View Full Version : Riding a bike

cbinker
May 28th, 2015, 05:32 PM
This is for all the guys that think that they read how to do something means they know what they are talking about or doing.

http://utmnews.com/every-person-who-attempted-to-ride-this-bike-failed-the-reason-is-mind-blowing/

subxero
May 29th, 2015, 08:37 AM
This is for all the guys that think that they read how to do something means they know what they are talking about or doing.

Could be just me but I think this ^ could be worded better JMO. Basically just because you understand a concept and know what needs to be done to execute it, that does not mean that you can actually perform that task.

But that does not mean that you don't know what you are talking about. Look at coaches, most coaches could never do half of the things that they instruct others on how to do. They know exactly what they are talking about though. It's putting that understanding of a concept to use through repetition which makes the difference as this guy demonstrated.
But I find it interesting that he also showed that you may not realize that you are essentially reprogramming your brain so when you forcefully learn a "backwards" task you are potentially and unknowingly in a way unlearning other skills.

I wonder if this backwards bicycle training effected his driving at all? I wish he would have tried to hop back on the "backwards" bike shortly after he regained control of the normal bike. Would have been interesting. :thumbup:

NevadaWolf
May 29th, 2015, 08:50 AM
I hate those click bait sites. The video is cool enough without all that extra crap and bandwidth hogging ads.

MFzDaBzBlL0

DEFY
May 29th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Theory is obvious, all you have to do is steer the incorrect direction. It's like driving backwards, only issue is you are looking forward. However it also looks like the front wheel doesn't stay straight when you keep the handle bars straight, concept here perhaps you have to oscillate the handle bars to stay straight. Could I ride this cause I think it? Helll Nahhhhh!

subxero
May 29th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Theory is obvious, all you have to do is steer the incorrect direction. It's like driving backwards, only issue is you are looking forward. However it also looks like the front wheel doesn't stay straight when you keep the handle bars straight, concept here perhaps you have to oscillate the handle bars to stay straight. Could I ride this cause I think it? Helll Nahhhhh!

I believe it only appears that way. I think that like this video also says, you take for granted how much actually goes into riding a bicycle. The seemingly subtle inputs you would normally be giving the bike to keep it straight are now incorrect and cause this backwards bike to go the opposite direction you intend. So again since you can't process the actually theory/concept of it being backwards so that you give it the opposite physical input you are used to, you just keep giving the bike the normal inputs as if you were riding a normal bike to correct the misdirection of the backwards bike only making it worse. This gives the appearance that the bike is very sensitive to input and hard to keep straight (which it is) even a normal bike is hard to keep straight, but you have learned how to be subtle with the input and it seems like no big deal.

I wonder if riding with no hands would work, perhaps after you got up to speed? Not so sure about starting though?

DEFY
May 29th, 2015, 09:28 AM
I believe it only appears that way. I think that like this video also says, you take for granted how much actually goes into riding a bicycle. The seemingly subtle inputs you would normally be giving the bike to keep it straight are now incorrect and cause this backwards bike to go the opposite direction you intend. So again since you can't process the actually theory/concept of it being backwards so that you give it the opposite physical input you are used to, you just keep giving the bike the normal inputs as if you were riding a normal bike to correct the misdirection of the backwards bike only making it worse. This gives the appearance that the bike is very sensitive to input and hard to keep straight (which it is) even a normal bike is hard to keep straight, but you have learned how to be subtle with the input and it seems like no big deal.

I wonder if riding with no hands would work, perhaps after you got up to speed? Not so sure about starting though?

Most that try to go at it with pedaling and steering fail at the beginning. Those who push off and keep the handle bars kinda straight get off to a better start but as soon as they touch the handle bars they fail.

LittleRedNinjette
May 29th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I would love to try it but i know i would fall flat on my face. :lol:

Klondike1020
May 29th, 2015, 12:39 PM
The bar placement and stem make it even worse.....

It shifts your weight in the exact wrong way when you try to ride.

I want to get a bmx version of that to try out.... lol

it would make a great joke on your friends.

"A"
May 29th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I've seem similar bicycles at our county fair every few years.. $2 to ride it, win $50 if you can ride it 50 ft.

According to the vender, he's only seem 3 people win $50. :D

cbinker
May 29th, 2015, 01:07 PM
I hate those click bait sites. The video is cool enough without all that extra crap and bandwidth hogging ads.

MFzDaBzBlL0

sorry posted from my phone.

cbinker
May 29th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Could be just me but I think this ^ could be worded better JMO. Basically just because you understand a concept and know what needs to be done to execute it, that does not mean that you can actually perform that task.

But that does not mean that you don't know what you are talking about. Look at coaches, most coaches could never do half of the things that they instruct others on how to do. They know exactly what they are talking about though. It's putting that understanding of a concept to use through repetition which makes the difference as this guy demonstrated.
But I find it interesting that he also showed that you may not realize that you are essentially reprogramming your brain so when you forcefully learn a "backwards" task you are potentially and unknowingly in a way unlearning other skills.

I wonder if this backwards bicycle training effected his driving at all? I wish he would have tried to hop back on the "backwards" bike shortly after he regained control of the normal bike. Would have been interesting. :thumbup:

Pretty sure every coach i have ever had or met has participated in the activity. They can perform the actions, just not to the level of the ones they are coaching. in fact, i never take advice from someone that does not have experience in the activity.

I think this is a great video for the new riders out there that think they know what they are doing.

subxero
May 29th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Pretty sure every coach i have ever had or met has participated in the activity. They can perform the actions, just not to the level of the ones they are coaching. in fact, i never take advice from someone that does not have experience in the activity.

I think this is a great video for the new riders out there that think they know what they are doing.

i think you are misinterpreting what i am saying or at least making assumptions on it, sorry i am a bit of a stickler when it comes to details, after all the devil is in the details.

TLDR: there is a difference between trying and succeeding

Participating in an activity and doing it well or performing the actions which to me means doing them correctly to the T are not always related, kind of like you said, they can not perform on the same level as the individuals they are coaching. So basically what i said. Many coaches can not perform the tasks that they instruct others on, sure they might have participated in the activity at one point in time but that doesn't need to be the case and they never had to be good at it. Just because you can or have participated in basketball and go out and lob the ball at the rim and drag your out of shape ass up and down the court doesn't mean you are any good at it or actually "performing the task" If you are shooting 3 pointers and not making any of them then you are clearly not "performing the task" or doing it correctly, but that doesn't mean that you don't know exactly what you should be doing and you may actually be better at relaying that exact method/concept to others as a coach than you ever were or will be at doing the task the correct way yourself.

fishdip
May 29th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Just ride it with no hands.

cbinker
May 29th, 2015, 05:57 PM
i think you are misinterpreting what i am saying or at least making assumptions on it, sorry i am a bit of a stickler when it comes to details, after all the devil is in the details.

TLDR: there is a difference between trying and succeeding

Participating in an activity and doing it well or performing the actions which to me means doing them correctly to the T are not always related, kind of like you said, they can not perform on the same level as the individuals they are coaching. So basically what i said. Many coaches can not perform the tasks that they instruct others on, sure they might have participated in the activity at one point in time but that doesn't need to be the case and they never had to be good at it. Just because you can or have participated in basketball and go out and lob the ball at the rim and drag your out of shape ass up and down the court doesn't mean you are any good at it or actually "performing the task" If you are shooting 3 pointers and not making any of them then you are clearly not "performing the task" or doing it correctly, but that doesn't mean that you don't know exactly what you should be doing and you may actually be better at relaying that exact method/concept to others as a coach than you ever were or will be at doing the task the correct way yourself.

I have never had a coach that could not perform the task asked.

subxero
May 29th, 2015, 06:13 PM
cool :thumbup: