a very good cause! I'd be half-inclined to just send him an order right now. :) As you can see, however, we're still working on that part. Let's see what people say first and then you can talk to your friend.

Oh, and Beast still hasn't answered me back, just to let you guys know. :confused20:

Verus Cidere
June 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
:bump2::bump2::bump2::bump2::bump2:

C'mon guys! What size would you want?

Nickds7
June 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Well we should look at some of the places it could be located on a bike and then base its size off that. Too big for most places would be annoying.

Nemy
June 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Main spots are usually the swingarm and the windscreen. Bigger ones could go on the bottom of the front fairings. But we'd need another logo (one less complicated) or it would have to be just font. Also check out muffinman's dark logo

http://www.cafepress.com/ninjette_org

M-Oorb
June 29th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Im down for a small and simple Ninjette.org vinyl for my windscreen. I do not currently have a ruler at school haha. It should be fairly small but proportional so it doesnt look stretched or clumped up...so it should be whatever those dimensions are. :)

Verus Cidere
June 29th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Ok, so then about 4X2 (inches)? Is that about right or would you want it a bit smaller?

M-Oorb
June 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Sounds good to me. I think we should get the contest going, settle on a design, and start asking around to see how much it would cost at different sources for the design. Simple would be the cheapest and is at time the best way to go. We want to represent Ninjette but we dont wanna look tacky doin it:thumbup:

Verus Cidere
June 29th, 2009, 11:14 PM
We should wait a bit to start the contest. :o Alex said we need to know who's going to make the sticker first, who's chipping in, who's collecting the money, who's making the order, and things like that before we start the contest, unless I misunderstood him. I'm sure you guys can start making your designs, but Alex doesn't want us deciding on one until we know it's going to get made. I wouldn't be against being the one to take care of it all, but I have to check on it with my dad first, as it's his paypal account. Anybody else interested in handling the money and orders? We could go with a few people putting up 5 to 10 dollars each. If we get 20 or 25 people helping out, we could get lots of stickers and a ton of stamps and envelopes. I'll check asap about whether or not I can do it. :thumbup:

On the note of who is planning to make it, Sean (Bob706) and Bill (Bsmith) both said they had possibilities on manufacturing. Can you guys find out how much it would cost for a few different possibilities? I'm thinking probably 4"X2", all color, with a max of 4 different colors (so it doesn't get to pricey, but still leaves us open for some originality). I'd also like to make sure we use colors that won't fade from sunlight or weather, like a sticker I got from Fulmer helmets recently that went from red to pink in a matter of weeks. :mad: The designs, as Matt (M-Oorb) said, should be fairly simple. I'm also thinking we'll need a fairly large order, both to keep the price per sticker fairly low, and to allow many different people to get a sticker, including new members as time goes on. Probably a minimum of 500 stickers and a maximum of 2000. That leaves open new members, and multiple stickers per person. (Feedback on those ideas is still welcome, hoped for, and appreciated! :D)

Anything I missed guys? Alex, if we're missing anything, help us out! It is your site, after all. You should have a say in it's advertising. :rolleyes:

Nickds7
June 29th, 2009, 11:16 PM
4x2 sounds about right. I haven't been around my bike today so haven't had a chance to measure anything out.

Well for the $ part.. does Alex want to handle the purchasing? As the profits should go to him (site is his) and any promotion would go to his forums (ours, but still his :) )
I think something like $2/shipped for 2 based off the average prices I'm seeing is a fair estimate. The actual price would obviously have to wait until a printer is selected.

Templates can be downloaded here: http://www.stickerobot.com/templates/ 4x2 looks like what it should be but I would make it at something like 8x4 so that in the end you will have the option for both 8x4 and 4x2 (although no official contest yet, but if you want to play around ideas :P )

Alex
June 29th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Michael, you're doing great. Sounds like things are moving down the right track. I don't want to start a sticker contest, have us vote on a winner, then get to the end and realize that particular design can't be made at the right price for a reason that we hadn't thought of ahead of time, or we have to order more than we'd want, and a few other logistics issues that may seem minor now but can seem larger when you have to actually deal with them.

Once we can agree on the major "how's", then we can get down to the "what's" and have a proper contest... Winner will not only be immortalized under their username in their profile (like ARc!), but will take home a pile of the stickers as well as some credit in the ninjette.org store as well.

