View Full Version : baffle removal

b_eastep
June 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM
just pulled the baffles out of the little ninja this evening. man i sure didnt expect them to be that big a PITA! sounds good though.

komohana
June 26th, 2009, 08:59 PM
has your performance been changed any?

Grn99Kawi
June 27th, 2009, 04:38 AM
good is a relative term.. I personally think that it becomes very raspy and too loud.. I'm sure you lost some low end torque with the backpressure decrease... if you want an exhaust sound you really need to do an 'engineered exhaust'... check ebay for a used setup.. I've seen several Muzzys for like $100-125.

JMO.. but if you like it that is all that matters...

b_eastep
June 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM
just road it around the yard last night so no real test yet. as for loud, i have two bro pipes on my 07 z1000 so i could completely remove the mufflers from the 250 and it would sound quiet to me. im going to hack the baffle off the endcap and reinstall the endcap with the same diameter outlet as was origionally so i wont loose any backpressure. and yea i would love to have a set of yoshis or TB or anything else actually but this is my GF learning bike so i wont put nice pipes on it till shes through dropping it. plus im so broke i still dont have insurance or a tag on it yet.

kkim
June 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
loud bikes suck.

Obsidian
June 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
loud bikes suck.

I'm noticing a trend with you Kim... lol.

On another note, I believe these exhaust are WAYYYY expensive for what you get. I definately want one, but the full header back exhaust on my car was cheaper than the cheapest I can find for my bike.

Good luck man, and post a video up of it when you're done so everyone can hear it.

b_eastep
June 27th, 2009, 11:23 AM
to each his own......

kkim
June 27th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I'm noticing a trend with you Kim... lol.

keen eye. :p

Grn99Kawi
June 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I have noticed that (for the most part) pregen 250s tend to keep stock exhausts while the 08/09 owners usually swap out theirs.. interesting

Obsidian
June 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I would love to swap mine out. I just can't afford it for only 1whp.

capt_bugaloo
June 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
to each his own......
Unless it wakes up the neighbors...

b_eastep
June 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM
i have no neighbors. dont get me wrong, im not the type of person that likes obnoxiously loud bikes, i just like to hear them thats all. this 250 with the baffles out isnt even as loud as my 93 F150 with flowmasters.

komohana
June 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I have noticed that (for the most part) pregen 250s tend to keep stock exhausts while the 08/09 owners usually swap out theirs.. interesting

noticed that too adam.
and i like the way my stock pipes sound...
but i'm gonna swap um out for a piece of area p pre-gen history! yeah baby!

:rad:

heh..sorry got carried away there :o

tapdiggy
July 6th, 2009, 12:33 AM
just pulled the baffles out of the little ninja this evening. man i sure didnt expect them to be that big a PITA!

can anyone give a little insight on how to gut the pipes on a pregen?

beowuff
July 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM
loud bikes suck.

+1,000,000

Loud pipes remove rights... :(

b_eastep
July 6th, 2009, 01:02 PM
drill or grind out rivets then remove baffles.

Wes
July 9th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I wonder if any of these "loud pipes" idiots have any idea of the consequences of their actions in the long term?

Boston just banned non-OEM pipes, looks like NYC is up next.

That's a REALLY big deal: old bikes with rotted pipes NEED to be able to run non-OEM pipes. Yes, quiet aftermarket pipes do exist. The loud pipes crowd gives us all a bad name, to such an extent that major cities are now enacting laws which screw all of us due to the actions of a few.

b_eastep
July 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM
to my knowledge no aftermarket pipes carry a C.A.R.B. number.

b_eastep
July 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
oh, and you can keep your namecalling bs to yourself. dont flame me on something you've never even heard.

nate-bama
July 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
good is a relative term.. I personally think that it becomes very raspy and too loud.. I'm sure you lost some low end torque with the backpressure decrease... if you want an exhaust sound you really need to do an 'engineered exhaust'... check ebay for a used setup.. I've seen several Muzzys for like $100-125.

JMO.. but if you like it that is all that matters...

i wish i could find a muzzy cheap like that

Grn99Kawi
July 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Doesnt CARB only apply to emission controlled vehicles? And only in California? Only cali pregens had some kind of emissions stuff on them.. and even then it was just the gas tank venting thing.. it is arguable how much it actually does..

Until 2008, N250s didnt have any type of pollution or emissions equipment on them... so it would be more about noise restrictions and ordinances than OEM replacement stuff.

Older bikes would have to be grandfathered in too.. like cars.. a car only has to have the equipment on it that it had when new... so a 1972 car wouldnt have to have a catalytic converter or a smog pump... but a 1975 would... technically.. even though the sniffer test doesnt apply in most states at that age.. so it wouldnt make sense for even my 99 to have to meet the same standards that a new 2009 must meet... unless they want to retrofit the powerplant :)

As for removing the baffles.. its your ears.. personally I dont like the fartpipe sound... some aftermarket exhausts sound nice, but they are also not for me. I keep exhausts for my cars.. the bike ironically stays stock.

JCCJMM_
July 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM
When I hear a 250 with loud exhaust, I cannot help but think of those guys with a late 90s model Civic DX with a Folger's coffee can "exhaust system".

tapdiggy
July 11th, 2009, 05:52 PM
just wondering: Are there any sources for dB levels for exhaust systems? Possibly pipe manufacturers publishing some kind of baseline for decibel increases over stock exhausts. I believe Area P might; they have stats for everything.

AnarchoMoltov
July 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I love my area p standard loud ass exhaust...People hear me coming and I notice them checking their rear view, and side mirrrors when they hear me buzzing up to them..It definitely is an extra safety measure if u ask me..And for bannning loud ass exhausts, I wouldnt count on it...Harley's are the loudest exhausts out there, and the loud pipes are their trademark..

kkim
July 11th, 2009, 07:15 PM
loud bikes suck.

backinthesaddleagain
July 11th, 2009, 08:57 PM
When I hear a 250 with loud exhaust, I cannot help but think of those guys with a late 90s model Civic DX with a Folger's coffee can "exhaust system".

the weed whacker on steroids sound

JCCJMM_
July 11th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I love my area p standard loud ass exhaust...People hear me coming and I notice them checking their rear view, and side mirrrors when they hear me buzzing up to them..It definitely is an extra safety measure if u ask me..And for bannning loud ass exhausts, I wouldnt count on it...Harley's are the loudest exhausts out there, and the loud pipes are their trademark..

I thought the Harley trademark was the 50-ish year old, no-helmet-wearin' dude sittin' on the seat.

tapdiggy
July 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
the weed whacker on steroids sound

maybe I'm not understanding what this means but weedwhackers are 2-stroke; wouldn't a juiced weedwhacker sound like a 2-stroke motorcycle? if only i could git that out of my EX250...:thumbup: