View Full Version : Laid the bike down

paterick4o8
June 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
..almost I mean :p

So yesterday on our weekly group ride, we reached town from the backroads and at a stop light it turned yellow. Some of them gunned it, and I decided brake instead.

I braked hard with my front and rear and gradually harder, and all of a sudden my bike started to swerve sideways back and forth with the rear swinging the most. Instead of panicking, in my head I was like "F*ck crashing!" and by some instinct, I gradually released some pressure off the brakes. This resulted in the swerving to minimize and I was able to straighten up and come to a complete stop, in the crosswalk.

I thought to myself, "what the hell caused it? I braked while going straight and it caused the bike to swerve?". Perhaps the tires weren't warm enough to grip (but this was towards the end of the ride so they should be warm right?)? Or there was some oil slick I hit? (since it was right a light where cars sit and wait for it to change to green). I didnt get a chance to look for oil on the street.

What do you guys think?

kkim
June 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I think you should find a different set of guys to ride with. You've posted more than your share of others in your group that have crashed in the last few weeks. I say this was your warning that you could be the next.

Alex
June 25th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Sounds like you locked the rear. Good work keeping it upright.

paterick4o8
June 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I think you should find a different set of guys to ride with. You've posted more than your share of others in your group that have crashed in the last few weeks. I say this was your warning that you could be the next.

a set up for a post to your "Who Do You Ride With?" thread :rolleyes:

Cali619
June 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM
It may have been that more break on the front really lightened up the rear and caused some fishtailing maybe?

capt_bugaloo
June 25th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I've been there. Sound like you locked up the rear and lost rear traction. You got it back so I guess you did alright - just use it as a learning experience of what not to do in the future.

addy126
June 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM

I agree with Kelly.... I've also noted reading the forums and one of Kelly's that too many are going down for a variety of reasons ... those should be a wake up call to anyone reading them.:thumbup:

paterick4o8
June 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I agree with Kelly.... I've also noted reading the forums and one of Kelly's that too many are going down for a variety of reasons ... those should be a wake up call to anyone reading them.:thumbup:

I like riding with the guys I ride with, actually I prefer it as I like to ride a moderate pace.

However I've given it some thought and I've come to the following question: do you not agree that it's the rider him/herself that controls what speed he/she rides?

For some, a rider's slow speed may be another rider's fast speed, but it's not like someone's behind them connected with chariot and whip making them go faster. More likely it's peer pressure, but that's something the rider must be able to overcome. That's something I consider to be included in the saying "ride safe"

kkim
June 25th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I agree with you, but with the number of crashes in your group lately, it's appears the ones in charge (and there is always someone in charge/responsible) are not looking out for the least common denominator.

To me, that's what makes a group good or bad to ride with. Sure you may not be connected, but peer pressure has a lot to do with it. If you find yourself out of your comfort or skill zone, perhaps you might consider finding another group that cares about the members that ride together or rides at a little slower pace to smell the roses.

g21-30
June 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM
What do you guys think?

You should have been a news reporter! :D All the sensationalism in the title was designed to get more readers. Kind of like the "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" in Aesop's Fables. I hope it never happens, but what will your title be, if you ever really do lay the bike down?

Good luck!

P.S. Sounds like you lost rear traction, for sure!

paterick4o8
June 25th, 2009, 02:50 PM
You should have been a news reporter! :D All the sensationalism in the title was designed to get more readers. Kind of like the "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" in Aesop's Fables. I hope it never happens, but what will your title be, if you ever really do lay the bike down?

Good luck!

P.S. Sounds like you lost rear traction, for sure!

it would be titled "I CRASHED FOR REALS THIS TIME!!!! NO JOKE!!!!" :p

lockie
June 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Getting back to the intersection close call. Some intersections have a completely different traction dynamic with your tires because of the rapid acceleration and hard braking that can occur over time at traffic lights. For a combination of reasons the 50 meters or so up to the stop line is much more slippery that the rest of the road, esp on a hot day. I got caught, not seriously, at one of those devious intersections just the other day.

CC Cowboy
June 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM

So yesterday on our weekly group ride, we reached town from the backroads and at a stop light it turned yellow. Some of them gunned it, and I decided brake instead.

I braked hard with my front and rear and gradually harder, and all of a sudden my bike started to swerve sideways back and forth with the rear swinging the most. Instead of panicking, in my head I was like "F*ck this is fun!" and by some instinct, I gradually released some pressure off my ass cheeks. This resulted in the swerving to minimize and I was able to straighten up and come to a complete stop, in the crosswalk.

I thought to myself, "what the hell, I should be on MotoGP! I braked while going straight and it caused the bike to swerve like the big guys". Perhaps the tires weren't warm enough to grip (but this was towards the end of the ride so they should be warm right?)? Or there was some slick talent I have?
What do you guys think?

U da man

paterick4o8
June 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
U da man

:rotflmao:

demp
June 26th, 2009, 05:43 AM
U da man

:D

Yeah, I've done this twice that I can recall, but also in a straight line, locking up the rear sure is an uncomfortable feeling, both were because the car in front of me suddenly hammered their brakes & I did the same (too much on the rear obviously), reason behind it was they were stopping to go over un-even pavement/grooved road, ya know like when they cut out a patch of road - to be replaced (I guess it's cheaper than actually repaving the whole thing), but they don't always put pylons by them, or paint them orange like they're supposed to... So basically, I've learned to leave more distance between cars on ****** roads :o

paterick4o8
June 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM
:D

Yeah, I've done this twice that I can recall, but also in a straight line, locking up the rear sure is an uncomfortable feeling, both were because the car in front of me suddenly hammered their brakes & I did the same (too much on the rear obviously), reason behind it was they were stopping to go over un-even pavement/grooved road, ya know like when they cut out a patch of road - to be replaced (I guess it's cheaper than actually repaving the whole thing), but they don't always put pylons by them, or paint them orange like they're supposed to... So basically, I've learned to leave more distance between cars on ****** roads :o

good tip to know :)
thanks

tjkamper
June 26th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I have a heavy right foot too. I think it is from all the muscle cars I've driven. I've gotten to the point that this rarely happens now. It always suprises me how tight I can squeeze the front brake without doing a stoppie. When I was 10 I had flipped over the front of a mountain bike from grabing the front brake on a really fast down hill run. Since then I've always been a little gun-shy of the front brakes.

Since then I have spent a lot of time learning where the limit on the front brake of the ninjette is and I am perfectly comfortable making a full brake now. Just go out to a parking lot and practice. It can be really fun. Start at 15 MPH and work your way up to about 40. It helps practice balance and keeping a straight line when coming to a light a well.

kazam58
June 26th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Interesting read. I've locked up the rear before, but the bike didn't fishtail like yours. Had it, I would've gone down because I was going about 60. The other fun experience I had with the rear coming out from under me was while going DOWN a mountain road into a sharp hairpin. I thought I was downshifting to 2nd gear, and so didn't blip the throttle much to match revs, while I was actually shifting into 1st. Well, of course, as I released the clutch the engine screamed about 2k rpms more than I was expecting and the rear started to go out. That was wicked fun though :D I held it out there until about midway through the turn and I was only going about 20mph, so it wasn't like I had to change my pants afterwards.
But kudos to you for not crashing and holding it together.