Alex
June 29th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Well for the $ part.. does Alex want to handle the purchasing? As the profits should go to him (site is his) and any promotion would go to his forums (ours, but still his :) )

I do not want to get involved in the purchasing (and subsequent individual shipping) for the vinyl, and I'm not overly concerned about another ninjette.org member making a small profit on the stickers if they are taking the time to deal with the purchasing/orders/shipping hassle already.

kkim
June 29th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I think the first order of business should be to gauge interest. A thread with a poll in it should give you an idea if this is going to fly or not with the rest of the forum members.

not a commitment to purchase, but just to see how many like the idea and would possibly buy some if they were available.

:2cents:

Verus Cidere
June 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Poll thread started. Go vote people!!! :D

Verus Cidere
June 30th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Quick question... How long should we give members to answer on the poll? A week or so? More? :confused20:

kkim
June 30th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I would say till you see a trend forming and can gauge the percentage from the responses. It's not accurate, but at least gives you some idea to move ahead on this or not.

Verus Cidere
June 30th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Gotcha! :thumbup:

Nickds7
June 30th, 2009, 12:57 AM
So here is one idea... simple, blends with the ninja style and existing logos. I prefer something non-invasive to the style of the ninja. (this is not to scale, or centered, I took the font from the finished template and sized it down for the forums)
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5783/smlowfinaldraftninjette.jpg
Although a clear vinyl with black or white font would also be cool, but might cost more$

Sound Wave
June 30th, 2009, 02:36 AM
this is the guy who made my "kawasaki" logo for my zg db

http://www.kawiforums.com/sale-aftermarket-parts-accessories/129965-decals-graphics.html

SpyderGirl
June 30th, 2009, 10:18 AM
So here is one idea... simple, blends with the ninja style and existing logos. I prefer something non-invasive to the style of the ninja. (this is not to scale, or centered, I took the font from the finished template and sized it down for the forums)
Although a clear vinyl with black or white font would also be cool, but might cost more$

I like this, it's simple and would look really nice just about anywhere on the bike. I was also thinking either one for each side of the fairing or one on the windscreen... depends on the size.

M-Oorb
June 30th, 2009, 10:19 AM
^ I like that idea as well...but what about just the Ninjette.org, without a background?

SpyderGirl
June 30th, 2009, 10:24 AM
^ I like that idea as well...but what about just the Ninjette.org, without a background?

I think that's the idea.

Verus Cidere
June 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM

That would be good. My only beef with it would be that it might need to come in multiple colors, which may not be a problem, but might be. It could bump the price up a bit, but I wouldn't think by much. Maybe clear backgrounds, one group in white and one in black. Those fit with just about everything, and don't make things too expensive. We don't want to commit to Kawi green (even if Kkim won't take anything else :p) or something like that, because it just doesn't match very well with red. We have to make sure it looks good on whatever bike it's getting put on. Just my :2cents: on colors. Nice work man! Looks great. :D

this is the guy who made my "kawasaki" logo for my zg db

http://www.kawiforums.com/sale-aftermarket-parts-accessories/129965-decals-graphics.html

That's some good work! It is a bit on the pricey side though, and it doesn't look like he does bulk orders. It also may be much easier to work through our own forum, not switching to another. Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Nice find though! :thumbup:

Anybody else have possibilities?

kkim
June 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM
no matter what design you finally settle on, you will need to offer it in a selection of colors. One color won't go well on all of the different color bikes. perhaps black or white to start, if you want to keep it simple.

M-Oorb
June 30th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I like the idea of a dark bronze. Like the color of the forks on this zx-6r
http://www.zpower.com.au/catalog/images/NV24428_1_400.jpg

IMHO I think the dark bronze like those on the forks looks good on all the color 250s...just google pics of supersports and you will see a wide variety of colors with bronze forks/disk brakes. I think it would "pop" and add a different color to the bikes.

Just one opinion though. I do think like 5 colors would be good to offer so theres some choice

Verus Cidere
June 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Good points. I think that color is more of a gold bronze, but I do get the idea. The color thing is also up to the designer of each decal, and it'll be up to the forum (eventually) as to which one we get and what different colors we use for it.

*Poll Update* Currently 28 yes, 2 no.

Nickds7
June 30th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Well each color would have to have a complete separate run. It would be cheaper to just do a clear decal with a black or white font. Black would probably look better and I could design it to look fine on a black bike as well.

Sadly there is no actual ninja font. There is a kawasaki font though. I was trying to get as close to the ninja font as possible.

