View Full Version : Motorcycle USA 2015 Entry Level Shootout

kdogg2077
May 24th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Here's another comparison of the RC390, Cbr300, Ninja 300 and the R3. I don't think this was already posted.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/25675/Motorcycle-Article/2015-Entry-Level-Sportbike-Shootout.aspx

I agree with their pick for number 1. So many choices nowadays!

cbinker
May 24th, 2015, 07:48 AM
I am willing to bet that Yamaha put some money into this "shootout"

Motofool
May 24th, 2015, 09:15 AM
........... So many choices nowadays!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

capt_bugaloo
May 24th, 2015, 11:18 AM
I am willing to bet that Yamaha put some money into this "shootout"
... or maybe the Yamaha really was the best of the bunch?

I like my little Ninja, but that doesn't mean I can't admit that other bikes can be better.

Alex
May 24th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Yep. It's also good that there is so much interest in this segment, that many different folks are doing comparison tests like this. Sometimes it is hard to relate the results, though. There are other recent reviews of the R3 calling the suspension and brakes a big let-down compared to expectations and its peers (like the Kawi); while this review thought that it was clearly superior.

cbinker
May 24th, 2015, 12:00 PM
This review was decided by rider preference, i do find it odd that all preferred the Yamaha.

kdogg2077
May 24th, 2015, 12:18 PM
I think the reason you see so many reviewers divided is that these are all good bikes with only a few small things that seperate them. You really can't go wrong with the Ninja 300, CBR300, R3 or the KTM.

Which is great for riders.

jkv45
May 24th, 2015, 01:26 PM
This review was decided by rider preference, i do find it odd that all preferred the Yamaha.
The latest MotorCyclist has a comparison also, but chose the KTM siting poor suspension (extra soft rear shock mostly) of the Yamaha.

They felt each had its pluses and minuses, and the best choice depends on what you want to focus on.

I've ridden a KTM, and it was OK, but I wasn't as thrilled as I thought I might be. I would like to ride the Yamaha.

Zaph42
May 24th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Yep. It's also good that there is so much interest in this segment, that many different folks are doing comparison tests like this. Sometimes it is hard to relate the results, though. There are other recent reviews of the R3 calling the suspension and brakes a big let-down compared to expectations and its peers (like the Kawi); while this review thought that it was clearly superior.

The big problem I see with the R3 (and the KTM too) is that they are direct link suspension in the rear. In other words, the rear shock bolts directly to the swingarm, and doesn't use a pivot plate. That is generally cheaping out on suspension. The CBR and N300 use linkage plates and will generally be the better handling bikes overall.

The rising rate of the rear shock can't be controlled as well without a linkage to control the rising rate curve, if you guys know what I mean.

Somchai
May 24th, 2015, 06:00 PM
For me interesting to read in an american test is the following sentence:
"Ironically, having ABS off brought the KTM to a stop more quickly than with it on. In 60-0 mph testing, the RC390 reached full stop in 148.2 feet without the aid of ABS, and 151.7 feet with the system on."
By the way this is what the deutsche TÜV, Bosch, BMW, Mercedes and all the others in Deutschland say since the beginning of ABS :rotflmao:

Alex
May 24th, 2015, 06:36 PM
It's what every test says everywhere, even in America, except for this one. It is a bit of a head-scratcher.

sparky80
May 25th, 2015, 06:46 AM

Odd that they all think it's the best bike? I'd prefer the Yamaha over all of them too and only ridden my ninja 300. It's a thing of beauty and Yamaha knows how to make a great bike.

cbinker
May 25th, 2015, 08:05 PM
For me interesting to read in an american test is the following sentence:
"Ironically, having ABS off brought the KTM to a stop more quickly than with it on. In 60-0 mph testing, the RC390 reached full stop in 148.2 feet without the aid of ABS, and 151.7 feet with the system on."
By the way this is what the deutsche TÜV, Bosch, BMW, Mercedes and all the others in Deutschland say since the beginning of ABS :rotflmao:

It's what every test says everywhere, even in America, except for this one. It is a bit of a head-scratcher.

I actually think that these bikes really don't have enough braking power for abs to be effective. not that it would help a new rider, but a well conditioned rider knowing the limits could out brake the abs.

Sirref
May 25th, 2015, 08:15 PM
^ seconded, I've activated my abs several times at the track recently and I know I wasn't braking as hard as I can on my pregen 250

no rear wheel lifts for me :(
anyone know if the N300 abs can be disabled temporarily? I like having it on the street but it gets in the way at the track