View Full Version : Birmingham AL drivers.

Chamus57
June 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Sometimes i think Birmingham is a gigantic bad driving contest. Had to lock the back tire today. Was minding my own business in the fast lane, halfway through the intersection the light turns yellow. A guy making a right turn pulls out in front of me. The right lane was clear and he made eye contact. He then proceeds to pull out fast, gets in my lane and slams on the brakes for no apparent reason. I was told and even when i drive when the light turns yellow and you are already in the intersection to go on through. Who knows maybe it was my fault but i see no reason for him to come into my lane and slam on the brakes, he didn't even turn until three streets later. Not to mention the fact it was a huge jacked 4x4 truck. That's not all that happened today but I'm tried, it was hot and i need to get to the speakeasy to cool off in more ways than one. On the bright side i watched the sunset yesterday. Was a back road ride of about 60miles. Kewl thing is that every intersection was clear and light green. Did not put my feet/foot down until i got home and parked her.

Alex
June 25th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Why did you lock the rear tire?

Chamus57
June 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Because i'm an idiot. It should not have happened.

capt_bugaloo
June 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Alex' point is that locking the rear brake is a sign of poor braking: about 70% of your stopping power is in the front brake. If you lock up the rear it generally means you need to use less rear and more front.

Yeah, I hear you about the bad drivers, but it doesn't sound like Birmingham, Alabama is any different from any other place - bad drivers are abundant everywhere.

sm0kediver
June 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Come to Atlanta sometime...

Chamus57
June 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I lived in Kennesaw, Acworth, and Marietta off and on for 9 years. I will say i saw a few bad ones there but for the most part it was a lot better. Other then everyone driving to fast at times and so much traffic that you had to plan your route carefully and have a back up plan in case of a accident blocking everything up. But you are right i would not want to ride everyday to work like i do here. When i first moved back to bama i was amazed at the lack of cars/traffic. Now it seems with the economy "being bad" that the traffic has tripled and that some people around here want you to run into them.

Cedilla
June 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I got the perfect solution for you, move to Huntsville.:p The Drivers are much better and the air is cleaner. Considering how close I am to Birmingham I have only been a few times. It seems like a congested cesspool to me( no offence).

Chamus57
June 27th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Wish i could. I got stuck behind a car bellowing smoke from the exhaust yesterday. I am having all kinds of breathing problems. I am sure it is not just from that but also riding everyday and the fact i had been sick. I hate to say it but think i am going to use the car next week.

Cedilla
June 27th, 2009, 09:27 PM
What scared me about Birmingham is that about 15 or 20 miles outside the city you can see the smog floating over the city, not a very beautiful site. I gotta get my car running tomorrow so I can drive it to work on these really hot days. The heats been really getting to me.

Chamus57
June 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Tell me about it. Birmingham cannot build any new factories unless they pass EPA admission tests for 2 or 3 years in a row. I was told this almost 15 years ago and could be wrong but i do know that we don't not have any kind of admission standards for vehicles like GA. Heat is always a issue for me in the south and the sad thing is my car does not have a air conditioner.

lockie
June 28th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Interesting thread. Makes me realize why I live in the North. Not that the drivers are any better thats for sure, but the air is much cleaner and it's not often that hot. If only we had a few more roads.

Cedilla
June 29th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah, well down here in the deep south you can wear shorts and a tee shirt almost year round.:p

Cedilla
June 29th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Tell me about it. Birmingham cannot build any new factories unless they pass EPA admission tests for 2 or 3 years in a row. I was told this almost 15 years ago and could be wrong but i do know that we don't not have any kind of admission standards for vehicles like GA. Heat is always a issue for me in the south and the sad thing is my car does not have a air conditioner.

I'm so glad we don't have yearly vehicle inspections here. I don't think I have ever had a car that would pass emissions test. :oilleak:

Cedilla
July 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I really did not know where to put this, but I figured Members in Alabama/ Tennessee would look at this thread, but anybody around North Alabama, North Georgia, and Southern Tenn should check out hwy 65. It runs from Paint Rock AL, to Huntland TN. One of the best roads I have found around this area, Just got back from a 150mi ride from North bama around south Tenn and I really enjoyed the roads around there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_State_Route_65

nate-bama
July 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I really did not know where to put this, but I figured Members in Alabama/ Tennessee would look at this thread, but anybody around North Alabama, North Georgia, and Southern Tenn should check out hwy 65. It runs from Paint Rock AL, to Huntland TN. One of the best roads I have found around this area, Just got back from a 150mi ride from North bama around south Tenn and I really enjoyed the roads around there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_State_Route_65

wheres that? have you ever rode through little river or cloudland canyon?
oh didnt see the link:)

Cedilla
July 14th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Where are those places at? I have lived close to Huntsville most of my life, and have never really seen alot of what North Alabama has to offer. Since I got my bike I have taken to looking at google maps, looking for towns and chose the path with the most squiggly lines to get there:). I do this just about every day that I can. Up untill this point I have had no idea just how rural the area is.

Chamus57
July 15th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Little River is awesome. Guntersville can be fun also. I took this trip
Look up 1155 Lodge Dr, Guntersville, AL‎ to Little River Canyon, Cherokee, Alabama 35967 on google maps. Oh hwy 24 is great. But it will bite you.
Gald you had a great ride will look into doing it next time i head that way. Oh and thanks for the info on good roads.

nate-bama
July 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Where are those places at? I have lived close to Huntsville most of my life, and have never really seen alot of what North Alabama has to offer. Since I got my bike I have taken to looking at google maps, looking for towns and chose the path with the most squiggly lines to get there:). I do this just about every day that I can. Up untill this point I have had no idea just how rural the area is.

cloudland canyon is right near trenton georgia and little river is near ft. payne lots of great riding..

Cedilla
July 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Oh, I will have to check it out sometime, I went down AL227 today through Lake Guntersville state park. I noticed the 25mph speed limit in the park, and about 5 or 6 deer later I figured out why. :llama:

Chamus57
July 15th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah i forgot about that Sorry. I also got stopped at a license check. I would not ride to the lodge at night because of the deer. I do like the roads up to it though.

randomwalk101
July 25th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Because i'm an idiot. It should not have happened.

does that mean all peeps in Birmingham are idiots (cagers and biker alike?) :D j/k

nate-bama
July 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
check this out www.hangglide.com , great roads around this area. Tried tandem, went to 2000 feet way better than being on the road