I made a universal (printed on clear, will look good on any color) one that could be printed on clear(or black) and look fine on everything, including the windshield (thats where mine is going :) )
Black example:
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7012/finalblackblackexample.jpg
Green example:
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5489/finalblackgreenexample.jpg
(sorry about the large size.. only way to show detail. I did compress to ~20kb each)
(red and blue, you get the idea)

Ken08Ninja
July 1st, 2009, 01:26 AM
Well each color would have to have a complete separate run. It would be cheaper to just do a clear decal with a black or white font. Black would probably look better and I could design it to look fine on a black bike as well.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5489/finalblackgreenexample.jpg

If you ditched the background and just have the text one color it will be alot less then trying to get printed decals made. I can do single color 4"x2" decals for under 5 cents each using either black, white, or silver that I already have. I have not looked for an exact match for the green, blue, or red yet.

M-Oorb
July 1st, 2009, 05:37 AM
I like the ideà of just the text personally...we'll leave that up to the contest though
Posted via Mobile Device

Nickds7
July 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM
If you ditched the background and just have the text one color it will be alot less then trying to get printed decals made. I can do single color 4"x2" decals for under 5 cents each using either black, white, or silver that I already have. I have not looked for an exact match for the green, blue, or red yet.

If you read that post im saying thats just the example up to 2 different colors. it would be printed on clear.

Verus Cidere
July 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM
Nice ideas! This decal looks great. I'd think we'd need at least two colors of text, maybe more, and possibly a reflective one (as alluded to in the poll thread). The background being clear is probably a good idea too.

So Ken, you have access to a sticker printer? Could you deal with an order that was as large as ours is probably going to be? When you say 5 cents, it makes an order of 2000 stickers about $100, plus shipping. I'd call that a very good deal. 750 white, 750 black, and 500 some kind of reflective color? Maybe the silver can be ordered reflective?

Nickds7
July 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Nice ideas! This decal looks great. I'd think we'd need at least two colors of text, maybe more, and possibly a reflective one (as alluded to in the poll thread). The background being clear is probably a good idea too.

Agreed. Maybe make the submission guidelines for the contest to be that they have to have the correct file to be able to change the color of the text/background. So that for variance purposes it can be changed to black/clear/silver. (as in having the .psd .tif and so on)

Bsmith
July 1st, 2009, 07:29 PM
I'll point my guy to this thread and he let me know. Ast ot a printed sticker. I'm not liking that. I would prefer a true decal similar to what I already have on my bike. THe decals seem to last longer and are a cleaner look. I'll try to get a pic of mine and post it.

Ken08Ninja
July 2nd, 2009, 12:29 AM
So Ken, you have access to a sticker printer? Could you deal with an order that was as large as ours is probably going to be? When you say 5 cents, it makes an order of 2000 stickers about $100, plus shipping. I'd call that a very good deal. 750 white, 750 black, and 500 some kind of reflective color? Maybe the silver can be ordered reflective?

I do not have a printer, I bought a vinyl sign cutter to decal my racecars myself. I do not run a sign shop, I just found a deal on the cutter that was less then what it would cost to cut the graphics on my own racecar, truck and trailer after a couple years.
These would be cut out just like the Kawasaki and Ninja decals on the bike now. I could cut them in batches as needed. If people wanted green, blue or red to match the paint or reflective I would have to order a roll after enough people requested them to cover the material. The vinyl is about $3 a yard when I buy a 50 yard roll. Reflective vinyl is about $10 a yard when I buy a 10 yard roll.
I currently have White, Black, Silver, Canary Yellow, Tomato Red, and Saphire Blue.

I have been looking for a outline of the bike similar to the TrailBlazer in this logo.( which I did not make )http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/NORCALSTI/Logo1.jpg

Verus Cidere
July 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Nice work. That's definitely a possibility. I did like the idea of a decal too. Something like this...

The color fade thing is quite a bit more difficult I'm sure, and it's also going to be a different size I think, but that's the idea. That's some good work Ken! I'm sure we could use that! I don't think we're going to be waiting for orders to make these decals though. As far as I knew, we were going to do somewhat of a group buy. One person orders a large number of these decals, then the rest of the membership can order from that person and they will send one of the decals that was already made. As far as i knew that was the plan, but I could be wrong. How many stickers can you make from one yard of vinyl if they are 2"X4"?

Bsmith
July 2nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
this is my current look.

nmd003
July 2nd, 2009, 11:07 PM
I do not have a printer, I bought a vinyl sign cutter to decal my racecars myself. I do not run a sign shop, I just found a deal on the cutter that was less then what it would cost to cut the graphics on my own racecar, truck and trailer after a couple years.
These would be cut out just like the Kawasaki and Ninja decals on the bike now. I could cut them in batches as needed. If people wanted green, blue or red to match the paint or reflective I would have to order a roll after enough people requested them to cover the material. The vinyl is about $3 a yard when I buy a 50 yard roll. Reflective vinyl is about $10 a yard when I buy a 10 yard roll.
I currently have White, Black, Silver, Canary Yellow, Tomato Red, and Saphire Blue.

I have been looking for a outline of the bike similar to the TrailBlazer in this logo.( which I did not make )http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/NORCALSTI/Logo1.jpg

I could probably come up with something like that. Are we talking pre-gen or new gen?

Ken08Ninja
July 3rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
I could probably come up with something like that. Are we talking pre-gen or new gen?

Both, that way people could order which ever one they wanted.

Verus Cidere
July 3rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Best idea, try and incorporate both in the same sticker, or not at all. Since we have members with one, the other or both, we don't want to have only one on the sticker. Make sure it includes all members. Just my :2cents: on that.

HKr1
July 3rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
no matter what design you finally settle on, you will need to offer it in a selection of colors. One color won't go well on all of the different color bikes. perhaps black or white to start, if you want to keep it simple.

PINK! I want some in PINK!

noche_caliente
July 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
maybe you could do one silhouette inside the other, like the new gen growing out of the pregen or something...

Nickds7
July 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Just received a sample kit frp, sticker robot. Amazing quality. It is screenprinted so each color and line almost appears to have a 3d look to it. Simply amazing. Sadly no good camera to take a sample pic of.

Any luck picking out a printer Michael? I think thats whats left before setting up a contest. Lets get these things printed :)

Hadyn
July 3rd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Best idea, try and incorporate both in the same sticker, or not at all. Since we have members with one, the other or both, we don't want to have only one on the sticker. Make sure it includes all members. Just my :2cents: on that.
That's what kept me from using a bike outline or silhouette in my design:
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4240/picture1ncj.png
Somebody should get this contest started!

Verus Cidere
July 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Any luck picking out a printer Michael? I think thats whats left before setting up a contest. Lets get these things printed :)

For right now, it's looking like Ken is the best bet. We haven't had many replies on the other possible makers, so I'm not sure of what they can do and how much it'll cost. From what I can tell, Ken's would be affordable, both for him and for us. I'm still waiting to find out how many decals he could make per yard of vinyl though. We still have a few things to work out before we get the contest going. If you already have your design, make another one or just wait patiently. We're working on it, and we'll get the contest started ASAP. :thumbup:

Ken08Ninja
July 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM
For right now, it's looking like Ken is the best bet. We haven't had many replies on the other possible makers, so I'm not sure of what they can do and how much it'll cost. From what I can tell, Ken's would be affordable, both for him and for us. I'm still waiting to find out how many decals he could make per yard of vinyl though. We still have a few things to work out before we get the contest going. If you already have your design, make another one or just wait patiently. We're working on it, and we'll get the contest started ASAP. :thumup:

The max width I can cut is 18", I usually use 20" material. I fiqure 8 decals wide by 9 down the roll so 72 decals in a little over a yard.
I can cut multiple designs at once so I could have new-gen, pre-gen, and both.

Verus Cidere
July 4th, 2009, 11:49 PM
The max width I can cut is 18", I usually use 20" material. I fiqure 8 decals wide by 9 down the roll so 72 decals in a little over a yard.
I can cut multiple designs at once so I could have new-gen, pre-gen, and both.

Sending you a PM of a possible deal....... :D

Verus Cidere
July 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Poll update: Score is now 40 for and 3 against.

As there's not a massive amount of interest, but it is substantial and there's a good possibility of multiple orders per person, I'm thinking of making the order about 500 decals to start with, and ordering more later if we need them. Sound good to everybody?

kkim
July 5th, 2009, 12:31 AM
how do you finance the 500 decals? approx. cost?

Verus Cidere
July 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I'm planning on a few things. First, I'm planning to cover most of the initial cost of purchasing the decals. I'll be running orders through paypal, and then will send the decals to the people via USPS in a basic envelope. The price had been suggested as $2 shipped before, but we didn't have much discussion on that. I was thinking that would be okay, but we should discuss it some first.

On another note, Ken is going to go ahead and do our decal cutting. He's going to post pics of the colors he has so we can decide how many of each to get on the first run. Depending on what design we use, it will change the price a bit, but it shouldn't be by much.

As far as I can tell, we can go ahead and start the contest now. Any thoughts before we do? Kim? Alex? You guys are better at thinking ahead than I am. Anything I missed? :thumbup:

kkim
July 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Shipping should be the actual shipping cost of whatever it takes to mail a legal size envelope through the post office. The size of the decals would permit that, wouldn't it? If it does, shipping costs should be a postage stamp plus the cost of an envelope.

Alex is away at the LS GP, but hopefully he can give you more insight as to what should be done next later today.

Sounds like you've done the legwork and homework. Good job! :thumbup:

Verus Cidere
July 5th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks! :D

I'll check prices on envelopes and stamps in the next couple of days. Will it take more than 1 stamp to mail an envelope to different places? Such as Europe, Australia, or even Hawaii?

kkim
July 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
For international, it will be more, but for the 50 states, it should be the same single first class stamp.

Nickds7
July 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM
International cost: http://ircalc.usps.gov/ international: 98cents for an ounce, 1.82 for 2 ounces. Includes Europe, Australia, and many others.

Hawaii is the same as shipping to any other state when it comes to letters.

Verus Cidere
July 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Cool. Thanks guys. ;)

Ken08Ninja
July 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Here is two pics of the vinyl I have stuck to my 2008 Candy Plasma fairing, click on the thumbs to see full size images.

This one is in direct sunlight.
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/TBSS30/th_directsunlight-1.jpg (http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/TBSS30/?action=view&current=directsunlight-1.jpg)

This one is in the shade.
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/TBSS30/th_shade.jpg (http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/TBSS30/?action=view&current=shade.jpg)

Verus Cidere
July 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Can somebody with photoshop skills take these and check them with the colors of bikes we have? Looks to me like the blue is a fairly good match on CP blue, and it'll probably do better with CT blue as it's darker than CP. it may not be perfect, but it looks good to me. I have no idea about the others though. :confused20:

Nemy
July 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I would think black, white or green lettering/decals would be the most popular. The site and logo are green and black and white go with everything - from fairings to kickstands to windshields.

Verus Cidere
July 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM
That's what I was thinking, but there have been several requests for multiple colors. Gotta go with the general consensus. :D

Nickds7
July 7th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Can somebody with photoshop skills take these and check them with the colors of bikes we have? Looks to me like the blue is a fairly good match on CP blue, and it'll probably do better with CT blue as it's darker than CP. it may not be perfect, but it looks good to me. I have no idea about the others though. :confused20:

Making that real quick right now. 5min.

edit: Here it is... I didn't do black since you probably get the idea and I don't want to spend the time doing black under the same lighting...
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1404/shadef.th.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shadef.jpg)
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8046/shadegreen.th.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shadegreen.jpg)
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6092/shadered.th.jpg (http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shadered.jpg)

Verus Cidere
July 7th, 2009, 11:55 AM
The red looks like a pretty good match, and all but the red match pretty well with the green IMO.

Anything else we're missing or should we get this contest rolling?

Alex
July 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Anything else we're missing or should we get this contest rolling?

These questions may already have been answered in the various threads, so maybe all of this has been done, but a concise answer to all or most of 'em may be all that's left in my mind before kicking off a contest:

Size restrictions on vinyl. What are the max/min dimensions for entries.
How many, and/or which colors can be on the submissions.
Any other physical restrictions? Does the electronic format of the design matter?
Will the sticky part be on the front (so you can put it behind your windscreen), or on the back (so you can put it on the exterior of your bike, like on the fairings somewhere)?
Which company is going to make 'em once a winner is selected?
How much is it expected to cost? (minimum order, how much per sticker)
Who's going to order them and handle shipping to individuals who want them? (unless they can be ordered 1 at a time by those who want one from the manufacturer directly)

kevins_garage
July 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I've got a vinyl cutter if you want to stick to a single color cut vinyl decal/sticker.

If you want some advice, I'd go with something that fits in a standard sized envelope to make mailing simple and easy (and cost effective). You also want to be careful that you don't go too small on any of the text or graphics if you do cut vinyl - too easy for some parts of the graphic or text to fall off over time - like from washing them.

Lots of choices on vinyl out there, but it may be best to stick to a few colors if you are going to try and do these in bulk - white, black, silver, pink, maybe a silver reflective too?

Sadly the printer/cutters are still a bit too pricey for my hobbyist budget. Let me know if I can be of help - kevins_garage@yahoo.com.

BlueTyke
July 9th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I got an idea I got an idea!!! Except... I need photoshop and I am at work! Wait for it though.... I think it's brilliant!

