View Full Version : Danger factor. Pedalbike vs Motorcycle

MrAtom
May 26th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I'm taking a break from the Ninja, so I decided to fix my pedalbike to get my fix, as well as some exercise. I haven't ridden the pedalbike since I got my motorcycle license, or my car license for that matter, and I'm amazed at the differences. I feel incredibly vunerable on the pedalbike, and generally more afraid of cars and I feel like I'm going to be hit much more. People are MUCH less considerate of pedalbikes than motorcycles. I took two long trips today, some parts on the road, some parts on the sidewalk, and I would have felt much more comfortable on the Ninja. I know some of you folks pedal, too. What are your thoughts on this?

cadd
May 26th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Depends on the area. In NYC, there are so many cyclists that car drivers actually (kinda) look out for cyclists. But outside the populated areas, in more residential areas, there are less cyclists and drivers aren't usually as alert.

I commuted to work for a few years on a bicycle. Even during winter. It was only a 12 mile ride each way. But I found that the skills I developed as a cyclist (street smarts and reading traffic) helps me be a more proficient motorcyclist.

Racer x
May 27th, 2015, 04:10 AM
Bicycles are way more dangerous than motorcycles. I have ridden both forever and even went about ten years without a car. It's all about managing risk. You are responsible for your own life. The cars usually don't want to kill you. But like rocks rolling down a hill. If you get in front of one its a problem.
Riding a motorcycle is not safe. But neither is taking a bath in a slippery tub. But we manage risk. It's the same on a bicycle. Just be careful and play in traffic.

dcj13
May 27th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Bicycles are way more dangerous than motorcycles.

Amen, Brother Eric.

On a pedal bike, you're less visible, wearing less protective gear, with much worse brakes, and with a much greater speed differential than the surrounding traffic.

Be careful out there!

capt_bugaloo
May 27th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Having rode both bicycles and motorcycles quite a bit in city traffic, I would agree that bicycles are more vulnerable.