BlueTyke
July 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Alright the other way I was invisoning was not working very well... But I thought of this instead...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/S2_Rp/Photoshop/Decal.jpg

(All white areas would be a no sticker area so will be what ever color you put it on. I can totally see this one on my car!)

Alex
July 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Why does that remind me of this? :D

BlueTyke
July 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
The color maybe? Other than that I don't know why... :D (is teasing)

Verus Cidere
July 9th, 2009, 09:05 PM
These questions may already have been answered in the various threads, so maybe all of this has been done, but a concise answer to all or most of 'em may be all that's left in my mind before kicking off a contest:

Any other physical restrictions? Does the electronic format of the design matter?
Will the sticky part be on the front (so you can put it behind your windscreen), or on the back (so you can put it on the exterior of your bike, like on the fairings somewhere)?
Who's going to order them and handle shipping to individuals who want them? (unless they can be ordered 1 at a time by those who want one from the manufacturer directly)

Dimensions for entries: 2"X4" (someone figure that out for me for those of us who use metric please? :D)
Colors: It's looking like to keep from getting pricey, we're going with a few basic colors. White, black, silver, red, blue, and yellow were already shown in this thread from one possible maker, and I'm thinking we shouldn't go too much farther than that without getting quite a bit more expensive. We probably want to limit entries to a single color for the design, as we will be printing whole decals in several different colors (aka some in all blue, some in all black, some in all white, etc.)
Physical Restrictions: Try not to make it too complex as that will also drive up the price. Other than that, make sure it says "Ninjette.org" on it somewhere and be creative! ;) I would suggest trying to put your designs in a few different formats (.jpeg, etc.) just to be sure that it can be sent and read by the maker easily.
Sticky side: Will be on the back, so that the decal can be placed anywhere on the exterior of the bike. Most people have some form of tinted windscreen, so planning to put it on the inside may leave quite a few members out.
Manufacturer: Ken is looking like our best bet as of right now, and has already agreed to do the job, so I was planning on having him do it provided nobody objects. My reasons are that he already has quite a bit of quality experience (evidenced by his example and history in this thread), he already has the machine to cut the decals, he already has the materials in several different color possibilities.
Expected cost: Between $80 and $125 for 500 decals depending on complexity. Max price per decal expense only (based on this, not definite until we know how complex the final design is, which we won't know until AFTER the contest) is $0.25 plus shipping... (don't worry, I'll get there. :D)
Purchaser/Shipment: I was planning on handling that end of this as a bit of my portion of our friend Kkim's "pay it forward" ideal. As this is sorta my baby (not my original idea, but I've been playing with it a lot!) I'd like to have something to do with it other than organization while helping out my fellow ninjette members and the site itself. I didn't ask Ken if he was willing to handle all the shipping, and was assuming that I would send him the money for the initial order, he would send me the decals, I would collect the orders from members, and would then send the decals out from here.

Does that answer the questions well enough or is there more to do? ;)

noche_caliente
July 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
to convert from inches to cm, multiply by 2.54, or by 25.4 to get to mm

as for the sticky on the back because of the tinted windscreens - what about folks wanting to put it on their cars? If the marshals wouldn't get mad at me, inside the back window would be the most likely location for me on the cage...

Verus Cidere
July 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hmmm.... Good point. Hadn't thought of that. Ken, does your vinyl have color on both the front side and the adhesive side? If so, we can just flip the design for a few of the decals when we make them.

Alex
July 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Does that answer the questions well enough or is there more to do? ;)

Looks great to me! I'll put things together tomorrow and get this kicked off right... Thanks for all of your work on this so far! :)

kkim
July 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Alex,

Could the sticker be sold through the ninjette.store?

Alex
July 9th, 2009, 11:19 PM
No, that store is handled by CafePress; they only sell their own products through it. What's unique about all of those products is that they are cost-effective to make in lots of 1 with the equipment they have.

Ken08Ninja
July 10th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Hmmm.... Good point. Hadn't thought of that. Ken, does your vinyl have color on both the front side and the adhesive side? If so, we can just flip the design for a few of the decals when we make them.

No, only the front is colored, the back is usually just white. I have had decals on my car back windows for years without a problem. Just don't scrape them with an ice scraper and they will last.:)

Answer: I can cut up to 18" wide x over 10'
Answer: I would like to keep it one color per decal to keep from having to layer the different colors.
Answer: The software I use is called SignLab, I can use either .ai or .eps files without having to do any changes. I can use .bmp but it takes some work to get it cutable.
Answer: Sticky on back, it will hold up on the outside of glass.
Answer: :artist: Whoever wants to, I can or multiple people. Kevin's Garage said he is also capable. I will share the file with anyone capable of cutting these.
Answer: No minimum order from me, cost unknown without seeing how complex they will be.
Answer: I could mail out directly.

kkim
July 10th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Ken... Thank you for your contribution of time and effort to this forum. :thumbup:

Sailariel
July 10th, 2009, 05:38 PM
this is my current look.

I like your graphics. Alex, Medic, 68-70, 173Rd ABN Bde, N Co 75Th Rangers, RVN. Thanks for keeping the issue alive

M-Oorb
July 13th, 2009, 03:13 PM
So have I totally missed the thread for the contest or has it not started...havent been on for a couple days...too busy riding :D

Alex
July 13th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Contest is up and running as of right now!

Head over to this thread for all the details... (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24229)

M-Oorb
July 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Alex...you are the man!!

M-Oorb
July 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM
If we are not talented at all(well artistically at least)...can we make suggestions Alex? Maybe a color suggestion? Or should would leave it all up to the artists?

Alex
July 13th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Absolutely! Comments, suggestions, and anything else to help with either existing ideas or new ideas are just fine. I'd just prefer that to go in the linked thread, so this one can be solely actual entries that people have submitted. Otherwise in a few weeks time it will be to convoluted too figure out who submitted what when, and what they meant as their final entry (or entries). I'll move this post and your post right to the end of that other thread now...

M-Oorb
July 13th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks for movin the post alex...so my suggestion is one of color. I've made the suggestion before but I really like the gold/bronze on the front forks of a zx-6r. It stands out and IMO contrasts nicely with all the colors. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Alex
July 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I like that color as well. :thumbup:

BlueTyke
July 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I got to thinking about this and while it would be nice to have a decal with an image on it... I wouldn't necessarily put it on my bike... My car? Yeah but my bike? Mmmm not so much.

I have no decals/stickers on my bike except what came on it.

Another site I used to post on (Local site) produced simple stickers in black, white, and silver...

Examples:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/BlueLilTyke/08-08-10%20MDR/DSC01287.jpg

He got a silver one and a black one, putting the black ontop of the silver to give it the 3d look.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/BlueLilTyke/08-08-10%20MDR/DSC01289.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/BlueLilTyke/08-08-10%20MDR/DSC01292.jpg

M-Oorb
July 14th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I agree about the whole picture thing on the bike...I'd do that with my car but I would rather have a ninjette decal for the bike:thumbup:

Buffalony
July 15th, 2009, 01:58 PM
WINNER. LOL
one in black please:thumbup:

Alex
July 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I like that one too. But I gotta move both of these posts over to the discussion thread...

Verus Cidere
July 15th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hey guys. Sorry I've been camping since Saturday and just got back a few hours ago! Glad to see the contest is up and running! Anything else I can do to get this thing done, just let me know! It's my baby after all! :D Good luck all!

Verus Cidere
July 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Those of you who have already made designs (Haydn, Bluetyke, etc.) make sure you upload them on the contest entry thread!

Buffalony
July 20th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hey guys is this going to be a sticker or vinyl?

Verus Cidere
July 20th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Vinyl. We looked at the option of both, and vinyl is going to hold up to weather better, be easier and cheaper to make, and will probably look better in the long run.

Buffalony
July 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM
Vinyl. We looked at the option of both, and vinyl is going to hold up to weather better, be easier and cheaper to make, and will probably look better in the long run.

Ok. thanks Michael.

Verus Cidere
July 22nd, 2009, 12:19 AM
:)

n4v1n
July 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8199/ninjettefinalbw.png

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6749/ninjettoutlinedwatermar.png

Should I make the bike smaller or does it match the size of the lettering?

P.S. I was surprised at how these actually turned out I would really love to put this on my bike :) even if i don't win lol

Verus Cidere
July 28th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I think it looks great. I wouldn't resize it any. :)

istreefitty
July 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM
wow yea I really like yours navin

SpyderGirl
August 3rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Here's the same logo as above, but the letters completely outlined, also other colors can be incorporated like the ones above. May be harder to have made, but certainly looks more interesting.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6749/ninjettoutlinedwatermar.png

12x4 would be a good size or any size within that proportion.

As before the image(s) may not be used or reproduced without my permission, thanks.

BTW if you need larger sizes and or different file types just contact me I will provide them if they are needed

I just had to say that I LOVE this one!!

Alex
August 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM
post moved to discussion thread

ninjablk08
August 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/yitzachm/sticker-9.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/yitzachm/sticker7.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/yitzachm/sticker8.jpg

wow it's late. I'm going to bed.
More Ninja Green fun. And it can change colors as needed.
Used a different font and approach.
Oh yeah, undertail job on the 08 silhouette. Every Ninja needs a tush job.

i love the black and white one its sweet

Alex
August 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
/moved last post to discussion thread

M-Oorb
August 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Remember guys...all posts that have to do with the decal that arent actual submissions go here. We dont wanna make alex upset...I hear that dudes crazyyyyyyyy:p

Alex
August 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
:confused10::crazy::crazyloco::eyebrows::happy50::lolsign::wacko:

Verus Cidere
August 8th, 2009, 11:39 PM
:rolleyes::D

Where's all the other entries though???? I've even seen a few on this thread that haven't been entered. Alex, should we enter them for those people or do they have to put it up themselves? There are several good ones that just haven't been posted in the entry thread!

Alex
August 8th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Shoot 'em a PM that you think their entries would be great in the contest, and hopefully they'll respond in the next few days; in time to get them into the entry thread. If it gets real close with no response, then we can consider moving them over ourselves.

Alex
August 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
No piping in for this thread, just entries themselves. /moved to the discussion thread...

rogue.guineapig
August 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM

thank you sir! /bow

Verus Cidere
August 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM
So Alex, when are we gonna get the voting thread up and running? Doesn't seem like anyone else is going to enter, and we've got some good possibilities. Should we re-announce it for some of those members that have planned to enter and forgot or just go ahead with the contest? :rolleyes:

BikeVinyl
September 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
hmmm

zev42
September 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM

I really like the black and white one too!

00v_Lucky
December 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
So, what ever happened to this thing? I was wondering where this thread went.

Alex
December 9th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Hi Howard - it kinda fizzled. :( I did get 8 or so somewhat viable entries, but many of them would have required quite a bit of additional work to make them usable as decals. I set up the thread and it's sitting in a hidden area for the poll, but I kinda hope more entries would trickle in and it kinda slowed down. I'm torn; on the one hand it's only a click to enable that thread and start this back up again, but I didn't push forward last time and felt that was the right decision at the time. I dunno. What do folks think?

kevlarorc
December 10th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I just read through all four pages of this thread and this cliff-hanger is too much! I need a decal! :D

M-Oorb
December 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I still want a nice looking ninjette decal...i wanna represent the site that has helped me so much :)

Tripyn
January 6th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I just read through all four pages of this thread and this cliff-hanger is too much! I need a decal! :D

+1, I would also like to find that nifty lil 250r one that goes on the tail too! I like the font used on the black/white one back in the first couple of pages, it looks very similar to the same font used on the chainguard I bought for the bike.

Verus Cidere
January 9th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I'm not sure exactly what happened with this. We started the contest, had 13 entries (if I remember correctly) from a few different people, and then nothing really happened. We never had a vote, never even had a set of "Alex's Bests" like we did for the site logo (which aRc did an amazing job on, by the way), or anything. I'm not sure if everybody just forgot or if there weren't enough entries to satisfy a good contest, or what. :confused20:

EDIT: Just read Alex's post a few spaces above this. My thoughts: open the contest up again and try to get more interest. We've had even more members join recently, so we could try gathering a few more entries. We'll see where it gets. We can add the original entries to the new ones and have a better contest pool.

wellcraft
January 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Count me in. I'm getting so much help here that I have no problem representing ninjette.org.
This is a great site with a lot of help and great people.
I'm fairly new here and enjoying the time I spend here.

jcgirl
February 1st, 2010, 11:17 AM
I'd like a decal too. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help move things along.

M-Oorb
February 1st, 2010, 12:17 PM
I still really want one. Let me know if any help is needed to move this baby along...we can do this!

CThunder-blue
October 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hey guys, I know I'm late to the party, but maybe there really shouldn't be just one design? I have a vinyl cutter as well as some other people and we all know that once the design is finished, it's just a matter of clicking a few buttons and you can print a lot or a little. Why limit yourselves to one design? As long as the decal is readable, I'm sure you could represent ninjette.org according to your own taste.

It seems there's a lot of people willing to purchase decals, but it seems the decision making process is getting in the way. I understand some people may want to win the prize being offered, but I think the real goal is just to spread the word/support the website right? It can't be that hard to offer a few different designs in varying colors.